Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Dec 2, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #2,101 of 5,166
Hello everyone. I am picking up a campfire solaris or a campfire andromeda soon. Any smartphones out there good for sensitive IEMs? I also have a contract renewal soon as well :D
most flagship nowdays are good for low impedance IEMs.
take the one you like the most and if you're not satisfied by audio quality just get the 10$ apple usb c dac which sounds great for low impedance IMO

Dec 2, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #2,102 of 5,166
I have been using my Vivo Xplay 6 for more than 2 months now, and I felt the need to share some impressions. I bought it on aliexpress, and it cost me around 415€. It seems my seller does not sell it anymore. My audio listenings were made with my Hidition NT6 Pro only.

USER EXPERIENCE

I received my package the 23rd of septembre, and during the first 2-3 weeks, this phone was often a pain in the *** to use. Unlike EUI or FLYME, which I found to be more intuitive, FUNTOUCH was a little more difficult to apprehend.
Even simple things generally speaking (such as taking screenshots) have been made sophisticated by Vivo. It was particularly exasperating for me (as a non-chinese user) at the beginning because even when VIvo adds tutorials for some features, it is only in Chinese...

But I discovered this phone has some cool features:
- the stock weather app is probably the most accurate wheather application I've ever used
- the smart motion: allows you to wake/ unlock your phone in a gesture. The MX4 Pro has something similar, but with a lot less options
- fingerprint scanner and facial recognition to unlock your phone: I don't use the second one, but coming from the Le Max which already had a performant fingerprint scanner, I am happy to use a more precise one with the Xplay6.
- the stock voice recorder app is very good and precise: I often use it and it works well
- you can also record your calls without downloading another application, like the MX4 Pro
- the GPS seems more accurate than what I knew with my previous phone especially when I use Maps ou Runtastic Pro
- the stock music application has its own widget, which was cruelly missing on the LeTV

The navigation has always been fluid, but the phone froze twice (I had to restart it). So far, no major problem to declare.

I appreciate the fact that you have OTA updates of FUNTOUCH OS, but also of stock applications (i Music, i Theme...). It means they continue to improve their product; even if it is becoming quite old now.

The battery life is ok for my use: texting, playing to Marvel Puzzle Quest 30 minutes to an hour, listening to music 2hours per day, a few phone calls, but the battery rarely falls to 50%. I never charge my phone at work for example. But at home, during week-ends I often had to charge the phone in the afternoon, because I used the GPS a lot, with youtube application...

Vivo's dual-enging quick charging does charge as fast as the Le Max charging system.

AUDIO QUALITY

BASS
I don't know what Vivo did with its phone but the bass are not what you'll find on most phones, that is to say with some boomy effects that will surely please the bassheads (among who I put my humble person).
The bass region is incredibly detailed, can go surprisingly low; be visceral (even when it rumbles down low) and hit hard, or be anemic and frustrating. It is fast enough to keep up with any song, and can be slow enough to allow you to enjoy old songs.
Technically, it reminds me my Concero HP. Please read me well: I never said it as good as my Resonessence, but the performance in the bass region reminds me what my DAC-AMP is capable of in that section. Impressive. But the bass lack power, additional authority.

MIDS
I was afraid the Xplay 6 could sound too bright/artificial, dry, like the Ibasso DX100, especially combined to my CIEM.
Thankfully, it is not the case. The mids are rather sweet, with some texture. Instruments, voices come to life. Of course, bad recordings are revealed, but it not as agressive as my Resonessence for example. You don't simply listen to music: if you close your eyes and increase the volume, you'll find yourself in the studio with the singer. This region is clear, full of details, but Vivo avoided the error of sacrificing musicality for performance. Again, impressive.

HIGHS
The extension is excellent, sparkly enough without twisting your eardrums

SOUNDSTAGE
It is big enough, with some songs, you have the feeling of a 3D soundstage, there is height, more than what I am used to on that type of device. This allows to have a little more details, also adds more musicality. But I was not that impressed by the soundstage.

Xplay 6 vs. Fiio X7 Mark2
I compared these two a month ago during two hours. The sounstage of the Fiio impressed me: a lot of space allowing the sound to spread. The bass hit harder, with power and authority. But somethimes I felt like the bass were a tad boomy and slow compared to the Xplay 6. The mids, thanks to the bigger soundstage adds a little more details, or give them a better presentation. The problem is that the Fiio sounds thin and too sibilant to my ears. An overpriced device to my ears.

Xplay 6 vs. Meizu MX4 Pro
The Meizu's soundstage is narrower, the bass lack extension and realism (they sometimes sound almost fake). But for the mids, the MX4 Pro remains the champion, as it goes further in terms of realism and emotion, by a little margin. It is still my favourite for old school R&B and Soul, Jazz, vocals. But for how long?

Xplay 6 vs. LeTV Le Max
The Vivo has a bigger soundstage, the bass can rumble down low and is more as detailed. The difference is not that big in this region. To my ears, the LeTV is a little brighter. The mids on the Le Max are not artificial, but they lack realism. And as a consequence it rarely convey emotion.

Technically speaking, the Xplay 6 is the best, folowed by the Le Max. But my criteria would rather rank the MX4 Pro as the king, very closely followed by the Xplay 6.

Conclusion
Honestly, the Xplay 6 also made me wonder if using a simple smartphone on-the-go was relevant, considering all the TOTL daps on the market. I tested the Fiio X7 mark 2 and the Cayin N5II, and I still believe I made the right choice.
TOTAL daps are a big upgrade over smartphone, but they are just too bulky and heavy. The Xplay 6 is not that far behind the Cayin in term of performance, which is already amazing considering is mainly supposed to allow you to make calls and text people.
Bravo to Vivo for making such an interesting dap. I hope in the future, they won't follow Meizu's example.

Many thanks to Artpiggo and to the others who helped me to make a satisfiying choice.

Attachments

• P80923-105556.jpg
    P80923-105556.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 2, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #2,103 of 5,166
Thanks for very descriptive review on xplay6!

I am happy that my infomation in this thread is helpful to your decision for enjoying the music.

Dec 2, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #2,104 of 5,166
Hello! After reading the last 250 pages in 2 days, and about 1500 pages in a month or so, I must stop, or my head might explode. I want to share more info about the HTC M8s and HTC 10, that I have been using and comparing extensively. The M8s is a legend for me - one night, I was using it for navigation in the dark, somewhere on unknown French highways, and a pothole has caused it to fly off the handlebars at 20 kph and I ran over it with my road bike...that is a total of 100kg!!! The camera and calls stopped working, but the navigation did not stop, and I managed to get home. Otherwise I would have spend the night on unknown roads... I payed a bunch of money to restore it with little success, and now I keep it in a drawer - it is a veteran. Audio-wise, I had compared it for days with the latest Dragonfly Black, using Focal Spirit Classic headphones. At first, I thought the sound signature was similar, but I still gave the edge to the M8s - literally everything was a step up. One year later, I auditioned Oppo HA-2 with the same setup, and the Oppo sounded digital, artificial, and very different. I tried all gain options, I tried everything I could think of - I just did not find it musical at all. The treble was detailed, yet thin, but not bright. So, when I bought HTC 10, I auditioned it for one year with FLAC up to 24/192, and Focal Spirit Classic, Focal Spirit One S, and Sennheiser Momentum M2 G Ivory, and the el cheapo Beyerdynamic Byron (all wired). I confirm most of the praise this phone gets. For more serious listening, I have compared it to the Yulong D200 with all above headphones. I use Furutech USB cable and a $ 30 power cord.
The D200 is jaw-droppingly detailed and neutral, as one can expect. Even playing 20-year old games gives stunning detail. Bass is just not there... The player is Foobar, with either WASAPI or ASIO, Windows 7. One strange thing is that the Momentum M2 sound awful with the D200, but fantastic with the HTC 10 and the paid Poweramp full version, 2.0.10 build 588. THE TRICK IS TO LISTEN AT UNUSUALLY LOW VOLUMES, otherwise, the M2 sounds aggressive and unbalanced, like if you listen underwater. D200 sounds way more musical than Oppo HA-2, but still...it is ESS-based, after all.
I visited Cobra.fr stores quite a few times and auditioned dozens of high-end headphones. I tried them all on the M8s, and later repeated everything with HTC 10, and I cared to make a Personal Audio Profile with it for each headphone. I also tried each one with, and without the profile. TLDR: Beyerdynamics and Sennheisers were all a joke - thin, not musical, unbalanced. I had high hopes for Amiron and HD800s, but... Then, I tried Focal Elear, and later, Focal Clear. The latter was a dream. Many people claim that one must hear for himself just how better it is than the HD800s, and I confirm that. The Clear clear-ly deserves a higher end source, but the HTC 10 drove everything perfectly. Then, I had the rare chance to audition Focal Utopia with the HTC 10. It was quite a step up from the Clear, and this is where I wish I had a higher end source like my D200. The HTC 10 is musical and balanced, and detailed, but it has sufficient bass, and the D200 does not. Same can be said for Focal Listen wired. If I want critical, analytical listening, I just plug it in the D200. Having auditioned Samsung Galaxy S6 and S7, and some Xperias, I am was not impressed with them.
A local big chain of stores was selling out the HTC 10 with multiple discounts. I managed to buy 2 brand new ones with 24M warranty for just 170 EUR each!!! Is not that a heck of a deal...And for a similar price, I can get a few more, brand new imported, no warranty, to stock my supplies for a long time. I do not care about cameras, as I am a pro photographer and I always cary a Sony A6000 with some premium lenses. There is no smartphone on Earth with even a decent camera, just a bunch of lies from manufacturers that use photos from pro cameras as marketing and claim they were taken with smartphones. LMAO...
If for some peculiar reason you are lucky enough to have an intact pair of Focal Classics (if that is the case I am extremely JEALOUS; I went through 3 cracked head band pairs in 18 months) you owe it to yourself to save up for a Chord Mojo. By some margin that is the best combination I have ever heard. PERFECTION.. . and would be 'End Game' but in my case just heart breaking!

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #2,105 of 5,166
Unfortunately, my pair has also cracked and Focal sent me a wired Listen instead. While I will always miss the Classic, I agree with most forum members who claim the Listen is a step up. I find the sound fuller, with more body and bass. The detail is there, but a very different form of detail. It is truly shocking, as I never encountered such a thing. Having listened to dozens of high end headphones, I never thought I`d listen (no pun intended) to headphones that are tremendously detailed as well...but in a different way. Isn`t the Yulong D200 a step up from the Mojo? I do not want a portable source for now.

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #2,107 of 5,166
Nex 2 will officially launched on 11 Dec.

Wait for its spec...

Dec 6, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #2,108 of 5,166
Hello everyone. I am picking up a campfire solaris or a campfire andromeda soon. Any smartphones out there good for sensitive IEMs? I also have a contract renewal soon as well :D

Nex S + andromeda S = perfect match, no hiss and full power to drive.

FB_IMG_1544141192852.jpg

Dec 10, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #2,111 of 5,166
To all the people still using LeTv x800 CN.
Which rom are you using? I'm on CM 14.1 - android 7.1 and poweramp shows snapdragon under hifi.
Does it mean it does not use the better DAC?

Dont use poweramp, go get neutron and try my setting on first page in this thread.

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #2,112 of 5,166
FB_IMG_1544495688353.jpg

Nex 2 unoffical spec leak

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #2,114 of 5,166
I am not sure. Would like to know too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back