Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jul 2, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #61 of 5,166
So Meizu Pro 5 is better than HTC 10, although they're both warm sounding? Which is better as a phone (no lags, no technical issues, camera etc.)

To my IEM and my preference, I like Pro5's treble than in HTC10's. That is why I feel it more balanced to enjoy every genre while keeping the warmth presence.

Jul 4, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #62 of 5,166
According to this article,
https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com/news/top-4-phones-for-music-lovers-audiophiles-0175956/

the ZTE Axon does not use it's DAC/amp unless you are using the built in music player, it will not use it when using streaming service such as Spotify. Too bad, I would like to find a phone that leaned more towards the bright end rather than warm, but I use Spotify premium a lot, so whatever I get must support that.

I may be exaggerating my preference, but it is important to me to have vocals out in front, with much detail,especially in treble. It seems many of the phones, at least the phones available in USA, lean towards the "warm" side, which scares me off.

Many thanks for your efforts putting this together, much appreciated!

Jul 4, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #63 of 5,166
https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com/news/top-4-phones-for-music-lovers-audiophiles-0175956/

the ZTE Axon does not use it's DAC/amp unless you are using the built in music player, it will not use it when using streaming service such as Spotify. Too bad, I would like to find a phone that leaned more towards the bright end rather than warm, but I use Spotify premium a lot, so whatever I get must support that.

I may be exaggerating my preference, but it is important to me to have vocals out in front, with much detail,especially in treble. It seems many of the phones, at least the phones available in USA, lean towards the "warm" side, which scares me off.

May be LG G6 could be the one for you. But you need to import quad dac version or you could wait LG G6+ series.

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #65 of 5,166

It might be worth listening to Lenovo Vibe X3 at least once before making decisions.

It has a bug where you need to use quick shortcutmaker to get Headset setting shortcut and select HD650 as Headset to get better output.

But I believe it is worth a try considering your requirements about vocals and treble.

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #67 of 5,166
Hello, have anyone try Vivo V5s with AK4736 (the same on vivo x9 and ZTE nubia Z11)? If yes, please share your real experience (and kind of IEM/,headphone used:?). Thank you :D

I plan to test at local vivo shop tomorrow and will come up with short description. Hope you can wait :)

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #70 of 5,166
Hello, have anyone try Vivo V5s with AK4736 (the same on vivo x9 and ZTE nubia Z11)? If yes, please share your real experience (and kind of IEM/,headphone used:?). Thank you :D
I am not sure if this would be helpful.
I haven't tried vivo v5s, but have tried vivo V3 which comes with my AK4735. It does have a decent audio quality. It's definitely better than regular Snapdragon or Mediatek ones. Sound is a little on the bright side. It has adequate power for normal use and with is. But with my Fostex t50rp mk3 I had to use an external amp to drive them properly.
If you are not using planars or high impedence headphones it should be fine.
All these are from vivo V3 which has AK4735. So I am guessing with AK4736 sound could have improved. It's a wild guess though :wink:
With vivo v series you can enable DAC for predefined apps like in built vivo player, YouTube and a few others. But with vivo x series, you can choose DAC to be enabled for Spotify and other streaming app services as well.

Jul 6, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #72 of 5,166
It might be worth listening to Lenovo Vibe X3 at least once before making decisions.

It has a bug where you need to use quick shortcutmaker to get Headset setting shortcut and select HD650 as Headset to get better output.

But I believe it is worth a try considering your requirements about vocals and treble.
Edit, was wrong. Though my question is what do the headphone profiles actually do other than give more output power?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #73 of 5,166

I test it with ve monk plus red exclusive.

The result is v5s is so powerless. Can't even feel any emotion of the songs. There is no impact and drum slam. What I hear is just some treble, least bass, emotionless thin vocal in a small soundstage. Not even close to xplay6 or x9.

So yeah, if it is same price with other two -x9 and z11, delete v5s from your candidate.

IMG_20170706_162933.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back