Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Nov 3, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #4,441 of 5,166
My V30 battery is barely hanging on for dear life. Have loved the quad DAC sound profile and power. Looking for a replacement, possibly either a Pixel 6 Pro or Xperia 5 iii if it ever gets released to the USA. I recently acquired an Earmen Tr-Amp to give me more power and flexibility for driving my headphones, either from desktop source or a future phone. I've enjoyed pairing the Tr-Amp (using Spotify Premium on MacBook Pro) with my HD800S, but not so much when I pair it with either my Shure 846s or my MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Opens. Surprisingly, I actually prefer the V30 with the other two. Perhaps the V30 may be more bright and analytical and thus balance out the warmer, bass-focused nature of those phones. The Tr-Amp seems less neutral than I would have guessed: I get a more bloated bass and lose some treble separation and texture compared to the V30. Does that make any sense to you all? Anyhow, wondering if you all think I might choose a better portable DAC/amp to connect with a future phone (and desktop) that preserves some of what I love about the V30 quad DAC.
Why not just grab another v30 or v60?, they are decently priced.

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #4,444 of 5,166
Hi guys, what do you think about Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra ?

Thx
Depends on what your needs are and what headphones you are trying to use with it. Doesn't have a headphone jack so I assuming you don't need that. As far as Bluetooth, LDAC should work but if you have a device that also supports it but, generally, Samsung disables aptX HD and aptX adaptive in favor of it's own Scalable codec so you won't be able to use aptX HD or aptX adaptive with the S21 Ultra (regular aptX works).

Nov 3, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #4,445 of 5,166
Depends on what your needs are and what headphones you are trying to use with it. Doesn't have a headphone jack so I assuming you don't need that. As far as Bluetooth, LDAC should work but if you have a device that also supports it but, generally, Samsung disables aptX HD and aptX adaptive in favor of it's own Scalable codec so you won't be able to use aptX HD or aptX adaptive with the S21 Ultra (regular aptX works).
Really? They disable ABTX & adaptive? Can you enable it in developer options?

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #4,446 of 5,166
My old S10e only have standard AptX support and have no way of enabling AptX HD that I know of through Dev options

Nov 6, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #4,447 of 5,166

Hello, I do have Sony WH-H900N.

Thanks.

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #4,448 of 5,166
I'm currently listening to my music through a pair of Klipsch Reference Series R-41PM 2-way Monitor Speakers with a Nokia 7.1 for my source playing mostly lossless tracks configured to Aptx Adaptive. And my question is would I improve the sound quality, soundstage etc. if I used a dedicated player such as a fiio m7k or are there any better phones bearing in mind I'm only using Bluetooth.

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #4,449 of 5,166
I'm currently listening to my music through a pair of Klipsch Reference Series R-41PM 2-way Monitor Speakers with a Nokia 7.1 for my source playing mostly lossless tracks configured to Aptx Adaptive. And my question is would I improve the sound quality, soundstage etc. if I used a dedicated player such as a fiio m7k or are there any better phones bearing in mind I'm only using Bluetooth.
No. There will be no improvement at all.

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #4,450 of 5,166
You need to find speakers/headphones which support LDAC codec and your phone/player must also support LDAC, then only you can enhance sound through bluetooth.

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #4,455 of 5,166
If someone uses Asus Rog Phone 5 with Akg k701 / 702 Akg k601 / 612 Dt770 / 880/990/150 or hd595 / 600 headphones, which of the above headphones should be best in the 70s, 80s, 90s
I own Rog 5 but I also own none of the headphones in Your list. But, if You want to read, anyway, this is what i can say: I don't know if You came from the '80s but the best match i found for this decade is a brutal and simple Koss Porta Pro. Yes a 40$ headphone! Anyway It depends from which genre You use to listen. A dark sounding headphone can heavily emphasize music by This Mortal Coil, Sisters of Mercy or Dead can dance, for example. Instead, to immerse myself in '70s rock i prefer my Grado sr-80. In the end, some of the main '90s-early 2000 music is similar to '70s music but with a bit of electronics and a more saturated transient. The point Is that Is not just the decade (that sounds in that way because of cultural reasons as technology or low/strong productions impact) but mainly it depends by the kind of music You listen to. This Is a personal opinion by a guy that is not an audiophile but that ranges over all genres and decades by '50s to our times.
Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back