Best solid state phone amp under $1K
Dec 20, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vangelis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would spend up to a $1000 on an amp. The GS-1 is one contender. I read that the SLP Auditor is pretty much same amplifier section as the Phonitor but with out all the controls. I listen at very low levels so I require an amp that sounds great at the bottom of it's gain control. I have read that the Auditor sounds fleshed out at a low volumes but I've always like the sound of class A amps and I can't find the spec on the Auditor's amp section.

The other amp that looked promising that appears well built and designed (class A amp) is the Burson HA-160 but I have not found much feed back on this new product. The Auditor and Burson are near the same cost as the GS-1. Perhaps the Burson and the Auditor being newer designs with more current component parts may surpass the GS-1?

X2 on Auditor and here are specs from Auditors manual -

Max. Output Performance: 1,7 W (+32,2 dBm)
@ 1 kHz and 600 Ω connection
360 mW (+25,6 dBm)
@ 1 kHz and 30 Ω connection
It is wonderful amp and I usually don't listen to it at very loud volumes (HD650 is at about 10 am on dial) so I don't understand where this fleshed out talk comes from. Link to Auditor's manual - http://www.spl.info/fileadmin/user_u..._2910_BA_E.pdf

Dec 21, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vangelis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to have a Headamp GS-1 and I sold it, now I miss it. I want another solid state amp but again I want to keep my investment under a $1000. Is there another solid state amp under a $1000 that competes with the GS-1?

Gold point headphone amp with upgraded PCB board & heat sink.. Very similar to the GS1 (transparent/no colorization.neutral/high resolution/, but not as versatile, & lacks the extended highs..

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #22 of 27
By "fleshed out" I meant full bodied. Driving my D-7000 phones direct from my sony Es CD player singers sound endemic and thin like there is no meat on their bones. I'm not so good at Audiophile lingo.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #23 of 27
I understood perfectly well what you meant. I merely pointed out that I don't have any problems with it at low volumes. It doesn't lose any body for me, but since you are already familiar with GS1 sound signature perhaps it is the safest bet for you. Justin has a long waiting time though - 8-12 weeks.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #24 of 27
Your right, as I recall the GS-1 was pretty strong at low volumes. More than likely I will end up owning another one. My only thought was that it was introduced back in 05 and perhaps there is an amp that betters it (for the $) today. It is a good amp. Thanks

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #26 of 27
I'm leaning towards the GS-1 or the Auditor, both available with out a stepped attenuator which is important to me. The Burson amp is only available with stepped attenuator. When I listen at the low volumes and with a stepped control, the volume I want is always somewhere in between the step positions available . The Auditor sounds interesting but I would really like to hear from someone who may have compared it to a GS-1

Dec 24, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #27 of 27
I'm selling my Auditor, despite liking it a lot - I just can't justify having it in my rig given another excellent headphone amplifier and the cash I laid down for an HD800. But I will say that I think the Auditor is a terrific amp - all the good that comes from a solid state amp in terms of dynamics, transparency, and clarity, without any of the grain or harshness that can come from poor implementation. I vastly prefer it to the other (admittedly lower-end) SS amps I have had in my system - the LD MKV, Compass, and McCormack Micro Drive, all of which I found to be slightly sharp and grainy in the treble region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back