Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jun 15, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #4,681 of 5,166
I assume you have heard the G7 Thinq then? I spent countless hours comparing them with Focal Listen Pro, Sennheiser HD 599 SE, CCA C12 with an upgraded cable. From the lowest to highest quality sources. Both sound surprisingly forgiving on Youtube mp3 (those unique Eurodance remixes made by non-professionals, unavailable on CD). V10 sure can sound analogue and very detailed even on that! Fuller and bassier thn G7 with the Short filter setting. I did carefully compare with all filters, but the Short gives wider, spacious soundstage. Still a narrower one than V10. The too many filter options made me listen over and over again to all songs. V10 is much better in this regard, not allowing any filters or eq for 24 bit. Bass and body at all frequencies are easily better than the digitally, analytical sounding G7. V10 sounds thicker and realistic. With dsd files, the difference is smaller and I almost prefer G7, maybe the newer Dac...V10 H961N with Android 7, and G710U with Android 9, both with the LG music app. G7 is less analogue, but not too digital, it sounds closer to HTC 10 with personal audio profile. The HTC is very enjoyable, but dull...compared to V10. A very unique tuning. Of all three, the HTC is the easiest to listen to, ears instantly adapt, thanks to the personal profile, which you can manipulate to get more bass or treble. It isn't easy to do, but well worth it. At least the HTC doesn't require adapters for high impedance mode, but requires a personal profile. G7 has less bass than HTC, but all three have enough even for low-bass headphones. Overly bright ones shine with HTC 10.

Jun 16, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #4,682 of 5,166
I assume you have heard the G7 Thinq then? I spent countless hours comparing them with Focal Listen Pro, Sennheiser HD 599 SE, CCA C12 with an upgraded cable. From the lowest to highest quality sources. Both sound surprisingly forgiving on Youtube mp3 (those unique Eurodance remixes made by non-professionals, unavailable on CD). V10 sure can sound analogue and very detailed even on that! Fuller and bassier thn G7 with the Short filter setting. I did carefully compare with all filters, but the Short gives wider, spacious soundstage. Still a narrower one than V10. The too many filter options made me listen over and over again to all songs. V10 is much better in this regard, not allowing any filters or eq for 24 bit. Bass and body at all frequencies are easily better than the digitally, analytical sounding G7. V10 sounds thicker and realistic. With dsd files, the difference is smaller and I almost prefer G7, maybe the newer Dac...V10 H961N with Android 7, and G710U with Android 9, both with the LG music app. G7 is less analogue, but not too digital, it sounds closer to HTC 10 with personal audio profile. The HTC is very enjoyable, but dull...compared to V10. A very unique tuning. Of all three, the HTC is the easiest to listen to, ears instantly adapt, thanks to the personal profile, which you can manipulate to get more bass or treble. It isn't easy to do, but well worth it. At least the HTC doesn't require adapters for high impedance mode, but requires a personal profile. G7 has less bass than HTC, but all three have enough even for low-bass headphones. Overly bright ones shine with HTC 10.
I haven't heard any of the G series actually, just the V series. but a Friend of mine, whos not in to audio at all, was just gifted a G7, and isn't using it. i've been kicking around the idea of asking if he would trade something for it, if nothing else, just to have another DAP.
pretty awesome how all 3 of those devices still stand out years later.

Jun 19, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #4,683 of 5,166
Dear All,

Today, I have some contents to share to you about how to maximize hifi in each phone that I own.

As you know, I have bought a lot of phones that has various potential in the past and today even though I have DX220MAX as an only DAP.

I miss their sound and would like to see its true potential... so I come back and do some research again. Here are the details that will surprises you.
Please be apologized on my poor grammar and vocab.

1. Vivo xplay6

This smartphone is the most break through devices in terms of sound quality back in 2016.

In the first stock rom (android6), everything is so good. 30 volume scale out of box compared to most phone at 15 scales (but LG can do 75 scales, that's magnificent too.)
Also, it has aux mode (by using adapter plugging and play song and then attach cans into adapter)

However After I update to android7, I am despaired when the volume becomes only 15 scale but still can use slider manually to adjust 30 scale but that's annoying.
There is an app called "precise volume". That can help at some extent.

At that time, our music source is offline music. so we play with hiby/neutron which is good because the hifi toggle comes up meaning that we are now bypassing android mixer and do everything right.

even though it is funny that neutron eval version is hifi while neutron full ver is DSD symbol. But anyway, we have two choices of HiRes way to listen to. not bad by vivo.

Spotify which is the popular streaming app is also HiFi. while apple music (at that time no hires lossless, so I don't care if it is HiFi)

Nowadays, my source is 95% streaming (apple music) and 5% offline music that apple doesn't have.
while HiBy music now have function to play music on onedrive and yeah hifi enabled. that's good free app.

So I think I need to make my apple music working hifi with xplay6!

Then I go to see imusic which is the stock music app in vivo. I go to setting in app. Surprisingly I see the option "allow background playback", I toggle it.
now I know how to make it work HiFi globally.... I download blank audio mp3 that 80 min long.
https://github.com/anars/blank-audi...o9v-xi6H0bNCJBGR9sET7GKaZlXBAhIyCuxPc0CgBQe50

and play this in iMusic. HiFi symbol goes up of course.
Then I go to apple music, finale, I can listen apple music in hifi now. satisfied result.
I think vivo later model should work too. but I don't have other than xplay6 so couldn't test.

2. Meizu pro 5 & Meizu mx4 pro
No need to say much. most analogue sound you can experience in this phone. software awesome. hardware well built.
spotify, apple music, neutron hires setting support meizu hifi system wide thanks to audiohifi.conf
the advantage is it has line out mode and you can use with impedance adjuster (pic below) and the sound is super clean and powerful.

1655644334572.png

3. Xiaomi mi note
My first audiophile phone in my life. loved it because this makes me come so far in audio experience. what I want to share is only that
neutron setting for HiRes isn Generic Driver setting is
"Tick on Hires (offload), Hires speaker and custom format in MODE: FAST and OFFLOAD"
This setting will make it shut down asound which mean bypass mixer and achieve true frequency.

What about other app. You need to root the device and install "app ops" to disable audio focus. then you can use the same way as vivo.
Note: it works on xiaomi mi note but not for xiaomi mi note pro.

4. Letv x900
Neutron version 2.0 and above is not working with HiRes. So I need to use 1.99 version and HiRes is acheived. however I don't know for this one if the other app can bypass android mixer not because it didn't sound differently when coming from stock music app to neutron or to spotify/apple music. (but yeah it's very loud in any app)

So for now I can just guarantee that neutron is just only app even though this phone has a super big thrust and impact for big cans. just sadly the software is not at its best. otherwise this will be more effective device.

feel free to PM/ discuss more in here. By the way, I will have LG V10 to collect and play with it hopefully arrive next month. Just my curious anyway.
However, I know nothing about vivo x series more since it cut off 3.5mm and also no interest in asus rog too. so I just being in past as always.

With Respect,
Art

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #4,685 of 5,166
As you know, I have bought a lot of phones that has various potential in the past and today even though I have DX220MAX as an only DAP.
I miss their sound and would like to see its true potential... so I come back and do some research again. Here are the details that will surprises you.
Please be apologized on my poor grammar and vocab.
1. Vivo xplay6
2. Meizu pro 5 & Meizu mx4 pro
3. Xiaomi mi note
4. Letv x900
Great write up. For the phones in the list I have or had 1. Vivo xplay 6, 2. Meizu Pro 5
I also love Meizu Pro 5 very much, its sound quality kind of perfect. While I found xplay6 too lean.
Now my favorite is LG V60. It is more refined, more 'correct', and more analog than Meizu Pro 5.

Jun 19, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #4,686 of 5,166
Jun 19, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #4,687 of 5,166
Great write up. For the phones in the list I have or had 1. Vivo xplay 6, 2. Meizu Pro 5
I also love Meizu Pro 5 very much, its sound quality kind of perfect. While I found xplay6 too lean.
Now my favorite is LG V60. It is more refined, more 'correct', and more analog than Meizu Pro 5.
Thanks for short comparison. I might look into lg v60 later. But do you know if it bypass SRC for apple music? Or has any trick to do like playing simulteneously with stock music app method?

Jun 22, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #4,689 of 5,166
I think I have learnt something today "Audio Focus" option in Neutron / UAPP / Poweramp.

If we disable this, It will allow playing two music app simulteneously. I think we can play "Blank Audio Mp3" and play apple music at the same time. and that should make it in same audio path as Neutron HiRes setting probably (but i didn't test it so I'm not sure here)

Is there any LG users can test this for us?

I am working farway from home and cannot test it in a few days.

Additional Note: Disable Audio Focus via adb in order to play apple music / spotify with stock music app.(Hopefully)

https://www.xda-developers.com/pokemon-go-audio-focus/amp/

Update:
1. Today, I try app ops version 3 for xiaomi mi note. I disable audio focus on mi music app. and it works now I can use trick of "blank audio" to play in mi music and simultenoeusly apple music for bit perfect. Now I'm fulfilled.
2. Letv Max seems to output everything at 48 kHz even at stock music app so the best way is still using neutron and set up Hires setting as I mentioned in previous comment.

3. wait for trying LG V10 and V60....

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #4,690 of 5,166
So, today, after probably over a year of ownership, I finally tried out my Geshelli J2 (home logistics caused the delay).

I connected the J2 to my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra via USB. I used a couple of ifi extensions and adaptors to get the USB cable to reach and connect to my phone. However, I noticed a popping noise which I believe is coming from the connection to my phone.

I switched to my laptop. The popping was intially there, but much less and after a while it more or less stopped, but remains when I used my phone.

Anyone experienced anything similar using phone & USB with the J2 (or any other dac?

Also any suggestions for fixes will be much appreciated)

I'll probably eventually add a streamer once the world has raspberry pis again and probably use a different input, but that seems like a long way away

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #4,691 of 5,166
So, today, after probably over a year of ownership, I finally tried out my Geshelli J2 (home logistics caused the delay).

I connected the J2 to my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra via USB. I used a couple of ifi extensions and adaptors to get the USB cable to reach and connect to my phone. However, I noticed a popping noise which I believe is coming from the connection to my phone.

I switched to my laptop. The popping was intially there, but much less and after a while it more or less stopped, but remains when I used my phone.

Anyone experienced anything similar using phone & USB with the J2 (or any other dac?

Also any suggestions for fixes will be much appreciated)

I'll probably eventually add a streamer once the world has raspberry pis again and probably use a different input, but that seems like a long way away
Does it require Usb driver installed?

Jun 24, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #4,692 of 5,166
LG V60 in the house. Testing it and love it! It has damaged screen but no problem, it's cheap and sounding great
1656069698787.png
1656069722991.png

Jun 24, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #4,694 of 5,166
No, but I think the problem is more the USB processing of the DAC rather than an issue with the phone.
Probably, did you try different cable / also power cable of the dac?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back