Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jul 8, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #91 of 5,166
Does someone owns Axon Mini? Not 7 mini. Price is pretty low on Ali for Axon Mini, and from what i heard, sound through 3.5 jack is not so different from 7 mini, is it true?. But 5.1 android ofc is a huge drawback, so should i buy it, or just wait till ZTE will restock 7 minis, because currently they are run out of them on gearbest.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #92 of 5,166
Does someone owns Axon Mini? Not 7 mini. Price is pretty low on Ali for Axon Mini, and from what i heard, sound through 3.5 jack is not so different from 7 mini, is it true?. But 5.1 android ofc is a huge drawback, so should i buy it, or just wait till ZTE will restock 7 minis, because currently they are run out of them on gearbest.
Drawback on original axon mini is that it only supports 16bit 48khz audio, so kind of useless as a high res player or even cd since all the audio will get resampled, would suggest going for something better, not to mention i has no more software support.

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #93 of 5,166
Drawback on original axon mini is that it only supports 16bit 48khz audio, so kind of useless as a high res player or even cd since all the audio will get resampled, would suggest going for something better, not to mention i has no more software support.

Might be a little bit sound science. I would like to ask how to verify if the device reproduces native sampling rate (SRC). What is the measuring tools, audio file tests, software that I need to invest in order to get the answer?

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #94 of 5,166
Might be a little bit sound science. I would like to ask how to verify if the device reproduces native sampling rate (SRC). What is the measuring tools, audio file tests, software that I need to invest in order to get the answer?
Simplest way would be to try poweramp alpha for the input stage(to see what the paths for audio are capable on android device or open up audiopolicy.config file), for other devices it comes down to what software they are running, for the output just plug it into a oscilloscope if available, wanted to do that for a long time, never really got the chance. That's just for the input/ output, how to measure what it does in between I can not say. In most cases you can only truly measure the output stage and not the input.

In the case of axon mini,I am going by what everyone has reported about the device, measuring it, and with the actual audio policy.config file, it can only do 16bit 48khz output, no matter the source file, atlest that is what everyone keeps saying, including the dev of poweramp,. In case of axon 7 and axon 7 mini 24bit 44,1/48-192khz path is possible.

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #95 of 5,166
Ok Guys,

Now I know how to measure output using True RTA. (I use mini to mini connecting into my Line In Desktop computer.) I use 1Khz Test tone 16 bit/44.kHz wav as audio file.

EDIT: Now I know how to calibrate. I use DX200 line out mode attach to the program and adjust recording scale until Vrms is shown to 3 Vrms as per iBasso Spec. (which I get 2.95 Vrms in the program)

Note: If I do anything wrong, please inform me. This is first time I use the program.

This is ibasso DX200 Headphone out same as iBasso Team tells in their spec sheet.
upload_2017-7-9_19-35-48.png

This is xplay 6 max volume 2.5 Vrms
upload_2017-7-9_19-37-38.png

This is Letv Max max volume = 2.1 Vrms
upload_2017-7-9_19-38-22.png

This seems logical now.
Again, If what I do has anything wrong, please inform me. This is first time I use the program.

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-9_18-7-6.png
    upload_2017-7-9_18-7-6.png
    73 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2017-7-9_18-20-25.png
    upload_2017-7-9_18-20-25.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2017-7-9_18-22-23.png
    upload_2017-7-9_18-22-23.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #96 of 5,166
There seems to be a Chinese guy commenting on X9s plus sound quality in this link: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5211979639?pn=1 Try google translate it.

Long Story short: x9s plus 's driving force is weak, SQ not even close to xplay6 and not even better than x9 plus. For vivo, xplay serie is for flagship audio.

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #98 of 5,166
Are the gsmarena sound test accurate? HTC 10, lg v20, zte axon7 have bad results through jack.. Oppo 7a ( which i own ) has very bad stats! Among the worst! On the other hand, S7, S8, G6, Mate 8 have very good stats.. What is going on?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ZTE-Axon-7-Smartphone-Review.182649.0.html

<<Compared to all devices tested
» 65% of all tested devices were better, 8% similar, 27% worse>>

What is going on?? :S

I am so confused..

I wanna buy a new phone and my priority is the music quality from the jack. I was waiting for 1+5 but it was disappointing.. So now i am between these : v20, zte axon 7 , g6+ ( when is comes.. ) , something else?? Dont know..

Also the weight is important to me cause i have it with my while i run. And i dont wanna use any more equipment like dac and amplifiers.. Why should i? Arent these phones best in audiophile category?

Also i want an opinion about Xiaomi mi6 for my wife. Does it have good sound quality?

Jul 9, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #99 of 5,166
Take those numbers with a grain of salt.Also devices like v20 have gain detection which makes measurements harder , EU models also have software limitations on output power aswell. Would say Ignore them for the most part only thing you can look at is the frequency response there, rather read user opinions here and elswhere on the web.

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #100 of 5,166
Are the gsmarena sound test accurate? HTC 10, lg v20, zte axon7 have bad results through jack.. Oppo 7a ( which i own ) has very bad stats! Among the worst! On the other hand, S7, S8, G6, Mate 8 have very good stats.. What is going on?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ZTE-Axon-7-Smartphone-Review.182649.0.html

<<Compared to all devices tested
» 65% of all tested devices were better, 8% similar, 27% worse>>

What is going on?? :S

I am so confused..

I wanna buy a new phone and my priority is the music quality from the jack. I was waiting for 1+5 but it was disappointing.. So now i am between these : v20, zte axon 7 , g6+ ( when is comes.. ) , something else?? Dont know..

Also the weight is important to me cause i have it with my while i run. And i dont wanna use any more equipment like dac and amplifiers.. Why should i? Arent these phones best in audiophile category?

Also i want an opinion about Xiaomi mi6 for my wife. Does it have good sound quality?

If you allow me to recommend, Get V20 and Xplay6 for you and your wife. Both device has high gain mode and driving force is huge so you dont need to add additional dac amp.

Xiaomi is by-far out of audiophile centric league. They aim only of pond per pound smartphone (which is good enough for normal people)

And dont care much at gsmarena review. They dont know how to review sound properly. Headfi is more trustable source.

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #104 of 5,166
What about the g6 version with quad dac. I can find it at 370 euros price. Isn't the same with LG v20?

As state in Table List, G6 is brighter version of V20.

So if you think V20 is balanced already, You will feel G6 as too cold.

But if you think V20 is warm, you will feel G6 is better cuz you hear more treble.

It depends on your headphone/IEM match up as well. 370 EUR is quite okay IMO (same price as retail price in my country)

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #105 of 5,166
Sorry but i am not an expert audiophile, i just like listening music.. I dont understand what IEM is.. I will use only in-ear headphones, nothing else.. And i dont know how lg v20 sound.. I only have an oppo 7a and i think the music is ok with dirac sound.

I dont wanna use adapters, amps or anything else to improve the quality, cause i will have the phone on my pocket while running. Just the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back