Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jul 6, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #4,711 of 5,168
Hello,

I have the Sony Xperia 5 II and one of my brothers a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra (yes, I know but he cares about how it looks (the screen) and I very much care about the sound). In any case I like the BTR5 2021 sound very much (considering my reluctance towards wireless) and on my Xperia 5 II the BTR5 sounds very good LDAC - Sound Quality. On the S22 Ultra is just not the same - less detail and very obvious less wide. Both LDAC and both Sound Quality (on the S22 Ultra we forced through Developer Options) however though LDAC is Open Sorce it seems Sony is "keeping" something just for their Xperias. I tried the S22 Ultra, then an S22 Plus then an S21 FE. Sony has the very obvious edge. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Jul 6, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #4,712 of 5,168
Hello,

I have the Sony Xperia 5 II and one of my brothers a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra (yes, I know but he cares about how it looks (the screen) and I very much care about the sound). In any case I like the BTR5 2021 sound very much (considering my reluctance towards wireless) and on my Xperia 5 II the BTR5 sounds very good LDAC - Sound Quality. On the S22 Ultra is just not the same - less detail and very obvious less wide. Both LDAC and both Sound Quality (on the S22 Ultra we forced through Developer Options) however though LDAC is Open Sorce it seems Sony is "keeping" something just for their Xperias. I tried the S22 Ultra, then an S22 Plus then an S21 FE. Sony has the very obvious edge. Has anyone had any experience with this?
The LG V30 and V40 still for me sound amazing. Not to mention they also have LDAC capabilities, which when paired with the Sony WH-1000mx3, sound great as far as bluetooth connectivity goes.

Jul 6, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #4,713 of 5,168
Also enjoying WH-1000xm3 on LG G8. Every time I connect I'll go to developer options to switch to 44.1k, 16-bit, sound quality (909kbps) for my WAV's. It's funny, I'm also using a Dragonfly Cobalt/Red, so I'm never really touching the quad anymore.

Looking at new phones, only the Sony really appeals to me sound wise. My carrier doesn't offer it or the Rog, so I'd be paying $2000+ up front. And a lot of that isn't for audio. So I very unexpectedly bought a NW-WM1AM2 Walkman. Will be my first time trying balanced, on Z7M2's. After that it will be neat to compare LDAC when it arrives in the next 1 - 50 weeks.

Jul 6, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #4,714 of 5,168
I agree. Sony did a real good job headphone jack wise. Had an LG (G8S) and also sounded really good. Compared to the Sony it had my type of sound (typical ESS - with increased high notes) and lots and lots of power. Compared to the Sony it had 4-5 times the power. But the Bluetooth it's my question here. And on Bluetooth the Sony sounds really good. Don't know, didn't test the LG then (it was 2 years back) to hear how LDAC fares.

Jul 6, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #4,715 of 5,168
The LG V30 and V40 still for me sound amazing. Not to mention they also have LDAC capabilities, which when paired with the Sony WH-1000mx3, sound great as far as bluetooth connectivity goes.
Sorry to say this, maybe it's my opinion but the WH-1000 line is good for noise cancelation but sound quality wise - V V V can't get more V than Sony

Jul 11, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #4,716 of 5,168
Thanks, I haven't seen V30 or V40. Only G7. While punchy and plenty bright, the colours are awful. I mich prefer HTC 10 and LG v10 in this regard.
@Inoculator, how would you compare G7 and V60, please, especially the bass?
V60 and g7 are pretty similar in terms of sound quality with some very minor differences. I don't think most people will notice the difference unless they have used both for extended period of time. Here is my impression of the difference using Sennheiser Hd 560s (no eq, no 3d effect, set to normal and flat with short filter applied). The v60 will have a slightly wider sound stage and just a tad more detail compared to g7. The bass on v60 is a tiny bit tighter but also a bit less loud (very minor, maybe like half or quarter decibel. Unnoticeable at most times). I noticed no other difference in mids and treble. Hope this answers your question.

Jul 12, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #4,719 of 5,168
Jul 12, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #4,720 of 5,168
Is the apple dongle the best sound I can get from an iphone with a iem
Nope. The Cayin RU6 is far better IMO; however, it depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #4,721 of 5,168
Thanks, a bit over my budget. Question for anyone that can help. I listen to aria with my iphone 13 with amazon hd music. Bought the kato and they are just a little to bright for me. Does anyone know how I could put a equalizer on my iphone that would work with amazon music. Preferably free.

Jul 12, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #4,722 of 5,168
Thanks, a bit over my budget. Question for anyone that can help. I listen to aria with my iphone 13 with amazon hd music. Bought the kato and they are just a little to bright for me. Does anyone know how I could put a equalizer on my iphone that would work with amazon music. Preferably free.

EQ app
https://apps.apple.com/th/app/boom-bass-booster-equalizer/id1065511007?l=th

Buy new cable also helps
US $56.43 43%OFF | RX series (enhanced version) Headset upgrade cable advanced upgrade cable N5005 MMCX 0.78MM
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrvwyEi

Jul 13, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #4,723 of 5,168
Hello, I have older Sony Xperia Z3 and considering an upgrade. How Xperia 5 III / Xperia 10 III compare to the Z3? Or maybe how these newer Xperia phones compare to the mid-range DAC, like e.g. FiiO KA3?

Jul 13, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #4,724 of 5,168
Hello, I have older Sony Xperia Z3 and considering an upgrade. How Xperia 5 III / Xperia 10 III compare to the Z3? Or maybe how these newer Xperia phones compare to the mid-range DAC, like e.g. FiiO KA3?
If not go to LG, then buy dongle. It is a way better than sony phone directly.

Jul 14, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #4,725 of 5,168
Have Xperia 5 II and tested (and returned very fast) the KA3. The sound from the Xperia is very accurate, detailed, neutral and great separation. However the depth is very much lacking but it's not a dedicated DAC. The KA3 sound fairs worse than that on the Xperia. A true upgrade sound quality wise is the Fiio BTR5 2021 but keep in mind that the Xperia also sounds good if you are not very pretentious. The thing it's mostly lacking is power.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back