Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Oct 8, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #1,996 of 5,166
Yesterday I was buying almost the LG v30+. But I remain between V30+ and Nokia8 (As I write before due to the high prices in Turkey).
I did walk in the streets and I ask to the shops that are selling and also fix phones. I ask to a few people about LG in general and especiall about V30+. I had a frustration about the service o LG. Because all the guys says don't buy LG because 1) they have a lot of mainboard problems (especially the G3-G4-G5) 2) the service in Turkey is not good and maybe will close the office in Turkey.
So I'm thinking about Nokia8. But I'm not sure... Or Huawei, Samsung, Apple.....Or.....??
Hello.
About LG : as kutulu32 wrote, mainboard problems (chips badly soldered) are over : this still impacted V10 (and G3 to G5), but not V20, and not V30. Maybe their service is so so, but if you don't buy the last model (now V40), you can find extremely attractive prices, so you have to make a choice.
My V20 is still 100% reliable (not my V10 though).

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #1,998 of 5,166
Note 9 has a nice dynamic and 3D, energic sound. Output power is not even comparable tho, V30 destroys Note if you need to drive power-hungry cans. On the other hand Galaxy S9 has slightly more volume although a bit less clearer sound.
Outside of output power, how does sound quality compare to v30 in your opinion?

Oct 9, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #1,999 of 5,166
Can someone here confirm whether Meizu Pro 5 support AptX for Bluetooth. What AptX BT headset/receiver you used for that. What is the version of Flyme OS?
Soomal have special BT review for Meizu Pro 5 that claims it supportAptX by the look of the measured audio signal. It's on November 2015, just one month after release date of Pro 5, so it should be early firmwares.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #2,000 of 5,166
Outside of output power, how does sound quality compare to v30 in your opinion?
As I said before, I found Note 9 more spacious and dynamic, mostly on really deep bases, giving 'em a little boost, but not that much to degrade overall clarity. However V30 excels in details, probably because of that V or U shaped signature (depending on the DAC filter you're using); I'd say V30 has "vertical" space, while Note 9 is more for an "horizontal" one. If you don't mean to trigger the amplifier in High Gain, it's definitely a matter of tastes... but, if you trigger the amplifier on V30 and pairing it again against Note 9 at same dB levels you can easily notice how V30 gained dynamism on frequency response thanks to the "color" given from the amplifier, and a more pronounced V shaped feel.

Keep in mind I've tried the Exynos variant, so music performance may vary 'cause of different hardware localization. If you live in Europe then you'll hear those performance.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #2,001 of 5,166
Finally, I take the risk and yesterday night I give the online order for V30+ (with 128Gb) here in Turkey we don't have V30 (64Gb). I trust to LG. We will see.... Now it's time for Spotify or Tidal and some other software for using all the features of the phone and F9Pro.

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #2,002 of 5,166
Finally, I take the risk and yesterday night I give the online order for V30+ (with 128Gb) here in Turkey we don't have V30 (64Gb). I trust to LG. We will see.... Now it's time for Spotify or Tidal and some other software for using all the features of the phone and F9Pro.

Don't worry. You got yourself a good handset. Just make sure your phone is recently manufactured as older V30 had screen issues. Motherboard and bootloop issues were stopped right from G5. Using G6 here by my brother, passed one year. He is satisfied. For the price you get better built and better camera and by far superior audio from LG. Only con i saw is very very slow os updates. LG G6 got oreo update only this August when companies started working and releasing beta for android pie. Brother got no problem of updates. Os speed has improved in G6 . Am kinda phone nerd so can't wait like a life time for updates so sold my G6 but i miss the audio and camera and excellent presence in hand feel of G6

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #2,004 of 5,166
How can be sure that is a new V30+?

I'm sorry for lost of G6....

You can see the manufacturing date on the box of V30. I actually sold my G6 only due to that Os. Not any other defects. I gave it my friend and he is also super happy like my brother who doesnt care software updates as far as nothing problematic with the os. You know the way Oxygen and Miui os are giving updates . Fixing one thing and breaking two things so that in next update they cam fix that:beyersmile:

Oct 10, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #2,005 of 5,166
You can see the manufacturing date on the box of V30. I actually sold my G6 only due to that Os. Not any other defects. I gave it my friend and he is also super happy like my brother who doesnt care software updates as far as nothing problematic with the os. You know the way Oxygen and Miui os are giving updates . Fixing one thing and breaking two things so that in next update they cam fix that:beyersmile:
I contact to the seller and they say that it's manufactured on 2017... Could be any problem?

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #2,007 of 5,166
Got a Nokia 8 yesterday and I am positively surprised. Enough power to drive IEMs without issues but it has a much better quality of sound compared to other 'regular' phones that I've tried (Galaxies, LG G3, Xperia XZ, Xiaomis and Huaweis). I don't feel like I am missing anything compared to what I had with V20, except the ability to drive more power hungry headphones. I am quite surprised to see such a budget friendly phone go under the radar here.

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #2,008 of 5,166
Got a Nokia 8 yesterday and I am positively surprised. Enough power to drive IEMs without issues but it has a much better quality of sound compared to other 'regular' phones that I've tried (Galaxies, LG G3, Xperia XZ, Xiaomis and Huaweis). I don't feel like I am missing anything compared to what I had with V20, except the ability to drive more power hungry headphones. I am quite surprised to see such a budget friendly phone go under the radar here.

I'm happy to see that. But in Turkey there is no Nokia service but service that are authorized by Nokia. So it can be different within a year or maybe 1 month who knows. The copper color was my choise but the price was more or less the same as v30+ and finally I choose the LG (I choose mainley LG for, 128Gb vs 64Gb and Radio YES vs No).
But If I had chosen the steel color then maybe today I could have a Nokia. So I think it's a good choise for the price/quality :thumbsup:

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #2,009 of 5,166
Can someone here confirm whether Meizu Pro 5 support AptX for Bluetooth. What AptX BT headset/receiver you used for that. What is the version of Flyme OS?
Soomal have special BT review for Meizu Pro 5 that claims it supportAptX by the look of the measured audio signal. It's on November 2015, just one month after release date of Pro 5, so it should be early firmwares.
It has AptX support on firmware version lower then Flyme 6. Android 5.1 and Flyme 5. APtX is easy to find in logcat after root-ing phone. I sell my Por 5 two mounts ago, so i know what i say. I got working AptX even on Flyme 6 and 7 installing manually libraries on system.

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #2,010 of 5,166
received_552539785183956.jpeg

Vivo nex s got ldac on lateat update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back