Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Sep 30, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #4,366 of 5,166
I could use all your expert assistance. I am currently in sonic heaven using my LG V30, especially when connected to my HD 800S cans. Those are my favorite headphones. I also listen to my MrSpeaker Aeon Flow Opens when I'm in bed, and I listen to Shure SE846 when I'm outside the house. I do not have golden ears and am perfectly happy using Spotify's extreme format, but won't settle for anything more compressed.

My problem is the battery is really starting to deteriorate on my V30. Sure, a newer phone would be nice for a more upgraded camera and other features, but those aren't really that important to me. My current options seem to be, partly after reading some advice on the forum:

1) Buy a replacement battery and attempt to replace it on my V30 with the risk of mucking it up, ruining my lovely device, screwing up its water seal, etc. If successful, though, I'm back in business until maybe a better option enters the marketplace.

2) LG V60s are no longer offered by cell phone carriers in the USA, but I was looking at this option when they were. I could try to buy one on the open marketplace, but this seems to come with a lot of risk and hassle. I'm currently on the Verizon network and have been for decades. Also not sure if it makes sense to buy a product made from a company that no longer is in the cell phone business.

3) Buy a Sony Xperia 1 iii: Positives are that it is a contemporary flagship phone with all the advantages that implies, it has a great camera set up, it may be the best current mobile phone in the US marketplace for audiophiles, it will have enough power to drive my Shure IEMs with no problem. I've seen mixed reviews here and other places. It's expensive (though, this is not a major factor for me.) There is no way it will have enough power to drive my Aeon Flows or HD800S phones, though. I could just keep my V30 plugged into the power at home and continue to use it as a media player only.

4) Buy another flagship phone via Verizon, likely a Samsung Galaxy S21, and also purchase a portable amp/DAC. This might be the most hassle free option. Will I miss my V30, though? I'm also concerned if any truly portable (dongle) type amp/DACs will have enough power to drive the HD800S and Aeon Flows.

What would you all do if you were me?

Sep 30, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #4,367 of 5,166
I could use all your expert assistance. I am currently in sonic heaven using my LG V30, especially when connected to my HD 800S cans. Those are my favorite headphones. I also listen to my MrSpeaker Aeon Flow Opens when I'm in bed, and I listen to Shure SE846 when I'm outside the house. I do not have golden ears and am perfectly happy using Spotify's extreme format, but won't settle for anything more compressed.

My problem is the battery is really starting to deteriorate on my V30. Sure, a newer phone would be nice for a more upgraded camera and other features, but those aren't really that important to me. My current options seem to be, partly after reading some advice on the forum:

1) Buy a replacement battery and attempt to replace it on my V30 with the risk of mucking it up, ruining my lovely device, screwing up its water seal, etc. If successful, though, I'm back in business until maybe a better option enters the marketplace.

2) LG V60s are no longer offered by cell phone carriers in the USA, but I was looking at this option when they were. I could try to buy one on the open marketplace, but this seems to come with a lot of risk and hassle. I'm currently on the Verizon network and have been for decades. Also not sure if it makes sense to buy a product made from a company that no longer is in the cell phone business.

3) Buy a Sony Xperia 1 iii: Positives are that it is a contemporary flagship phone with all the advantages that implies, it has a great camera set up, it may be the best current mobile phone in the US marketplace for audiophiles, it will have enough power to drive my Shure IEMs with no problem. I've seen mixed reviews here and other places. It's expensive (though, this is not a major factor for me.) There is no way it will have enough power to drive my Aeon Flows or HD800S phones, though. I could just keep my V30 plugged into the power at home and continue to use it as a media player only.

4) Buy another flagship phone via Verizon, likely a Samsung Galaxy S21, and also purchase a portable amp/DAC. This might be the most hassle free option. Will I miss my V30, though? I'm also concerned if any truly portable (dongle) type amp/DACs will have enough power to drive the HD800S and Aeon Flows.

If you are perfectly happy with v30 ( 100% happy ) then just change battery , go for a battery replacement instead of putting yourself in troubles for upgradities .
If you are minding an upgrade for sonics and do not fear the extra link in the chain : as a v30 owner and portable amp/dacs owner too, I would say upgrading to a current portable amp/DAC would fit , I wouldn't set for dongles as the sonic difference with v30 could be subtle or compromising on some departments depending on the dongle chipset and choice, a more complete amp/dac will give a more solid performance and leave nothing to desire or regret . my experience

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #4,368 of 5,166

Haven’t heard the LG quad dac lineups, but if you like the ESS sound signature, don’t mind about gaming aesthetic look with basic camera results, then I would suggest you the Rog Phone 5. It’s got the ESS ES9280 pro quad dac, 6000mah battery, Snapdragon 888, 65W charging brick (depending on the region), bypass charging capabilities (it’s a feature that you can powered the phone directly from the power outlet using the charging brick without recharging the battery, just like a laptop/MacBook, it’s all about preserving the battery’s health).

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #4,369 of 5,166

I was in the same boat 1 month ago. ^^

My V30 was damaged a bit, though still usable, and has left some battery on the road after owning and use it more than 3 years.

I also was on the hunt for a worth successor, albeit I've switch to iems for my portable needs.

So I've decided to go all in and bought the Xperia 1 MK3.

What should I say?
I like the change in tonality, it has to offer.
Very pleased by it's warmer sounding, which is a real benefit to headphones/ iems north of neutral, and even "neutral" ones.

For my headphones, i do use the BTR5 or Mojo instead.
BTR5 has the same tonality and quality like the V30, imo.
So I'm good with the choice I've made. :)

I agree to @boodi , to go for a dedicated mobile Dac/amp, so you can chance to whatever smartphone you want and be able to retain the sound you're used to. :wink:

Sep 30, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #4,370 of 5,166
I almost always buy phones from open market (cragslist, ebay, head-fi market, facebook market, Amazon used market), no problem so far.
I don't remember when was the last time I bought new phone.

lots of Verizon V60s on craigslist and ebay right now. But watch closely to the description, and don't buy super cheap ones.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #4,371 of 5,166
If you are perfectly happy with v30 ( 100% happy ) then just change battery , go for a battery replacement instead of putting yourself in troubles for upgradities .
If you are minding an upgrade for sonics and do not fear the extra link in the chain : as a v30 owner and portable amp/dacs owner too, I would say upgrading to a current portable amp/DAC would fit , I wouldn't set for dongles as the sonic difference with v30 could be subtle or compromising on some departments depending on the dongle chipset and choice, a more complete amp/dac will give a more solid performance and leave nothing to desire or regret . my experience
Thanks Boodi. Has anyone here had success (or horrible failure!) with replacing the battery in an LG V30? This could be my interim solution until my dream phone materializes. I'm just concerned I may destroy my only operative cell phone. I have a watch collection and have monkeyed around with a couple by opening them up and placing hands etc. Now a couple of them no longer work :rolling_eyes:. How do you define the difference between a portable amp/DAC vs dongle? I would be looking for something that is truly portable to carry to work, public transport, etc. It seems like I could still use my V30 as a home device, but need a cell phone replacement outside the home.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #4,372 of 5,166
Haven’t heard the LG quad dac lineups, but if you like the ESS sound signature, don’t mind about gaming aesthetic look with basic camera results, then I would suggest you the Rog Phone 5. It’s got the ESS ES9280 pro quad dac, 6000mah battery, Snapdragon 888, 65W charging brick (depending on the region), bypass charging capabilities (it’s a feature that you can powered the phone directly from the power outlet using the charging brick without recharging the battery, just like a laptop/MacBook, it’s all about preserving the battery’s health).
I forgot to mention that option, and the Rog Phone 5 has gotten much fanfare on this thread. Yes, the gaming aesthetic look does really turn me off, but I'm not looking at the phone's esthetics when I'm listening to music. That's actually very tempting. It seems odd to buy a device that's really meant for a different kind of user, but I shouldn't be put off if that is still my best option. I'm just a simpleton and have been choosing out of Verizon's line up every upgrade. Is it difficult to set a phone up like that on Verizon's network? I'm also willing to switch networks.

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #4,373 of 5,166
I was in the same boat 1 month ago. ^^

My V30 was damaged a bit, though still usable, and has left some battery on the road after owning and use it more than 3 years.

I also was on the hunt for a worth successor, albeit I've switch to iems for my portable needs.

So I've decided to go all in and bought the Xperia 1 MK3.

What should I say?
I like the change in tonality, it has to offer.
Very pleased by it's warmer sounding, which is a real benefit to headphones/ iems north of neutral, and even "neutral" ones.

For my headphones, i do use the BTR5 or Mojo instead.
BTR5 has the same tonality and quality like the V30, imo.
So I'm good with the choice I've made. :)

I agree to @boodi , to go for a dedicated mobile Dac/amp, so you can chance to whatever smartphone you want and be able to retain the sound you're used to. :wink:
Yeah, it might be fun to try a change of pace with the Xperia. I'm just afraid of being disappointed. My Shure SE846s are already on the warm side of neutral, so hopefully that wouldn't be overkill. I'm concerned the BTR5 may not have the power to drive my HD800S or Aeon Flows properly. I don't have any interest in the Bluetooth capability. Is there a higher power amp/DAC that would do the trick? Would it be worth getting balanced cables to eek the needed power to drive those cans?

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #4,374 of 5,166
I almost always buy phones from open market (cragslist, ebay, head-fi market, facebook market, Amazon used market), no problem so far.
I don't remember when was the last time I bought new phone.

lots of Verizon V60s on craigslist and ebay right now. But watch closely to the description, and don't buy super cheap ones.
I had checked out a few open market listings of V60s. I would pay a premium for one that is new, but most seem to be open box. I would want to make sure the battery has all its life left. I guess it's time to research how to activate a phone bought on the open market :sweat_smile: I can be a luddite at times.

Oct 1, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #4,375 of 5,166
Yeah, it might be fun to try a change of pace with the Xperia. I'm just afraid of being disappointed. My Shure SE846s are already on the warm side of neutral, so hopefully that wouldn't be overkill. I'm concerned the BTR5 may not have the power to drive my HD800S or Aeon Flows properly. I don't have any interest in the Bluetooth capability. Is there a higher power amp/DAC that would do the trick? Would it be worth getting balanced cables to eek the needed power to drive those cans?
Hmm.
The BTR5 throws out 80mW @32r on SE and 240mW@ 32r on balanced out.

The V30 has at least ~ 120 mW @32r on HIM.

Maybe the Ifi Hip Dac is a nice little Dac/Amp to consider, even with a mid-range smartphone. :)

Oct 1, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #4,376 of 5,166

I would avoid the Samsung phones. I know you said in a later post that you don't care for bluetooth but you may want that in the future and Samsung has been limiting bluetooth functionality on its phones by not including aptX adaptive and aptX HD in favor of its own proprietary Scalable codec. This was the main reason I switched to LG and OnePlus after the S9. Bluetooth tech has been improving and, while you may not be interested in bluetooth today, you may one day appreciate the flexibility. Its not only about TWS or devices like the BTR5 or Qudelix 5k (I have and love the 5K by the way as it can drive my SE846 and even my Aeon 2 Noire to decent levels). You may want the flexibility to stream via aptX HD or LDAC to speakers as well (my ES100 is basically a bluetooth receiver in my living room now).

Also, I found over time that the stress from dongles seems to make the USB ports loose over time and some smaller cables dont end up fitting properly (happened on my S9 and V60). Just cant beat the convenience of a headphone jack.

Does the Asus ROG 5 support 5G on T Mobile? I have seen reviews stating the Asus phones do not have the right bands for 5G in the US. Have actually been having network issues for my One Plus 8T (replaced phone once and SIM card twice) and have been looking for a new phone myself. Currently have the V60 and OnePlus 8T for calls...thought about going with 2 V60s but it is way to bulky and heavy since I have to use the dual screen case for one (due to the USB C port issue described above).

Seems like Xperia 1 is the phone of choice these days.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #4,377 of 5,166
Thanks Boodi. Has anyone here had success (or horrible failure!) with replacing the battery in an LG V30? This could be my interim solution until my dream phone materializes. I'm just concerned I may destroy my only operative cell phone. I have a watch collection and have monkeyed around with a couple by opening them up and placing hands etc. Now a couple of them no longer work :rolling_eyes:. How do you define the difference between a portable amp/DAC vs dongle? I would be looking for something that is truly portable to carry to work, public transport, etc. It seems like I could still use my V30 as a home device, but need a cell phone replacement outside the home.
I changed battery on the v40 , it took me 30 min. v40 and v30 are very similar inside .

alternatively , if you are not at ease with diy , ask for a local or online service, price is not outrageous and there's plenty of shop offering it .

Oct 1, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #4,378 of 5,166
the difference between a portable amp/dac vs dongle : dongle wins easy for weight and carriage . You use a bluetooth dongle if you don't want an extra weight to carry , you can clip dongles to headphones and operate them from the phone and they disappear , or so .

A good portable amp/dac with bluetooth operations would become like carrying a phone with hedaphones wired , and LDAC bluetooth quality if present would cover completely the bitrate of many lossless formats .

the portable Amp/dac wins for sonics , not a rule but ..
if you can afford a decent portable amp/dac sonics with hd800s and generally with high resolving headphones will be better ( i.e. bass handling separation and tonal accuracy would improve and character of sound in general will be more coherent , if I compare Fiio Q5s TC and Qudelix 5k none of the two is bad and each has its strenght , both have LDAC , but a sonic difference is there and I prefer the former for sonics.

If I were perfectly happy with v30 I wouldn't embark in upgradities; just change battery .

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #4,379 of 5,166
Based on all your advice, I'm tempted to purchase an Xperia 1 iii to experience a difference in sound signature (vs V30) with my Shure SE846s on the go and to have a fully supported phone with a great camera set up. I may continue to use the V30 at home with the more power hungry cans for awhile and eventually upgrade to using something like the Fiio Q5s TC.

Oct 1, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #4,380 of 5,166
RIght now I have the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra which has a very nice camera but looking at adding a LG V60 to my outfit with the dual screen case so that I can chillax to some kickass music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back