Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Sep 3, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #4,351 of 5,166
Hi all, i'm testing my ROG5 with some detachable cable cans and some high-impedence ones. I'm playing just now plugging my Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon 25 Ohms pair. As You probably know Nighthawks are polarizing dark sounding cans. Personally i love them but i know that others hate Hawks... anyway, the bad news is that i can confirm that ROG doesn't love detachable cables to push high-gain mode: as i already noticed plugging V-Moda Crossfade M100 Master, in a strage way and after some tracks (or maybe particulary playing some tracks), sound gives back randomly on both, right and left size. In any case, also without hacking high-gain mode, Hawks are 25 Ohms, so volume is very good without setting it to max level and ROG keeps this strange cans sound brilliant (for my taste). Instead Koss Porta-Pro sounds in a great 80's sounding way: with its 60 Ohms impedence, they can push volume like an hammer because high-gain starts automatically. That's all for now.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #4,352 of 5,166
I'm curious, how do modern Android smartphones actually compare to modern iPhones (X and newer)?

Sep 6, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #4,353 of 5,166
I'm curious, how do modern Android smartphones actually compare to modern iPhones (X and newer)?
The major different is the bluetooth codec,
Android have a superior bluetooth sound quality,
LDAC,

if you don't have any LDAC headphone/devices,
then get the iPhone,

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #4,354 of 5,166
Bionic chip is a better performer than Qualcomm's flagship 888 chip in both RIL as well benchmark tests.

If you are part of the ecosystem then Apple is undoubtedly the best choice. IMO what Android offers so far is the liberty to pick and choose a device that suits your tastes which is not possible with Apple. My other gripe with Apple is that their ecosystem so closed that even a caged bird would feel more free.

Sep 6, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #4,355 of 5,166
LDAC,

then get the iPhone,
What is the codec and bandwidth Apple's using for BT? AAC?

Sep 6, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #4,356 of 5,166
LDAC,

then get the iPhone,
Yesterday I inadvertantly discovered that my Samsung A11 has LDAC. Maybe it was the Android 11 update from a couple months ago, maybe it had been there the whole time with 10.

I'd recently gotten a FiiO BTR5 but, after selecting LDAC in the A11's Developer options and selecting LDAC only in BTR5's FiiO control app, it would still only do aptX. Which was fine and sounded good, I just concluded the phone doesn't have the capability, so be it.

Last night, for some reason, after I'd connected the BTR5 to the phone, I drilled all the way down into the phone Bluetooth connections--Bluetooth Paired Devices/Details/Select FiiO BTR5 gear icon. In this gear icon menu, that I'm pretty sure I had never seen, below Use For Calls and Audio, was Codecs with a toggle for LDAC (use high quality audio) which was off. I clicked it on and immediately had an LDAC (high quality audio in use) connection to the FiiO. Sounded really good too. I went back into Developer options and it seemed to have populated with HD Audio toggled on, 96kHz, etc.

Funny these phones and Bluetooth codecs--there's not much in the way of instructions out there, you just have to have some curiosity and want to dig far into the menus, etc. I thought I'd dug in far enough but I guess I hadn't.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #4,357 of 5,166
Yesterday I inadvertantly discovered that my Samsung A11 has LDAC. Maybe it was the Android 11 update from a couple months ago, maybe it had been there the whole time with 10.

I'd recently gotten a FiiO BTR5 but, after selecting LDAC in the A11's Developer options and selecting LDAC only in BTR5's FiiO control app, it would still only do aptX. Which was fine and sounded good, I just concluded the phone doesn't have the capability, so be it.

Last night, for some reason, after I'd connected the BTR5 to the phone, I drilled all the way down into the phone Bluetooth connections--Bluetooth Paired Devices/Details/Select FiiO BTR5 gear icon. In this gear icon menu, that I'm pretty sure I had never seen, below Use For Calls and Audio, was Codecs with a toggle for LDAC (use high quality audio) which was off. I clicked it on and immediately had an LDAC (high quality audio in use) connection to the FiiO. Sounded really good too. I went back into Developer options and it seemed to have populated with HD Audio toggled on, 96kHz, etc.

Funny these phones and Bluetooth codecs--there's not much in the way of instructions out there, you just have to have some curiosity and want to dig far into the menus, etc. I thought I'd dug in far enough but I guess I hadn't.
I have found the CODEC change in developer options may need you to reconnect to initiate the change. It seems to be CODEC and hardware related.

Sep 10, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #4,358 of 5,166
Recently I've purchased L&P W2, Violectric Chronos, Chord Hugo 2. Result: I still like LG V60 the best, order: LG V60, L&P W2, Hugo 2, Chronos
(LG V60: I am using UAPP instead of Neutron. UAPP has a setting that can bypass LG's built-in 3 filter modes, result in a cleanest undistorted sound. I don't like any of the 3 filters. Only UAPP is able to bypass them.)

* LG V60 is the most straight forward, raw and uncolored sounding. Everything sounds correct.
* L&P W2: the high and mids are more refined than LG V60, more realistic. V60 sounds coarse compared to W2. However W2's mid bass is colored, and elevated. and bass extension is not as good as LG V60. So, although LG V60's sound is more coarse than W2, but I still prefer V60 overall. But I will keep W2.
* Hugo 2 and Mojo: Hugo 2 has 4 filter settings, from 1. the most detailed and unmuffled, to 4. the lowest resolution, more colored. filter 4 is closer to Mojo. filter 1 is the best one showing the full potential of Hugo 2. Hugo 2's high and mids refiness is between W2 and LG V60. But it's bass extension is not as good as LG V60, and overall the sound is not uncolored enough, not straight forward enough. So overall I prefer V60.
* Violectric Chronos The sound is nothing wrong, but also nothing special. I didn't spend enough time with it. It feels like a standard sound output from ipod, ipad, old iphone with headphone jack (nothing wrong, just a straight forward implementation)

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #4,359 of 5,166
If you're looking for a new smartphone, I think that P30 PRO from Huawei & Huawei Mobile is a really nice one! This is a fully unsponsored video about the phone a girl has been using, and the only reason I say it is for girls, is the colors, because darn this phone is a looker!

Full comparisons with other flagships, and my personal daily usage notes in the full video review

Sep 19, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #4,361 of 5,166
How is the sound on that S21 ultra?

Sep 19, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #4,362 of 5,166
I apologize to those who have already read my question on other older threads, but I was hoping to have a quick answer to proceed with the purchase of a used V30.
I would like to understand something about Quad Dac and Apple Music.

If I stream from Apple Music (lossless or Hi-Res) on the V30, what will I get out of the onboard headphone jack ?
- android mixer resampled audio bypassing the quad dac
- android mixer resampled audio re-processed by the quad dac
- apple audio processed directly by the Quad Dac bypassing android stack
- the full Hi-res (on the hi-res songs)?

Probably someone using AM with a Vxx could give the answer just checking the last (I think a hi-res song will play only if the Quad DAC is recognized, otherwise the notification of the need for an external dac would come out ... or am I wrong?)

Many thanks for your help.

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #4,363 of 5,166
I apologize to those who have already read my question on other older threads, but I was hoping to have a quick answer to proceed with the purchase of a used V30.
I would like to understand something about Quad Dac and Apple Music.

If I stream from Apple Music (lossless or Hi-Res) on the V30, what will I get out of the onboard headphone jack ?
- android mixer resampled audio bypassing the quad dac
- android mixer resampled audio re-processed by the quad dac
- apple audio processed directly by the Quad Dac bypassing android stack
- the full Hi-res (on the hi-res songs)?

Probably someone using AM with a Vxx could give the answer just checking the last (I think a hi-res song will play only if the Quad DAC is recognized, otherwise the notification of the need for an external dac would come out ... or am I wrong?)

Many thanks for your help.

You can check in neutron app while playing apple music player. In audio hardware section and click on the top section that show how hardware output.

Sep 19, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #4,364 of 5,166
You can check in neutron app while playing apple music player. In audio hardware section and click on the top section that show how hardware output.
Thanks for the reply!
actually i can't try it directly because i haven't bought the phone yet.
but beyond the technical question, if anyone can confirm that Apple Music on V30 with HD650 sounds good, I could buy it anyway.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back