Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Nov 12, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #4,861 of 5,168
I have a Sony Xperia 5 iV, and use it with Sundara, and Edition xS, although prefer to use it with my Qudelix 5k. I use a Fiio K3 with a Surface studio. All via Amazon music, tried UAPP and Tidal and was no better or worse than Amazon, just .ore money

Nov 12, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #4,862 of 5,168
Lol again, andrewski underestimated me. As an electronics / networking engineer, I may very well know more about signals than he ever will. That cocky tonw od his is amusing. Like a puppy barking up a pitbull. Jagwap found my informative post useful.
Somebody mentioned LG G7. The USA unlocked version can be found refurbished on Aliexpress for about $ 125. I bought one from 99100 store and it was jaw-droppingly like new. One of the brightest ever tested high resolution mLcd, chambered speaker, high ppi, bittom-placed 3.5mm jack...I quite like the battery saving tech. It always pulls between 11-12W, no matter the charger. With other LG and HTC phones...15w gets them quite hot. My brother has Samsung A52 and it is the same story. I am still rocking my LG v10 H961N with Android 7, as the display is very wide. I cannot stand 20:9 displays. If anyone is interested, I will share extensive knowledge abour V10 batteries. I bought a dozen and tested them for months. Different chargers and cables and power banks. Over 100 tests.
Yes you're right. I was rude and too smug to realize I didn't know what I was talking about. I apologize.

Nov 12, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #4,863 of 5,168
You are welcome...Meanwhile, using an LG keyboard at night is horrible - just look at my writing errors - I apologize too. Right now, I am making another test, comparing LG V10 and G7, using the LG music apps on both. HD 599 SE in high impedance mode...I am amased at how neutral and musical the V10 is, listening to a Youtube download of a audience-shot concert song. That is the most demanding test I can think of. Of course, DSF is another matter. Lucky for my G7 (USA-unlocked), it does not get Android 10, so no concern about DSD playback. I also managed to test the integrated sound in Snapdragon 695 5G, using a brand new Oneplus Nord CE 2 Lite 5G. Sometimes the option to turn off Dirac disappears. Impressive sound and plenty of power for my 50 ohm HD 599 SE, gorgeus IPS LCD...but plug the headphones in LG V10, G7 or in HTC 10...and the differences are obvious. Nevertheless, I found the Oneplus` sound enjoyable and surprising for the price. Oddly enough, the fantastic sounding Xperia 10 IV lacked power with the same headphones, I mean it was way less loud at max volume.

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #4,864 of 5,168
I have a Sony Xperia 5 iV, and use it with Sundara, and Edition xS, although prefer to use it with my Qudelix 5k. I use a Fiio K3 with a Surface studio. All via Amazon music, tried UAPP and Tidal and was no better or worse than Amazon, just .ore money
I use a Fiio k1 with my Galaxy Note 10 it works beautifully with a pair of I basso 101s.. and I have a Fiio k5 headphone amp. Currently using a pair of beyerdynamic T1's.. also have the line outs going into a denon 4308 receiver.. complete Bliss with Amazon unlimited music I agree is the best streaming service for sound quality and very reasonably priced if you have Amazon prime I've had them all also.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #4,865 of 5,168
Agreed. LDAC with Sony WH-1000MX3/4/5 = best audio fidelity you will get over a Bluetooth connection. It's pointless comparing to a wired connection. That's like comparing squash to tennis: just because both need a ball doesn't make them the same.
Hello, I would like to know, how WH-1000XM4 sound using wired connection. Is there any difference compared to Bluetooth connection? Can anyone compare them to a similarly priced wired headphones (e.g. Beyerdynamic DT 700/900 PRO X)?

Nov 15, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #4,866 of 5,168
I use a Fiio k1 with my Galaxy Note 10 it works beautifully with a pair of I basso 101s.. and I have a Fiio k5 headphone amp. Currently using a pair of beyerdynamic T1's.. also have the line outs going into a denon 4308 receiver.. complete Bliss with Amazon unlimited music I agree is the best streaming service for sound quality and very reasonably priced if you have Amazon prime I've had them all also.
I use a K3 with my Surface book , but prefer the Qudelix with my phone due to the PEQ available , both Amazon Music

The K3 is a superb device and fires upy speakers really well . Bit the Xperia doesn't work so well with it

Nov 15, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #4,867 of 5,168
Hello, I would like to know, how WH-1000XM4 sound using wired connection. Is there any difference compared to Bluetooth connection? Can anyone compare them to a similarly priced wired headphones (e.g. Beyerdynamic DT 700/900 PRO X)?
WH-1000XM3 sounded terrible to me wired. And you're supposed to power it on - sounds even worse off. I was very very disappointed til I used them wireless again (much better).

Nov 21, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #4,868 of 5,168
Does anyone else here have a Asus Zenfone 9? The headphone jack has been a disappointment to me. I get a clicking distortion with both my Variations and FH3s. I tried an impedance adaptor and it maybe reduced the issue by ~75%.

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #4,869 of 5,168
WH-1000XM3 sounded terrible to me wired. And you're supposed to power it on - sounds even worse off. I was very very disappointed til I used them wireless again (much better).
Could not agree more. The technology incorporated in these headphones is definitely geared towards wireless listening over bluetooth. For maximum sq, use LDAC @ 990kbps 👍🏻

Nov 23, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #4,870 of 5,168
Lol again, andrewski underestimated me. As an electronics / networking engineer, I may very well know more about signals than he ever will. That cocky tonw od his is amusing. Like a puppy barking up a pitbull. Jagwap found my informative post useful.
Somebody mentioned LG G7. The USA unlocked version can be found refurbished on Aliexpress for about $ 125. I bought one from 99100 store and it was jaw-droppingly like new. One of the brightest ever tested high resolution mLcd, chambered speaker, high ppi, bittom-placed 3.5mm jack...I quite like the battery saving tech. It always pulls between 11-12W, no matter the charger. With other LG and HTC phones...15w gets them quite hot. My brother has Samsung A52 and it is the same story. I am still rocking my LG v10 H961N with Android 7, as the display is very wide. I cannot stand 20:9 displays. If anyone is interested, I will share extensive knowledge abour V10 batteries. I bought a dozen and tested them for months. Different chargers and cables and power banks. Over 100 tests.

Thoughts on dual-split batteries commonly found in gaming phones and others that feature 40W+ fast charging?

In my case specifically the Realm X2 pro (claimed benefits include reduced heat when during high rates of charge/discharge and thus increased potential efficiency) which has two 2000mAh batteries.

Nov 23, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #4,871 of 5,168
You are welcome...Meanwhile, using an LG keyboard at night is horrible - just look at my writing errors - I apologize too. Right now, I am making another test, comparing LG V10 and G7, using the LG music apps on both. HD 599 SE in high impedance mode...I am amased at how neutral and musical the V10 is, listening to a Youtube download of a audience-shot concert song. That is the most demanding test I can think of. Of course, DSF is another matter. Lucky for my G7 (USA-unlocked), it does not get Android 10, so no concern about DSD playback. I also managed to test the integrated sound in Snapdragon 695 5G, using a brand new Oneplus Nord CE 2 Lite 5G. Sometimes the option to turn off Dirac disappears. Impressive sound and plenty of power for my 50 ohm HD 599 SE, gorgeus IPS LCD...but plug the headphones in LG V10, G7 or in HTC 10...and the differences are obvious. Nevertheless, I found the Oneplus` sound enjoyable and surprising for the price. Oddly enough, the fantastic sounding Xperia 10 IV lacked power with the same headphones, I mean it was way less loud at max volume.

Yeah out of all the new Xperia phones Sony definitely traded speaker, DAC, camera quality, and US network compatibly for some reason for battery life and Snapdragon 845 performance. Can't complain when you can semi-regularly snag them on eBay for under $300/€300.

Like even the Moto Z4 has a louder, fuller sounding upfiring speaker than the 10 IV and the V50'd dual-firing config.

"Stamina Mode" has been great for me so far. Easily lasts a week on standby. Loving the one-hand feel..........makes me wonder why don't all 6.5"+ phones have at least 6,000mAh and foldables-expandables at least 10,000mAh batteries.

As for being underpowered on some pricier wired headphones and planar IEMs any good USB dongle DAC from Apple, Samsung, will help with that unless you're in the market for a dedicated $75-$200 solution.

Could not agree more. The technology incorporated in these headphones is definitely geared towards wireless listening over bluetooth. For maximum sq, use LDAC @ 990kbps 👍🏻

Speaking of "wired Bluetooth headphones" have any of you experienced the LG FP9 with the case plugged into a phone, laptop, desktop, or amplification device?

I'd imagine the sound would be similar since the wireless buds themselves can't plug into anything themselves [insert Fiio UTWS 5 sponsor spot HERE] but I can't definitely see the wired connection as a really unique feature if the buds act more like traditional headphones if latency is reduced (cuz maybe optimized connection between the case & buds?), if the bitrate increases, and if applying custom EQ from any software becomes possible.

Apparently one of the best use cases (very punny) for the plugin feature is checking camera audio quality:

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxngf6JllCCVuSKhqd3S10meMbKrNlTSIa

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #4,872 of 5,168
Hidizs S9 Pro update: It's the same despite different cable combos and plugging-in my pair of BQEYZ KC2 into 3.5mm jacks on various phones phones compared to both the 3.5mm and 2.5 balanced outputs on the S9 Pro, but I think the KC2 is source sensitive and doesn't like whatever's coming out of the dongle DAC-AMP.

Basically I'm hearing background hissing static-y noise as songs/tracks fade out with the way the static noise fizzles out being different at the end of each track.

Hasn't happened on any of my other earbuds & IEMs when paired with the S9 Pro. Hopefully I can enjoy the KC2 with the Cayin RU6 I'm planning to get sometime soon.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #4,873 of 5,168
I snagged a brand new OnePlus Nord CE 2 Lite 5G with a contract for $ 80. I put my HD 599 SE on... Lo and behold... Qualcomm® WCD9385 and DSD playback on Android 12 (!), but I cannot say if it was converted to PCM in Poweramp. Good sound, not that far off LG V10 and G7, maybe on par with HTC 10. Great LCD, almost LED-like (I cannot stand Amoled), and plenty of power for my 50 ohm headphones. I guess the integraded audio soultions are becoming better and better, I was pleasantly surprised. While nothing to write home about, I expected the OnePlus to be totally annihilated by both LG phones, which did not happen, although they were clear winners. The sound signature was similar to Xperia 10 IV that I reviewed not so long ago, although it is clear that Sony tweaked the sound from 695G. A lot! Especially in the bass department.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/application/audio/mobile-audio/wcd9385

Nov 27, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #4,874 of 5,168
I snagged a brand new OnePlus Nord CE 2 Lite 5G with a contract for $ 80. I put my HD 599 SE on... Lo and behold... Qualcomm® WCD9385 and DSD playback on Android 12 (!), but I cannot say if it was converted to PCM in Poweramp. Good sound, not that far off LG V10 and G7, maybe on par with HTC 10. Great LCD, almost LED-like (I cannot stand Amoled), and plenty of power for my 50 ohm headphones. I guess the integraded audio soultions are becoming better and better, I was pleasantly surprised. While nothing to write home about, I expected the OnePlus to be totally annihilated by both LG phones, which did not happen, although they were clear winners. The sound signature was similar to Xperia 10 IV that I reviewed not so long ago, although it is clear that Sony tweaked the sound from 695G. A lot! Especially in the bass department.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/application/audio/mobile-audio/wcd9385
Similar impression on Xperia 1 series after using LG V30, V40 and V60. I can't tell much difference between Quad DAC and Sony tuned Aqstic. Sony tuning is more warm. LG series have different tuning thru generiations (B&O, Meridian, finally LG) and all of them are neutral, appearing more bright than Sony offerings. But sound quality wise I can't tell much of a difference. I'm not sure if I'd be able to pass blind test between two.

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #4,875 of 5,168
This is my third sleepless night, Using HD 599 SE, as my Focal Listen Pro are in another city. LG`s own music app gives considerably better results than Poweramp, that I am using on the HTC 10 with personal profile in Boomsound, and in the OnePlus. Comparing the 3 phones using 24 bit 96- HTC192 kHz audio and some DSF.
Bass is more on the latter, it makes the soundstage seem wider, but bass quality is the least better of the 3. Clarity and transparency are also behind the other two. The lovely warm tuning of the 695G gives quite an enjoyable, non-tiring and easy listen, but as soon as one starts clinical listening...yeah, you got the idea. HTC 10 has better highs. Think of it as a hybrid between the LG and the OnePlus. Of course, the LG shines in treble extension, and drums have the necesarry pitch to actually sound like drums. Tuning is indeed different, with the OnePlus pulling electric guitars forward in your face, leaving everything behind. And the highs...well, they sound like placed way above, maybe one on the ceiling, rather than on the floor with the rest. HTC 10 shows the best quality bass in rock, but LG excells in EDM in that regard. HTC 10 has some... not veil, but slight muddyness, which can be pleasant at times. Oneplus has Dirac Real HD sound, which is almost indistinguishable, on / off. A close call, but HTC is better, and takes second place after the LG. The HTC sounds more natural than the OnePlus, but I expected the first to smash the latter - this did not happen. More complex music really helps, especially with high-pitched violins, bagpipes and other instruments like this. The differences become quite more apparent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back