Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 28, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #4,336 of 5,166
I am surprised at how good the Xperia 1 III onboard speakers are! Not sure what is the rotation or battery issue is, it's miles ahead my S10e in terms of responsiveness. Even when running in split screen mode compared to S10e on a single app

UK firmware here

Aug 28, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #4,337 of 5,166
You are surprised that newest flagship phone with better everything that the old one, from other brand is better? :wink:

Aug 28, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #4,339 of 5,166
I hope with this the headphone jack will be a trend in the future,

Google-Pixel-5a-Headphone-Jack-Ad-1050x525.jpg

Aug 28, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #4,341 of 5,166
I hope with this the headphone jack will be a trend in the future,

Google-Pixel-5a-Headphone-Jack-Ad-1050x525.jpg

It is available only in Japan and US. So not a global phone. Maybe Pixel 6 will be a good indicator.

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #4,342 of 5,166
It's actually quite sad that companies have to present the headphone jack as a feature nowadays 😭
that and an expandable storage,

oh, you out of space?
need more space?
too bad, you have to buy a new phone, 😅

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #4,343 of 5,166
It's actually quite sad that companies have to present the headphone jack as a feature nowadays 😭

phone makers are blindly following the 'trend' created by the fruit company. now they realized 'oops'

Sep 1, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #4,345 of 5,166
I hope that is true (the part about realizing “oops”), but I am skeptical as adding it back will add cost…
Sure it adds cost, but not much, unless you do it properly like LG or ROG. I doubt the socket costs more than $0.20.

However it complicates IP water resistance, and I imagine it makes antenna design more complex. Also it gets in the way of the speaker and generall takes up space in what is a compact system.

Sep 2, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #4,346 of 5,166
I decided to pick up a sony wh1000xm2 because there's not a lot noise in my office right now because (the virus). but i have seen mixed review about the sennheiser 4.40BT and ath sr30bt which cost half of the sony. what you guys think ? I am pairing with samsung note 10 (poweramp app).
Since this is the only post I've found mentioning ATH SR30BT I'm gonna post it here.
Honestly those cans are amazing and I am trying not to exaggerate but it's very hard when they cost like 80 bucks.
They sound better than CAL! across the whole range while offering better soundstage. And they are wireless. Amazing. I thought I will just use them on the go in the meantime until I get something better as a replacement for my Plantronics Backbeat Pros which have seen better days. But honestly this it. They do lack premium feel but I can certainly live with that as long as they sound the way they do. :)

Sep 2, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #4,347 of 5,166
Sure it adds cost, but not much, unless you do it properly like LG or ROG. I doubt the socket costs more than $0.20.

However it complicates IP water resistance, and I imagine it makes antenna design more complex. Also it gets in the way of the speaker and generall takes up space in what is a compact system.
Yup, all of that! But also the dac/amp chip and circuitry probably adds more than $0.20…. And the design and validation time / expense…. All in all, I think the headphone jack is not going to come back, except maybe on some specialty phones.

Sep 2, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #4,348 of 5,166
Yup, all of that! But also the dac/amp chip and circuitry probably adds more than $0.20…. And the design and validation time / expense…. All in all, I think the headphone jack is not going to come back, except maybe on some specialty phones.
The DAC and amp are built in to Quallcomm ICs, which is why it is only expensive if they do it properly.

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #4,349 of 5,166
The DAC and amp are built in to Quallcomm ICs, which is why it is only expensive if they do it properly.
I did not know that! I have an older LG v30 and am pretty sure that it has a separate dac/amp chip in it. I incorrectly assumed that all other phones with headphone jacks also had separate DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back