Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Oct 6, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #4,801 of 5,168
Guyz, I have been using the LG V20 for a number of years and recently upgraded to the V50.
I'm not happy with the audio presentation on the V50 no matter which headphones I'm using. V20 is way superior without getting into the details. V50 just sounds all wrong.
Someone on v50 telegram group told me that something changed in audio presentation from Android 9 upwards, I'm on A12 now.
Can anyone confirm this and was it 'better' on A9.
I'm tempted to downgrade but that's a lot of trouble so I thought I would seek out opinions first.
I'm an android dev and maybe I can 'fix' the issue although that's a slim changes but who knows.

Oct 6, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #4,802 of 5,168
Guyz, I have been using the LG V20 for a number of years and recently upgraded to the V50.
I'm not happy with the audio presentation on the V50 no matter which headphones I'm using. V20 is way superior without getting into the details. V50 just sounds all wrong.
Someone on v50 telegram group told me that something changed in audio presentation from Android 9 upwards, I'm on A12 now.
Can anyone confirm this and was it 'better' on A9.
I'm tempted to downgrade but that's a lot of trouble so I thought I would seek out opinions first.
I'm an android dev and maybe I can 'fix' the issue although that's a slim changes but who knows.
which player app do you use?

Oct 7, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #4,803 of 5,168
I forgot to ask again, what was the problem you had with V30 & Cobalt? Buzzing or disconnects? I have a Motorola Moto X Force lying around which is a very old phone and tried connecting some of my DACs, no issues with it so I doubt it's a softwear problem.

Have you tried different USB Cables? and tested to make sure the V30's USB port is fine?
My english is poor I ll try
Tried only with the dragontail I bought this week, the v30 is updated to the last oreo software.
I dont suspect connector problem
I just changed its battery with a no name one in a quite "home made artisanal way" but it runs flawlessly
No disconnection problem, just "cracking" gently and getting buzzy and inaudible (some kind of electronic noise bug) quickly whatever the app
No problem with my father's cheap crosscall (Android 11)

Oct 7, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #4,804 of 5,168
My english is poor I ll try
Tried only with the dragontail I bought this week, the v30 is updated to the last oreo software.
I dont suspect connector problem
I just changed its battery with a no name one in a quite "home made artisanal way" but it runs flawlessly
No disconnection problem, just "cracking" gently and getting buzzy and inaudible (some kind of electronic noise bug) quickly whatever the app
No problem with my father's cheap crosscall (Android 11)
Try with Airplane mode "On" to rule out RFI.

Oct 7, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #4,809 of 5,168
Yes, or a new dac ?! Back to the starting point !! At least I found MY perfect iem !
I understand the frustration, it sucks that most of us can't check or audition audio gear easily. What's your fav IEM?

I've already shared it before but will say it again, I personally would get another DAC. Changing a phone might fix that buzzing noise but if you find the current sound fatiguing then that's a problem. There are plenty of good DACs available now.

Oct 7, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #4,811 of 5,168
I understand the frustration, it sucks that most of us can't check or audition audio gear easily. What's your fav IEM?

I've already shared it before but will say it again, I personally would get another DAC. Changing a phone might fix that buzzing noise but if you find the current sound fatiguing then that's a problem. There are plenty of good DACs available now.
I have westone x50 pro
Here my comments

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/westone-x50-pro.26024/

Listening with v30 for a week now makes me definitely change for something sounding like the cobalt of being close of.
V30 sounds so flat and boring in comparison!
Less tiring because more relaxed sounding and less treble,but nevertheless I feel that I need to push more the sound level to feel something, so finally tiring !
No , the main "problem" are definitely my fragile ears and agressive type of music.
But I learnt that I need much more than v30 quality, so if I follow your advices, keep using a DAC

Oct 9, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #4,814 of 5,168
Spot on about V50 being nothing special. I found it disgusting to listen to. G7 is very dynamic, engaging, but also tiring and less fuller, dare I say it sounds thinner. After spending $ 100 on batteries for my lovely V10, I am tempted to give V20 a try. I read that V10 has better sub-bass and wider soundstage than V20? Comparing V10 to V60 was fun, they were close, both more pleasant than G7. But I prefered V10 in the end. If V20 has less bass than V10, I will be disappointed.

Oct 10, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #4,815 of 5,168
As far as current flagship smartphones with a 3.5mm jack/Hifi DAC there are only two options available: the Sony Xperia 1 IV or Asus ROG 6. Has anyone compared the two in terms of sound quality? I desperately need to upgrade my LG V60 - it's just too sluggish/slow for my current needs which makes sense given that it's 2+ years old.

I'm probably going to order the Xperia 1 IV since cost isn't an issue (it's $2200 CAD) but I'm worried about the overheating issues that reviews mention. Hopefully Sony fixes it over time, they've issued a firmware update for the international version. The NA variant might not have any overheating issues since it's being released in a few days (as opposed to the demo/review units for the global edition).

Edit: The ROG 6 Pro is probably best suited for my use case seeing as it has superior specs (18GB RAM vs 12GB on Xperia 1 IV/S22 Ultra, fastest smartphone CPU on the market currently, 165hz refresh rate vs 120hz, 6000mAh vs 5000mAh battery, and better cooling) but I'm not a fan of the gamer aesthetic at all. The camera quality on the ROG 6 is also pretty awful but that's not a priority.
What does a ****ing smartphone need 18 gigs if ram ***???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back