Best solid state phone amp under $1K
Dec 20, 2009 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Vangelis

100+ Head-Fier
I used to have a Headamp GS-1 and I sold it, now I miss it. I want another solid state amp but again I want to keep my investment under a $1000. Is there another solid state amp under a $1000 that competes with the GS-1?

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 27
You should've never sold your GS-1
wink.gif

I can't think of another solid state amp under $1000 that combines the performance and functionality/flexibility of GS-1.

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 27
Stello HP100
biggrin.gif

I like mine alot ! I bought mine on the forum, and it was well under $1K. You can use to input and can switch the gain. There is also a filter on the back that allow you to change to sound.

It's a very nice amp !

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 27
Get Phoenix used.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #10 of 27
A good question here is, do you intend to use whatever you get with balanced headphones?

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 27
I just bought the Denon 7000 cans single ended -stock. My plan was to monitor from my Sony XA5400es. I had read that the 7000s were not hard to drive, but wow they sound wimpy direct in the CD player. I have not heard RSA HR-2 but I'm under the impression that it was an older design. Has the RSA HR-2 benefited from tinkle down technology from say the Apache or other RSA products? Anyone compared a RSA HR-2 direct to a GS-1?

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #13 of 27
If you want to save money (while not losing much in terms of quality) then M3 would be a good idea. It is supposed to have really good and tight bass along with very slightly warm mids which will help the denon. Just make sure you get the sigma11 power supply along with it for best performance. All of that should be around 500$, I guess. There is one disadvantage in this setup IMHO. Since Denons are supposed to be inherently smooth, this setup can get very sugary.

Other options include a Rudistor NX-03 and a used Phoenix (Skylab mentioned that d5000 would be a good match for phoenix in his review)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I still had my Denon D5000’s – I bet they would sound great with the Phoenix if my memory of them serves me.

Apparently the beta22 is supposed to be so good that the Denons shake like subwoofers with them. Godlike deep bass, in other words.
biggrin.gif
Also check out this post - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6009914-post236.html

I guess that covers a lot of options.

Edit: Just checked that you had a better Rudistor for sale. I guess you know the signature and have already ruled it out then.

Edit 2: Check out this link for a comparison between HR-2 and Raptor, both from RSA - 6moons audio reviews: Ray Samuels Audio Raptor

Edit 3 (I know this is too much
biggrin.gif
):

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2565039-post5.html

This link is a comparison between GS1 and Raptor. Now HR-2 was warmer and punchier than raptor and GS1 is thinner than Raptor. Therefore HR-2 is warmer than GS1. M3 is also gonna be warmer than GS-1. Phoenix is gonna be slightly warmer but very transparent and nearly neutral, although very smooth and romantic in comparison. Beta22 is going to be transparent and smooth but closer to GS1 in terms of sound. I hope I am making sense.

Just to be clear, I don't own any of these amps and this information has been collected from the referred sources.

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 27
I would spend up to a $1000 on an amp. The GS-1 is one contender. I read that the SLP Auditor is pretty much same amplifier section as the Phonitor but with out all the controls. I listen at very low levels so I require an amp that sounds great at the bottom of it's gain control. I have read that the Auditor sounds fleshed out at a low volumes but I've always like the sound of class A amps and I can't find the spec on the Auditor's amp section.

The other amp that looked promising that appears well built and designed (class A amp) is the Burson HA-160 but I have not found much feed back on this new product. The Auditor and Burson are near the same cost as the GS-1. Perhaps the Burson and the Auditor being newer designs with more current component parts may surpass the GS-1?

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #15 of 27
I think Leeperry has a HA-160. You can PM him for impressions. It is true that there is not much information about it otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back