Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #436 of 7,916
Don't be silly. Who in their right mind would splash out funny money for a standalone dap for music when they could get a perfectly great smartphone which does so much more. You won't even know if someone calls you while you are listening to your standalone thing. This seems ridiculous to me.

These snake oil £1k+ DAPs that are springing up like mushrooms at the moment are conning the hell out of the poor gullible like nobodies business.

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #437 of 7,916
Don't be silly. Who in their right mind would splash out funny money for a standalone dap for music when they could get a perfectly great smartphone which does so much more. You won't even know if someone calls you while you are listening to your standalone thing. This seems ridiculous to me.

These snake oil £1k+ DAPs that are springing up like mushrooms at the moment are conning the hell out of the poor gullible like nobodies business.
Good question...

How I see it, and you can track my history of phones if you like, had too many to list whilst replying to this on my phone, is that having a higher end DAP, the sound quality is more of an important to the designer, and you can hear that so so easily...

It is the difference between, and find your own analogy as you wish, having cigars instead of cigarettes, a fine wine instead of cider, a 4k TV instead of a crt, much more of a window into the music...

I have been one of the very strongest advocates of using a phone instead of a dap, and whilst at the X5 class of DAP I WOULD agree with you, stepping up to the next level, SQ does leave phones behind...

If you're that concerned that you'll miss a call, that is a life choice, me, I'd rather have great SQ, and feel my phone vibrate in my pocket...

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #438 of 7,916

I'm with you on this one. DAPs are snake oil if your headphones are easy to drive. They are not so if you have harder to drive headphones, like HD 650 for instance, then again even if they can drive those headphones to listenable levels, they certainly can't drive them to their full potential so many people also use a very expensive amp with the DAP, like Chord Hugo + AK 240. What a waste of money. I know it, because I had those devices for some periods of time and they certainly weren't worth the money they're sold for. Hugo was the worst audio purchase in my life as such, I'll never buy a Chord product again.

With easier to drive headphones, like the Earsonics Velvet that I have, an iPhone 6 or an HTC One M9 is more than enough. I never ever miss calls this way. I rarely feel vibration of the phone when I'm on the go so hearing the ringing tone is important to me. Besides I can do two things at once, like listening to music and browsing the web on 4G. Smartphones with good audio output is the future, DAPs are just for a niche market, thus the high prices.

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #439 of 7,916
Seriously, all phones are similar. If you want a gaming device, buy a tablet like iPad Air 2. If you want a DAP, buy hifi man or ZX2. Buy a cheap smartphone to make calls. What I do lol.

I came to that conclusion too ! Even the best audiophile smartphone won't best any real dap, all smartphones have mobile dac with limited perfomances and have been tuned to please average joe not demanding audiophiles !

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #441 of 7,916
Pity me in my averageness then.
As said in my post, I was an advocate of your standpoint for ages, there is a difference though, if SQ is your primary factor (rather than the convenience of a one device does all)

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #443 of 7,916
This is a thread about smartphones though. My htc one m8 floats my boat perfectly.
yes, and you said that DAPs are snake oil, providing balance, still have the S6,M9 and iPhone 6+, so can sit on either side of the fence...

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #444 of 7,916
Hi, I'm new here and I wanted to ask of the opinion of you guys. I want to change my phone but I have a problem deciding between the S6 and the HTC M9. My current cans are ATH PRO 700 MkIIs and I listen to mostly deep house, hardstyle and eurobeat with more emphasis on bass. So I wanted to know which phone would be a better choice.

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #445 of 7,916
Hi, I'm new here and I wanted to ask of the opinion of you guys. I want to change my phone but I have a problem deciding between the S6 and the HTC M9. My current cans are ATH PRO 700 MkIIs and I listen to mostly deep house, hardstyle and eurobeat with more emphasis on bass. So I wanted to know which phone would be a better choice.
M9 has more prominence in the bass and treble (V shaped EQ), the S6 is arguably more balanced - never heard your cans, so not sure if they're already V shaped with their EQ, and if that may be overkill with the M9?!?

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #446 of 7,916
M9 has more prominence in the bass and treble (V shaped EQ), the S6 is arguably more balanced - never heard your cans, so not sure if they're already V shaped with their EQ, and if that may be overkill with the M9?!?

The setup with my current phone is V shaped but it's a crappy phone with a crappy DAC so I can't really enjoy my music. With a DSP like Viper4Android can I make the s6 sound better than the m9? Because the s6 seems to offer more things and performs much better than the m9.

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #447 of 7,916

The setup with my current phone is V shaped but it's a crappy phone with a crappy DAC so I can't really enjoy my music. With a DSP like Viper4Android can I make the s6 sound better than the m9? Because the s6 seems to offer more things and performs much better than the m9.

No it doesn't

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #450 of 7,916
No it doesn't

Well then are you able to explain why it doesn't?

M9-Much better sound quality, smoother ui, SD card support, much better battery life, camera with Raw support, boom sound speakers, don't start with snapdragon 810 overheating issues, doesn't exist on m9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back