Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jul 7, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #78 of 5,166
Can anyone recommend between the Meizu MX4 Pro and the Pro 5, based on pure sound quality? I see both are recommended in post 1 (thank you, artpiggo).

It is really long time for me already plus they are tested in different conditions. mx4 pro tested with UE900 with android 4 based while Pro5 is tested with U12 with android 5 base. so hard to tell exactly if Pro5 does better in sound or not.

But they are both decent sound device. That is for sure.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #79 of 5,166
Updated on 7 Jul 17

Table Changelog

Add vivo x9s and x9s plus into the list. Unfortunately, it comes with only 64GB ROM with no micro sd card slot. this is quite a deal breaker for me and audiophiles even though x9s plus comes with new ESS chip - ES9318 which seems to be a successor of ES9218 in V20. #FeelSadMan

Jul 7, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #80 of 5,166
Updated on 7 Jul 17

Table Changelog

Add vivo x9s and x9s plus into the list. Unfortunately, it comes with only 64GB ROM with no micro sd card slot. this is quite a deal breaker for me and audiophiles even though x9s plus comes with new ESS chip - ES9318 which seems to be a successor of ES9218 in V20. #FeelSadMan
Yeah, saw the specs of them yesterday and immediately thought that they are shooting themselves in the foot with that storage config. Not to have expandable storage in 2017?

Jul 7, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #81 of 5,166
I am due a new phone very soon, so I thought I would go down the audiophille route. If I was to go for one of the recommeneded phones on the list, which one would it be? I have a chord mojo running audioquest nightowls if that helps.

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #82 of 5,166
I am due a new phone very soon, so I thought I would go down the audiophille route. If I was to go for one of the recommeneded phones on the list, which one would it be? I have a chord mojo running audioquest nightowls if that helps.

So you gonna find the smartphone as transport for MOJO or you want the smartphone that can do nearly same sound quality like MOJO. I am not clear to your inquiry.

If you want to ask for Smartphone recommendation, please follow this format
Price range:
IEM/ Headphone used:
Screen size:
What kind of sound you wanna get: more warm? more detail? bigger soundstage?
What kind of music you mainly listen: Pop? Rock? EDM? Orchestra?
Special request: Need dual camera / higher than snapdragon 820 / No Chinese smartphone etc.

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #83 of 5,166

if you have a mojo and you indend to use it with the smartphone, then you might have any phone with usb otg support, or an iphone. you won't be using the phone's dac anyway. also, there are no phones with audiophile usb output, so basically your phone + mojo + nightowls setup would sound the same with any decent phone.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #84 of 5,166
to add to the debate:
https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2016/06/02/qualcomm-aqstic-sets-new-standard-audiophiles

A Qualcomm Snapdragon powered smartphone with integrated Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec is engineered to deliver those sounds—no additional equipment (or dollars) needed. And there has been no shortage of smartphones featuring Qualcomm Aqstic, including the HTC 10 and Xiaomi Mi5, powered by the Snapdragon 820 processor (check out these awesome reviews).

Shouldn't the mi5 be also on the list?

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #85 of 5,166
Apologies I should I have made it clear. I am currently using a phone with the mojo but if I could get away without it for portable reasons then I would be very happy
Price range: upto £400
IEM/ Headphone used: nightowls, meze 99, Sony ex1000 iem
Screen size: would like large screen
What kind of sound you wanna get: would like a detailed sound stage.
What kind of music you mainly listen: metal, edm, film soundtracks, hip hop and classic rock
Special request: Need camera

Jul 7, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #86 of 5,166
Apologies I should I have made it clear. I am currently using a phone with the mojo but if I could get away without it for portable reasons then I would be very happy
What kind of music you mainly listen: metal, edm, film soundtracks, hip hop and classic rock
Large screen, good camera?
LG V10 (cheap) or V20 (more expensive).
Meizu Pro 5 as a second choice (cheap), but the camera requires a bit more manual mode than on the LGs, due to a lazy autofocus. Autonomy is better than the LGs, although you can easily buy a bigger battery for the LGs (my V10 has a bigger battery which nearly double the autonomy, the standard battery drains fast to the second screen and quad-HD).

Most other models listed here have either a more standard camera, or no external storage (microsd slot), or have smaller screens.

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #87 of 5,166

Letv Max (x900) would be your best option. It has decent detail and soundstage are wide. And with its tight bass, it can match up with EDM, metal, rock very well. It has largest screen among smartphone as well. But in Aliexpress, we couldn't find 128 GB version anymore, there is only 64 GB for ~210 GBP

If you think you need micro sd slot, I recommend LG V20.

Jul 7, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #88 of 5,166
Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #89 of 5,166
artpiggo,
so why not to include VIVO X6 Plus into the list? Or you just include the smartphones you personally listened to?
It's hard to evaluate in details, because a lot of things depend on headphones. And all ears are different.
As to the mentioned smartphone, IMHO it has a decent sound - with warm tint, I would say. Vocal and string section sound especially good at it. I am not sure it's good for fast music though - seems like amplifier does not manage to handle it, so the sound is a bit blurred. But better to ask for alternative opinion or read review on soomal, maybe something is wrong with my ears, hehe.
I had a chance to compare it against Xiaomi Mi Note Pro and I can say I like VIVO X6 Plus better: its sound is more detailed against too simplified and flat sound of Mi Note Pro, with which I honestly have been disappointed...

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #90 of 5,166
artpiggo,
so why not to include VIVO X6 Plus into the list? Or you just include the smartphones you personally listened to?
It's hard to evaluate in details, because a lot of things depend on headphones. And all ears are different.
As to the mentioned smartphone, IMHO it has a decent sound - with warm tint, I would say. Vocal and string section sound especially good at it. I am not sure it's good for fast music though - seems like amplifier does not manage to handle it, so the sound is a bit blurred. But better to ask for alternative opinion or read review on soomal, maybe something is wrong with my ears, hehe.
I had a chance to compare it against Xiaomi Mi Note Pro and I can say I like VIVO X6 Plus better: its sound is more detailed against too simplified and flat sound of Mi Note Pro, with which I honestly have been disappointed...

Actually because when I make a table, I use https://liaow.com/ to see all vivo's spec.

But x6,x7 and plus version indicate as No selling anymore and I don't know whether I should put it there for device that cannot buy anymore. (at that time, I rush to make table and forget to find if it is in aliexpress or not)

After you mention, Now I search on aliexpress, there are few stores selling them so I put them right there. Thank you for mentioning them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back