Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 26, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #4,321 of 5,166
I guess everyone really does have different experiences, I love my Xperia 1 ii. The photo pro app is great for taking photos using manual adjustments, the screen colors are more natural and accurate than other phones, the aspect ratio is great for movies and for multi-tasking, and I rarely need to charge it before the end of the day. It's really one of the best smartphones I've ever owned, and I've owned many as I tend to change my phones every year.
I am the biggest Sony fanboy on the planet and I've just sent back the xperia 1 iii 🥺.
So disappointed with this phone , soundwise it was great so rich and deep through the speakers. Screen looked amazing watching Netflix etc.
Camera was different class if you put the time into learning basic photography skills.
BUT the rest of the phone was a mess, So slow to rotate ,battery was crap needed charging three times a day (although this might have settled) software was terrible , basic tasks were like wading through treacle .
Brilliant specs but Sony again have fallen down in the software implementation and for a £1200 pound phone this is not acceptable and so disappointing.

I think I'll be going to the S21 ultra I have had the S20 FE 5g and it's been great.

Aug 26, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #4,322 of 5,166
I am the biggest Sony fanboy on the planet and I've just sent back the xperia 1 iii 🥺.
So disappointed with this phone , soundwise it was great so rich and deep through the speakers. Screen looked amazing watching Netflix etc.
Camera was different class if you put the time into learning basic photography skills.
BUT the rest of the phone was a mess, So slow to rotate ,battery was crap needed charging three times a day (although this might have settled) software was terrible , basic tasks were like wading through treacle .
Brilliant specs but Sony again have fallen down in the software implementation and for a £1200 pound phone this is not acceptable and so disappointing.

I think I'll be going to the S21 ultra I have had the S20 FE 5g and it's been great.
I am using S10 for music - but just for music. And it works great in this terms of use. Use Bixby remaper to set Bixby as play/pause and volume for track changing and you are ready to go :)

Aug 26, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #4,323 of 5,166
The reason of modifying Apple Music Android app is to get bit-perfect signal from it, right? And it is working correctly? Which version it is, and is it possible to get updates from Google Store without loosing bit-perfect capabilities, or should it be done manually for each new version (till adding bit-perfect option to the app by Apple)?

Edit:
Oh, this is the old one post :wink: Any possibilities to enable bit-perfect on the most recent app?
It is for vivo nex to use hifi chip while playing apple music songs. Other mobile phones like lg do not need any such thing. Just enable the hifi mode and all the applications will use it.

Aug 26, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #4,324 of 5,166
I think I'll be going to the S21 ultra
Go for it. This phone is incredible, I'm so happy with my purchase. I imported it from HK and saved nearly £330 over the UK 512GB version, also a bonus getting the snapdragon version. I've had no overheating issues, the phone is super quick, looks great, battery life is really good which was the main reason I chose it over the Xperia. I get at least a days worth out of it and my SOT is always at least 8 hours with the highest resolution and 120hz, it's great.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #4,325 of 5,166

You say the speakers were rich and deep. how was the headphone socket, compared to...?

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #4,326 of 5,166
You say the speakers were rich and deep. how was the headphone socket, compared to...?
I never noticed a big leap in sound quality compared to Bluetooth. I tried it using Ibasso iems and it sounded good but not mind blowing.
Certainly not as good as my A&K sr15.
So if the sound is a big selling point I still don't think it justifies the price tag.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #4,327 of 5,166
Go for it. This phone is incredible, I'm so happy with my purchase. I imported it from HK and saved nearly £330 over the UK 512GB version, also a bonus getting the snapdragon version. I've had no overheating issues, the phone is super quick, looks great, battery life is really good which was the main reason I chose it over the Xperia. I get at least a days worth out of it and my SOT is always at least 8 hours with the highest resolution and 120hz, it's great.
And soundwise ?

Aug 27, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #4,328 of 5,166
The reason of modifying Apple Music Android app is to get bit-perfect signal from it, right? And it is working correctly? Which version it is, and is it possible to get updates from Google Store without loosing bit-perfect capabilities, or should it be done manually for each new version (till adding bit-perfect option to the app by Apple)?

Edit:
Oh, this is the old one post :wink: Any possibilities to enable bit-perfect on the most recent app?

Bit perfect or not depend on what phone you are using. The hardware section. If it is LG, old vivo, old meizu. It will work on most app already.

Offline: neutron, hiby, uapp (for tidal)

Online spotify

Apple music... I think no way now on smartphone. Only way to get pure hifi is iOS and good android DAP can bypass.

Aug 27, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #4,329 of 5,166
Bit perfect or not depend on what phone you are using. The hardware section. If it is LG, old vivo, old meizu. It will work on most app already.

Online spotify

Apple music... I think no way now on smartphone. Only way to get pure hifi is iOS and good android DAP can bypass.
you could get bit perfect on spotify ?
how ?

Aug 27, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #4,330 of 5,166
you could get bit perfect on spotify ?
how ?
Vivo has HiFi option to toggle for spotify.

Old meizu also. Mixer path shows.

Phone nowaday no one does anymore.

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #4,331 of 5,166

Online spotify

Does bit-perfect mean hifi mode on? On lg handsets, hifi mode can be turned on all applications, right?

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #4,332 of 5,166
Does bit-perfect mean hifi mode on? On lg handsets, hifi mode can be turned on all applications, right?

Not sure with LG. Long time I use now.

It can be checked via neutron app while playing spotify > if you click into audio hardware and bit/frequency section. It will show out if it is 44.1 or 48.

By the way, if you cannot click it, most likely, it is not bit perfect.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #4,333 of 5,166

Xperia III you mean? I preordered it but when I saw a demo in the store I canceled the preorder. Didn’t like the form factor and yes the screen rotation is annoying. I tested out the HP jack with z1r, Nothing special.

Aug 27, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #4,335 of 5,166

Have received my Xperia 1 MK3 3 days ago.
By now, I like it very much.

While it doesn't have the "power" like my V30, the timbre of the Dac out of the jack sounds great. In comparison to the somewhat brighter Ess dac
Reminds me a bit of my Mojo. :)

Paired with the FD1 or FD5 it smooths the highs of these iems a bit, which is a nice benefit for me.

The speakers of the 1 MK3, especially with Dolby Atmos enabled, are amazing compared to the V30, but y'all know how bad the speaker of the V30 is, i think. :wink:

For my larger hands the form factor is pretty suitable, but I've to agree to the point that it is special in the today's market.

As an owner of Sony's Alpha 6400, i really like the camera of the 1MK3 quite a bit.

I've to explore all the settings of the 1MK3 in the next days, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back