Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jun 24, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #4,696 of 5,166
I got an Asus RoG Phone 5. This Phone output is so clean that I get no wierd driver behavior when using the Focal Utopia out of it. Even when applying the bass slider on it all the way up.

Only downside, I can't find out a way to bypass Android Audio on it. It seems to always have the main DSP on that seems really forgiving to upper-mids (which is a good thing on the utopia).

But the most nuetral DSP mode on the Asus RoG 5S phone seems to be the Enteraiinment-mode Cinema-mode. Brings back all the vocal harmonics and everything else; that has been what I keep it on.

The headphone out doesn't hiss on any of my iems. And the power is so clean, that even my Focal Utopia is well behaved. It is not physically bass clipping at lower volumes....which it does on sources not suited for it. Also is not anywhere near full volume to drive the Utopia.

Though, I use my dap and not this phone for actual listening. I got this phone mostly for the big battery and the battery-saver charging mode.

By the way, this phone can do Class-G amping. Which just another silly way to mean it can do Class-A amping, and then Class-AB depending on how hard it gets pushed to its limits. Overall, it will probably be Class-A for most stuff; especially for iems and dynamic full-size headphones.

Of course difficult planars like the HE6SE v2 needs almost full phone volume.
20220327_204436.jpg

20220327_202802-1.jpg

20220327_200832.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #4,697 of 5,166
I got an Asus RoG Phone 5. This Phone output is so clean that I get no wierd driver behavior when using the Focal Utopia out of it. Even when applying the bass slider on it all the way up.

Only downside, I can't find out a way to bypass Android Audio on it. It seems to always have the main DSP on that seems really forgiving to upper-mids (which is a good thing on the utopia).

But the most nuetral DSP mode on the Asus RoG 5S phone seems to be the Enteraiinment-phone. Brings back all the vocal harmonics and everything else; that has been what I keep it on.

The headphone out doesn't hiss on any of my iems. And the power is so clean, that even my Focal Utopia is well behaved. It is not physically bass clipping at lower volumes....which it does on sources not suited for it. Also is not anywhere near full volume to drive the Utopia.

Though, I use my dap and not this phone for actual listening. I got this phone mostly for the big battery and the battery-saver charging mode.

By the way, this phone can do Class-G amping. Which just another silly way to mean it can Class-A amping l, and then Class-AB depending on how hard it pushes. Overall, it will probably be Class-A for most stuff; especially for iems and dynamic full-size headphones.

20220327_204436.jpg

20220327_202802-1.jpg
20220327_200832.jpg

Does its stock music app bypass android mixer? abd Does any setting up in UAPP or neutron help?

Jun 24, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #4,698 of 5,166

But the most nuetral DSP mode on the Asus RoG 5S phone seems to be the Enteraiinment-phone. Brings back all the vocal harmonics and everything else; that has been what I keep it on.

By the way, this phone can do Class-G amping. Which just another silly way to mean it can Class-A amping l, and then Class-AB depending on how hard it pushes. Overall, it will probably be Class-A for most stuff; especially for iems and dynamic full-size headphones.

Sorry, what do you mean by "most neutral DSP mode.... is Entertainment phone"? There are only 4 DSP modes which are Dynamic, Music, Cinema, Game. Which mode did you chose as the most neutral one?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #4,699 of 5,166
Probably, did you try different cable / also power cable of the dac?

I tried connecting via optical. I had to use a BT receiver with an optical out as I don't have other optical devices around. The popping disappeared. I also tried different USB cables but no luck.

Didn't mess with the power cable/adapter as it seems pretty clear it's related to the USB

Jun 25, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #4,700 of 5,166
Sorry, what do you mean by "most neutral DSP mode.... is Entertainment phone"? There are only 4 DSP modes which are Dynamic, Music, Cinema, Game. Which mode did you chose as the most neutral one?
Oops, I meant Cinema mode.

Jun 25, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #4,701 of 5,166

But the most nuetral DSP mode on the Asus RoG 5S phone seems to be the Enteraiinment-mode Cinema-mode. Brings back all the vocal harmonics and everything else; that has been what I keep it on.

20220327_204436.jpg

20220327_202802-1.jpg
20220327_200832.jpg
Nice. I'm going to be grabbing a Galaxy M51 to pair with my Hidizs S9 Pro as a "poor man's Fiio M15" within the next 2-3 seasons if used prices slide into the $225-$275 range.

Are there ways to reduce the idle/minimum battery drain rate due to internal components optimized for gaming and the flagship processor? Maybe rooting the phone and restricting the base/boost clocks of the CPU, GPU, and RAM?

Cuz I seem to be able to squeeze another hour or two out of my V50 by applying "grayscale mode" (in display or bedtime routine settings) and 720p resolution. I imagine reducing the refesh rate to 60hz helps too.

All that definitely explains how the M51 is able to get away with 30-40% longer low powerdraw runtimes even though the battery is only 15% larger than the ROG Phone 5. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being roughly the same with an external DAC-AMP dongle which in my case will be either the S9 Pro or Cayin RU6.

Jun 26, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #4,702 of 5,166
Are there ways to reduce the idle/minimum battery drain rate due to internal components optimized for gaming and the flagship processor? Maybe rooting the phone and restricting the base/boost clocks of the CPU, GPU, and RAM ?

No need to root your phone.

Use adb to uninstall anything you don't need / anything gaming related .

Jun 30, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #4,704 of 5,166
Jul 1, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #4,706 of 5,166
LG phones are going for too cheap. The LG V60, for example, has close to Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra performance with better audio/speakers and slightly worse display/camera. But there is no way it should be near the $300 price. If it were running on Android Cupcake and the camera looked like a potato, it still would be a steal for it's audio quality. But the battery is huge on an OLED display with Snapdragon 865 on Android 12 (Soon to be upgraded to Android 13). These prices are whacked.
Where are you finding lg v60 for 300 bucks

Jul 4, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #4,708 of 5,166
ALIEXPRESS has refurbished V60 phones around 300 $. The only thing that stops me is the low PWM display with fake whites (yuck) and low ppi.
" low PWM display with fake whites (yuck) and low ppi."
I didn't notice these problems. I love V60's display, it is a major upgrade from V30,40,50.
All previous LG model's display quality were kind of funky, and not competitive compared to Samsung and other brands. The only model with a competitive, proper, perfect screen is V60.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #4,709 of 5,166
Thanks, I haven't seen V30 or V40. Only G7. While punchy and plenty bright, the colours are awful. I mich prefer HTC 10 and LG v10 in this regard.
@Inoculator, how would you compare G7 and V60, please, especially the bass?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #4,710 of 5,166
LG phones are going for too cheap. The LG V60, for example, has close to Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra performance with better audio/speakers and slightly worse display/camera. But there is no way it should be near the $300 price. If it were running on Android Cupcake and the camera looked like a potato, it still would be a steal for it's audio quality. But the battery is huge on an OLED display with Snapdragon 865 on Android 12 (Soon to be upgraded to Android 13). These prices are whacked.
I use my v40 as a pass thru for TIDAL MQA to my Gumby. I heard the v60 won't do that. I listen to HFM planars that need lots of juice, and my Gumby/Rag combo crushes the v40 so that's not a path I can take (running those planars out of the phone). Anyone know for sure?

I also read TIDAL supports all androids now - but as a pass thru?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back