Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jun 17, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #2,566 of 5,166
Sorry if this is repetitive. I have a Leckerton UHA-6S mkii dac/amp. What's a cheap, bigger screen Android phone that I could load flac on a micro sd or use tidal/spotify offline, without a loss of quality, if I use the dac/amp? I'm not sure what apps I need to get the best quality... For Spotify, it seems better to have a smartphone than a dap.
Here's more info on my Leckerton, if it's needed: https://www.leckertonaudio.com/shop/uha-6s-mkii-usb-dac-and-headphone-amplifier

Thanks all!

Lg v30

Jun 18, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #2,568 of 5,166
Does LG G7 Fit full MQA? I know LG G7 do.

Jun 20, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #2,569 of 5,166
Hey folks, just stumpled across this thread, maybe you can help me out.
For the last year, I had the Xiaomi Pocophone and had my InEars (CustomArt Ei.XX) directly connected and listened to spotify, using Equalizer FX app for just the Bass boost (75%).
I just got the Huawei P20, and listening with the original USB C to Headhpone Jack Cable, I was very very disappointed. There is so much less bass. Overall sound is clear and defined, but there is so much less bass.
Installing the Equalizer FX app doesnt fix it, even deactivating any other already installed EQ App. Activating Bass Boost just lowers everything else except the bass, but does not boost it, just like the output is already at its limit?
Even using the Fiio BTR3 DAC doesnt fix this.

Why is this?
Is there bad internal Hardware in the P20, which leads to this?

Jun 20, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #2,570 of 5,166
Hey folks, just stumpled across this thread, maybe you can help me out.
For the last year, I had the Xiaomi Pocophone and had my InEars (CustomArt Ei.XX) directly connected and listened to spotify, using Equalizer FX app for just the Bass boost (75%).
I just got the Huawei P20, and listening with the original USB C to Headhpone Jack Cable, I was very very disappointed. There is so much less bass. Overall sound is clear and defined, but there is so much less bass.
Installing the Equalizer FX app doesnt fix it, even deactivating any other already installed EQ App. Activating Bass Boost just lowers everything else except the bass, but does not boost it, just like the output is already at its limit?
Even using the Fiio BTR3 DAC doesnt fix this.

Why is this?
Is there bad internal Hardware in the P20, which leads to this?

The BTR3 sound has nothing to do with the p20 hardware. BTR3 will play the same on any android phone.

You might just be used to an extremely bassy sound. Download the FiiO app, there is a built in equalizer for the BTR3 there. Boost the lower frequencies to fit your preferences.

Jun 20, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #2,571 of 5,166
The BTR3 sound has nothing to do with the p20 hardware. BTR3 will play the same on any android phone.

You might just be used to an extremely bassy sound. Download the FiiO app, there is a built in equalizer for the BTR3 there. Boost the lower frequencies to fit your preferences.

Thats not helping. And the Pocophone without Bass boost arent extremely bassy.
Or let me try to explain the problem in another way
Pocophone without Bassboost: slightly warm sound
Pocophone with 75% Bassboost: same sound, but turning IEMs to Basscanons (which I like). Bass really gets turned up!
P20 without Bassboost: natural, slightly warm, but a tiiinyyy bit colder than p20 without bassboost
P20 with with 75% bassboost: garbage sound, everything else is way quieter (like there is a internal limiter, trying its best, as if before the bassboost enabled the sound was already hitting the limit) and the bass is not even turned up a bit. Its nearly the same

Why is that? Do you see what I am confused about?
Why is the same app doing something wonderful on one smartphone, and something really trash on the other smartphone?
And how can I solve this?
Or is the P20 just "trash", and how do I know other Smartphones wouldnt have this problem?

Jun 20, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #2,572 of 5,166
Thats not helping. And the Pocophone without Bass boost arent extremely bassy.
Or let me try to explain the problem in another way
Pocophone without Bassboost: slightly warm sound
Pocophone with 75% Bassboost: same sound, but turning IEMs to Basscanons (which I like). Bass really gets turned up!
P20 without Bassboost: natural, slightly warm, but a tiiinyyy bit colder than p20 without bassboost
P20 with with 75% bassboost: garbage sound, everything else is way quieter (like there is a internal limiter, trying its best, as if before the bassboost enabled the sound was already hitting the limit) and the bass is not even turned up a bit. Its nearly the same

Why is that? Do you see what I am confused about?
Why is the same app doing something wonderful on one smartphone, and something really trash on the other smartphone?
And how can I solve this?
Or is the P20 just "trash", and how do I know other Smartphones wouldnt have this problem?
Since you said the same thing happens with the BTR3 connected to the P20 my guess is that something about the EMUI is limiting the “bass boost” you are using.
In any case EQing the BTR3 directly from the fiio app would be a solution since you have direct control over all the frequencies and the EMUI cant do anything about that (since the changes are local in the BTR3 memory)

Jun 21, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #2,574 of 5,166
Just received a used Meizu Pro5 today, I was totally shocked by the sound quality produced by it. The background is just totally dead silence!

I’m currently using Huawei Mate 20pro as my main phone. Don't forget the Pro5 was introduced 4 years ago in 2015.

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #2,575 of 5,166
Since you said the same thing happens with the BTR3 connected to the P20 my guess is that something about the EMUI is limiting the “bass boost” you are using.
In any case EQing the BTR3 directly from the fiio app would be a solution since you have direct control over all the frequencies and the EMUI cant do anything about that (since the changes are local in the BTR3 memory)
Ah okay will try it, but thats sad that the EMUI is limiting the output.
Any other known workaround for the case I dont use the BTR3, but just a regular USB C to Audiojack cable?

Is your iem too less bass? Change to EE legend X.
@teecee5
Rather prefer the campfire audio atlas

Jun 21, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #2,577 of 5,166
Just received a used Meizu Pro5 today, I was totally shocked by the sound quality produced by it. The background is just totally dead silence!

I’m currently using Huawei Mate 20pro as my main phone. Don't forget the Pro5 was introduced 4 years ago in 2015.

If you can find vivo xplay6, it will much more mind blown.

Jun 21, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #2,578 of 5,166
Ah okay will try it, but thats sad that the EMUI is limiting the output.
Any other known workaround for the case I dont use the BTR3, but just a regular USB C to Audiojack cable?

Rather prefer the campfire audio atlas

Atlas's bass hmm... I dont prefer that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back