Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Nov 29, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #2,088 of 5,166
Nov 29, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #2,089 of 5,166
but u can't get new official LG updates as those will unroot again?

About OTA u can forget for sure, it is possible, but useless, u will get unrooted with stock recovery phone. U always can update from TRWP, if u get firmwares in zip. Or u can use LGUP, after this ur firmware will be stock, but phone unlocked, then u should add trwp in same way like before and use few patches, against root checker and etc. And sure if u go to unlock from this way, u always can re-lock ur phone and ur warranty will be safe.

For now i want to check A.I.S. firmware, based at the stock, but with modded kernel and many features inside of it. I don't know like other V30 users do, but with 20d firmware i see sometimes freezes, need some customization in performans. Also this A.I.S. have many things for the sound. My opinion better unlock it and make it rooted.

Nov 29, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #2,090 of 5,166
About OTA u can forget for sure, it is possible, but useless, u will get unrooted with stock recovery phone. U always can update from TRWP, if u get firmwares in zip. Or u can use LGUP, after this ur firmware will be stock, but phone unlocked, then u should add trwp in same way like before and use few patches, against root checker and etc. And sure if u go to unlock from this way, u always can re-lock ur phone and ur warranty will be safe.

For now i want to check A.I.S. firmware, based at the stock, but with modded kernel and many features inside of it. I don't know like other V30 users do, but with 20d firmware i see sometimes freezes, need some customization in performans. Also this A.I.S. have many things for the sound. My opinion better unlock it and make it rooted.

won't do it unless there is evidence that sound can be improved lol

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #2,091 of 5,166
Mystery phone expected to be new vivo nex series.

Stay tuned.

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #2,092 of 5,166
Some words. Maybe can be useful for someone, mainly about some chinese smartphones SQ.

Coming to the point, I've been looking for a good SQ smartphone for months, after being quite satisfied with my old Samsung Exynos (using poweramp alpha/beta) for 2-3 times a week in subway, train... But now I use the smartphone every single day and S6's SQ is simply not enough. Then, a couple of months ago my S6 decided to jump from 1,80m. and died. So I've been thinking more seriously about LG G7/V30. Meanwhile, I purchased a Xiaomi Redmi note 5, so I'm not in a hurry now with an operative phone (and will keep it as a backup option).

Before write about Note, two interesting things about LG G7: Now, the sound of the G7 is adjusted by Meridian and, on the other hand, LG just changed the smartphones division CEO for the one who was in charge of home & entertaintment division (including TVs) what is (at first) a very good thing.

Regarding Note 5, I looked for a cheap smartphone with no expectations about SQ at all, cause it will be my backup smartphone when I purchase the new one, and got Redmi Note 5 for 170€ (4gb./64gb.).
When I first plugged A4s, I thought: Sound is not that bad. Weak (but detail retrieval was acceptable and usually I like highs and airy sounds too...)
Shortly after, browsing the device settings, I tried one of the pre configured modes for xiaomi earphones in the sound section... Quickly said: One of this modes (the best that matches your phones and audio preferences) plus EQ to compensate coloration produced by gear differences, changes all. The improvement in SQ, volume, sound signature...

I've been investigating a bit and found that Dirac HD is adjusting the sound of a lot of smartphones from Xiaomi, Oppo, Oneplus... And it iseems to work very well.

So I was very surprised about all of this. Surprised because SQ, but surprised too cause the little information that can be found, regarding reviews or comparisons. Specifically, comparisons between Dirac's work results in these smartphones and other devices with known good SQ as LG devices. It is very hard to find info about the hardware in them too (regarding internal dac/amp) and I know that LG's quad DAC is a better solution in that regard, but would love to hear some comparison to have a reference about the SQ differences.

EDIT: Then, there's this. I don't know for sure which "note" model have this hardware, but al the stuff sounds pretty cool.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #2,093 of 5,166
Guys don't bother to buy expensive phones with DAC or expensive standalone DAC's there is a much easier/cheaper solution i'm not kidding:
I know this has already been mentioned here but i am sharing the same experience with this one!

I received yesterday my earstudio ES100 bluetooth DAC and i was really blown away by this little thing!
It's really powerful and it actually sounds better than analog cable straight to my DAC with my dragonfly red DAC.

It's also compatible with viper4android on my phone and can run in APTX HD codec: this means i can use viper4android in full 24bit. (viper4android with analog cable only support 16bit 44.1) The difference is certainly audible

It can also run LDAC but I prefer APTX HD codec over LDAC as it has more body and detail, less laid back (LDAC is too laid back for me and my isine 20 earphones from audeze)
The thing that impressed me even more is the app from earstudio ES100 which includes a wide range of soundoptions and 10 band qualitative equalizer.

Not sure what magic is in the small box and for 99$ this thing is a steal and it can drive headphones over 300ohm

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #2,094 of 5,166
I agree Bluetooth dac amp is really a solution.

ES100, shanling m0, btr3 are all good for its deliverables.

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #2,095 of 5,166
I tried very little but "competent" things like GGMM A1, Sony SBH50, SBH54... Some of which I own and, of course, they improve SQ and volume a bit. But I think that it is not the same thing, plus there's a significant difference from two daily city/train/subway hours with only one device, to the same two hours carrying more hardware. This is worst if you don't wear any kind of bag, brief case, etc.
On the other hand, if more hardware is not a problem, it is clear that the SQ can improve dramatically with some nice gear and smartphone's SQ is not so important this way.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #2,096 of 5,166
I tried very little but "competent" things like GGMM A1, Sony SBH50, SBH54... Some of which I own and, of course, they improve SQ and volume a bit. But I think that it is not the same thing, plus there's a significant difference from two daily city/train/subway hours with only one device, to the same two hours carrying more hardware. This is worst if you don't wear any kind of bag, brief case, etc.
On the other hand, if more hardware is not a problem, it is clear that the SQ can improve dramatically with some nice gear and smartphone's SQ is not so important this way.

You can clip it with jean's pocket
upload_2018-11-30_22-9-10.png

Nov 30, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #2,097 of 5,166
You can clip it with jean's pocket

IMG_20181130_161411.jpg

Indeed

EDIT (left half content):

For me, Note 5 + sound effects + DAC > Note 5 + sound effects > Note 5 without effects + DAC. I prefer to loose some volume and definition (if that is the case vs wired) but not depend on bluetooth yet, at least for music.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #2,098 of 5,166
won't do it unless there is evidence that sound can be improved lol
sound is better for sure. Also can be used A.I.S. firmware, based on stock, but with many futures. Like ViperAqustics, DSEE HX and others. For me enough, that amp is working with low impedance headphones, now sound is more clear, powerful, impact is perfect.
Mystery phone expected to be new vivo nex series.
hello friend:) Tell me, maybe u know ... does vivo called nex as xplay before? Or we still should wait vivo xplay 7? I was waiting for so long, but bought new v30+, since meizu pro 5 not so powerful at this days. But i still love it, still working smooth. I thought to get NEX S, but most of peoples said speaker inside of display working not that good, not so clean. Also not sure if this Cirrus Logic so cool, i still prefer ESS sound and there is no NFC.

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #2,099 of 5,166
sound is better for sure. Also can be used A.I.S. firmware, based on stock, but with many futures. Like ViperAqustics, DSEE HX and others. For me enough, that amp is working with low impedance headphones, now sound is more clear, powerful, impact is perfect.

hello friend:) Tell me, maybe u know ... does vivo called nex as xplay before? Or we still should wait vivo xplay 7? I was waiting for so long, but bought new v30+, since meizu pro 5 not so powerful at this days. But i still love it, still working smooth. I thought to get NEX S, but most of peoples said speaker inside of display working not that good, not so clean. Also not sure if this Cirrus Logic so cool, i still prefer ESS sound and there is no NFC.

I suppose that there won't be new Xplay series anymore. I accept that speaker is not quite as good as other's brand where speaker is not under the glass display. However, NEX gives user an authetic full display experience so this should be trade-off.

Talking about Cirrus + 3 x SSM6322, it does give a fuller, warm body of music like listening from a Tube amp. Some might like and some don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back