Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 10, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #5,041 of 5,166
Hi All, I'm back after removing my quick impression of the Xperia 1V last week.

After 1 week of frequent use with my IER-M9, I'm confident to say that the 1V is the best mobile phone for audiophiles. I won't say that it takes the crown from the LG's but from vague memory the 1V is as good as, if not better than, the LG V30 from what i can roughly remember.

But LG's aside, I even compare the 1V to the DX160 and I don't find the 1V lacking at all. Technically the 1V is very impressive when paired with M9. However, the main thing noticeable is the sound sig of the 1V I think is very flat which seems to workout well for M9.

I'm head over heels over this phone so do take my impression with some salt.

Aug 10, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #5,042 of 5,166
Ok, but I guess I'll also need higher end headphones for the RU7? I got Focal Listen Pro and HD 599SE (with the cheapest $20 balanced cable), and KZ PR1 PRO. I'm not sure if the LG maxes them out. If I plug them in my Yulong D200, they sound much better, but no WOW factor to write home about.
I also wonder how much better is the DX160 than Xperia 1 V? Because DX170 has good offers in Europe. I'm not ready to splashing out for the Fiio M15 yet.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #5,043 of 5,166
Hi All, I'm back after removing my quick impression of the Xperia 1V last week.

After 1 week of frequent use with my IER-M9, I'm confident to say that the 1V is the best mobile phone for audiophiles. I won't say that it takes the crown from the LG's but from vague memory the 1V is as good as, if not better than, the LG V30 from what i can roughly remember.

But LG's aside, I even compare the 1V to the DX160 and I don't find the 1V lacking at all. Technically the 1V is very impressive when paired with M9. However, the main thing noticeable is the sound sig of the 1V I think is very flat which seems to workout well for M9.

I'm head over heels over this phone so do take my impression with some salt.

Hi does 1V heat up fast while using?

I used 10 IV and found it heats up very fast and annoyed my experience.

Aug 10, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #5,044 of 5,166
Hi does 1V heat up fast while using?

I used 10 IV and found it heats up very fast and annoyed my experience.
It doesn't heat up fast. Temp wise its just like any other phone.

But it has some quirks though. E.g. the screen switches on itself while in my pocket causing the phone to heat up. I disabled double tap to wake screen and just use hardware button to wake. No impact in experience for me.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #5,045 of 5,166
It doesn't heat up fast. Temp wise its just like any other phone.

But it has some quirks though. E.g. the screen switches on itself while in my pocket causing the phone to heat up. I disabled double tap to wake screen and just use hardware button to wake. No impact in experience for me.
Thank you, I'm disabling double tap now.

No obvious heat for me, and I've had it in the sun too much. Haven't checked any actual temperatures. I love the screen so much I don't get a lot of battery time. I have it set to battery care 80% (has a 90% option). Hoping to get a few years out of this :)

Aug 11, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #5,046 of 5,166
Hello,
I would like to buy second hand LG smartphone with their ESS chips to use as DAP (remove all apps except music player, Spotify, Wavelet). Which model provides the Best battery life in terms of music playback? V30 is the smallest, which is nice, but I read a topic at ASR where V60 had an amazing battery life eating almost every DAP on the market (around 70 hours).

Aug 11, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #5,047 of 5,166
Hello,
I would like to buy second hand LG smartphone with their ESS chips to use as DAP (remove all apps except music player, Spotify, Wavelet). Which model provides the Best battery life in terms of music playback? V30 is the smallest, which is nice, but I read a topic at ASR where V60 had an amazing battery life eating almost every DAP on the market (around 70 hours).
V60 user here, I'm using it as my primary and get ~2-3 days worth of battery life after full charge. I have a DAP now so I don't use the V60 for music much but at the Gym, with my own local lossless music, I loose on average 6-8% of the battery after 1 and half hour of workout so I think that is pretty good.

I've got some background Apps like Google & Yahoo Mail, WhatsApp, Google Voice.... So with those disabled the battery life would probably be much better.

Aug 13, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #5,048 of 5,166
Hello,
If you get second hand, most of their battery might be degraded already. But if only listen as DAP, 8 hour would be guarantee.

Aug 13, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #5,049 of 5,166
I couldn't say why. But my Dragonfly dongle sounds much better from my Sony Xperia 1 V than from my LG's (V20/G8) using UAPP. Like it's getting more power? Closer to a laptop? Very pleased with the sound now, moreso than before :)

Aug 15, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #5,051 of 5,166
Hello,
V30 still can be found new in box on eBay, so can G8X too
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185604712822?epid=5011101774

Aug 15, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #5,052 of 5,166
So I have a question. I am seriously thinking of moving from Apple to android because of my new TWS, the Denon PerL Pro and aptX Lossless. I was bouncing between the Motorola RAZR+ and the Sony Xperia 1 V. But now, if I'm reading aptx.com right, the Xperia 5 iv has aptX Lossless as well. Is my interpretation of that correct and I can save myself $600CAD? The latest performance isn't a big deal for me, the biggest thing I do is stream music and watch a YouTube vid or two. Thanks all.
It has abtx, abtxHD and abtx Adaptive. abtx lossless can never be lossless over bluetooth as there is not enough bandwidth. It gets close, but I am sure it dynamically scales data rate depending on signal integrity like adaptive and LDAC. It should be better than AAC on Apple (which is far better than AAC on android).

Aug 16, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #5,053 of 5,166
I tried the US version of LG V20 and audio was disappointing. It was clearly inferior to V10 and G7. I remember someone saying that the Koren version is tuned differently. Could anyone please give more insight? I might get one. I am reluctant to splurge for the Cayin RU7, since portable audio would become expensive. V10 and G7 best even the xDuoo Link2 Bal (which is cumbersome for portable audio).

Aug 18, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #5,054 of 5,166
So what's the general consensus on current gen smartphones when you require stellar audio performance, 3.5mm jack and newest bluetooth codecs (aptx adaptive/lossless)? Sony 1/5 V vs Asus ROG 7? I can get the Asus for far less than Sony, so is there any advantage on Sony's side (apart the sd card)? Or are both overkill (price) and I should just get Sony 1/5 IV or ROG 6?

Aug 18, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #5,055 of 5,166
I think the general consensus on the the current gen is none of them have stellar audio performance. I've never heard an Asus Rog (no microSD?), but the Sony 1 V is very good. The speakers are kinda stellar. Bluetooth very good. But wired I use a Dragonfly Cobalt, which does sound better from the Sony than my LG (V20/G8). Or better yet, from my Walkman :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back