Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jun 11, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #2,552 of 5,166
Hello people:

I´m looking for a flagship phone with exelent audio i mostly listen into music withe earphones or directlly through smartphone speakers (bass is important) what do you think between Samsung S10 or the new Xperia 1, perhaps LG V40 could be a good choice altough is not stereo but the boombox system looks interesting. Any opinion?
Thankyou in advance

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #2,553 of 5,166
Hello people:

I´m looking for a flagship phone with exelent audio i mostly listen into music withe earphones or directlly through smartphone speakers (bass is important) what do you think between Samsung S10 or the new Xperia 1, perhaps LG V40 could be a good choice altough is not stereo but the boombox system looks interesting. Any opinion?
Thankyou in advance
LG G8 ThinQ measures better than V40 and is also Meridian tuned. I'd link you, but the results are behind a paywall.

edit: I should not the G8 speaker is not known for its bass. I personally always listen through earphones or a bluetooth speaker.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #2,554 of 5,166
Hello people:

Thankyou in advance

Vivo nex S

Jun 15, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #2,556 of 5,166
Jun 15, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #2,558 of 5,166

Send email to paul@ibasso.com

He can answer everything you want.

Also, there is software upgrade in ibasso.com

They are very responsive in fixing a bug.

Jun 15, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #2,560 of 5,166
This might not be the right thread but I was curious where I should ask this.

What is the opinion of a phone (iPhone XS in my case with Qobuz high res) versus a DAP when the DAC/Amp are not important and the phone is feeding a desktop DAC and AMP?

The phone doesn’t have optical which could help in my use case. But other than that, are there significant differences in quality?

Jun 16, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #2,561 of 5,166

What is the opinion of a phone (iPhone XS in my case with Qobuz high res) versus a DAP when the DAC/Amp are not important and the phone is feeding a desktop DAC and AMP?

The phone doesn’t have optical which could help in my use case. But other than that, are there significant differences in quality?

Should be slight difference due to the app and software and clock difference. If you believe digital matters.

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #2,562 of 5,166

I don't understand your question iPhone using which output? Compared to DAP? Compared to DAC/AMP? Please clarify.

For technical performance, iphone with Apple USB-C 3.5mm dongle performs as follow:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pple-vs-google-usb-c-headphone-adapters.5541/

Quite ok, but far from the best DAC/AMP combos and not enough output power for many full size headphones.

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #2,563 of 5,166
He means, the phone being just a USB data output source. I do that sometimes too.

It will boil down to the hardware driver availability and compatibility. If they are properly implemented, there really is no difference as its just pure digital signal to the DAC, be it Android or iOS.
Do note that not all DAC's will pair up with Apple's iOS properly if they are not licensed. I know my portable DAC running a none-XMOS input chip will not communicate with an iPhone.
So before you make the plunge, do check that you DAC can connect with it.

My LG G6 Quad will connect correctly and run all 4 of my DACs, based off XMOS, Amanero and SA9023 input chips.

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #2,564 of 5,166
He means, the phone being just a USB data output source. I do that sometimes too.

It will boil down to the hardware driver availability and compatibility. If they are properly implemented, there really is no difference as its just pure digital signal to the DAC, be it Android or iOS.
Do note that not all DAC's will pair up with Apple's iOS properly if they are not licensed. I know my portable DAC running a none-XMOS input chip will not communicate with an iPhone.
So before you make the plunge, do check that you DAC can connect with it.

My LG G6 Quad will connect correctly and run all 4 of my DACs, based off XMOS, Amanero and SA9023 input chips.

Thank you!

That’s exactly what I was trying to ask.

Jun 17, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #2,565 of 5,166
Sorry if this is repetitive. I have a Leckerton UHA-6S mkii dac/amp. What's a cheap, bigger screen Android phone that I could load flac on a micro sd or use tidal/spotify offline, without a loss of quality, if I use the dac/amp? I'm not sure what apps I need to get the best quality... For Spotify, it seems better to have a smartphone than a dap.
Here's more info on my Leckerton, if it's needed: https://www.leckertonaudio.com/shop/uha-6s-mkii-usb-dac-and-headphone-amplifier

Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back