Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 24, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #4,291 of 5,166
So, if no 5g mobile phone with native dsd support gets released, you will be going for DAP rather than external dac/amp combo? Which would be the cheapest DAP having better sound quality for native dsd playback when compared with vivo nex?

The question is do you need 5G? For me I am good to go without 5G for next 5 years. The only practical advantage I can think of is lower latency while playing online games. I don't do that. For native DSD playback I have some stellar phones like LG V30+ & Vivo NEX. As a fallback I have a pair of each of them. They are good to go for next 5 years.

After 5 years, I do not know ... the smartphone industry is drastically changing each year with new set of features and omissions. Let's hope for the best.

Aug 24, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #4,292 of 5,166
Will rooting a phone device having dac which supports native dsd playback make the phone to be able to utilize that capability?

Most probably not. I have never heard of such.

If it is possible, then I will buy rog 5 a bit early and continue using nex/lg for dsd listening. Just before switching to another mobile phone will root rog 5 and use rog 5 for dsd listening.

If you fancy ROG5, gun for it. However the phone is not my cup of tea.

Most importantly when it come to audio through audio jack, does not improve upon LG G8X or a LG V30+.

Aug 24, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #4,294 of 5,166
Anyone who has the rog 5 is there a high gain mode. Like on the LG series if so what ohm must we be at to get it.
87478E06-5A6A-44AA-B108-0DAF540862BD.jpeg

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #4,296 of 5,166
Then we can use cable extender to trigger high gain, I believe.

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #4,297 of 5,166
So yes but no hard number like with LG was on 50ohm would trigger high gain.
I’m guessing it would be the same, haven’t tried it though since I don’t have any headphones above 50ohm.
D7DD876B-8446-4372-A36C-464384211119.png

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #4,298 of 5,166
I’m guessing it would be the same, haven’t tried it though since I don’t have any headphones above 50ohm.

D7DD876B-8446-4372-A36C-464384211119.png
Is there something we could do to trigger the high gain without any adapter?
maybe some ADB command or something,

it could make a different is sound quality,
maybe it would sounds better with no power restriction,

do you have any DAP to compare the sound quality vs ROG 5 ?

I only have a cheap Hiby R2,

Aug 25, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #4,299 of 5,166
I'm not sure about that. Most dongles and DAPs are not that good. I reckon the Quad DAC LG phones beat most of them. The ROG 5 might also (I haven't seen any measurements yet).
Besides, this thread has "best smartphone" in the title, not "best dongle."
Anydongle made by ibasso, shanling, astel Kern, lotoo will blow away the rog like it's not even comparable. Test things before stating something so very wrong in almost every way.
And let's not ven talk daps any mid tier dap destroys any phone(unless dap is made by fiio) even low end ones nowadays are far superior to phones.

Aug 25, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #4,300 of 5,166
As i wrote in my "ROG5 First impressions review', i used the detachable cable of my V-Moda Crossfade to enable high gain mode and It worked but i also noticed different sound issues, so i haven't tried no more. Now i would put my 55 ohms Fostex on ROG5 jack port. They have detachable cable too.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #4,301 of 5,166
Most probably not. I have never heard of such.

If you fancy ROG5, gun for it. However the phone is not my cup of tea.

Most importantly when it come to audio through audio jack, does not improve upon LG G8X or a LG V30+.
By technical sheet the Sabre ES9280AC Pro itself seems to support native DSD512 via USB, so i think it's just an implementation(?)/android 11 limitation. What do you think About that?

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #4,302 of 5,166
Is there something we could do to trigger the high gain without any adapter?
maybe some ADB command or something,

it could make a different is sound quality,
maybe it would sounds better with no power restriction,

do you have any DAP to compare the sound quality vs ROG 5 ?

I only have a cheap Hiby R2,
You can root and modify the mixer path files to practically change everything related to sound of your device. And if you stay on Android 10 then there are competent mods like Narsil and jdsp that simplify the process.

Doubt there would be a simple adb command for such a feature. But never say never when with Android.

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #4,303 of 5,166
Will rooting a phone device having dac which supports native dsd playback make the phone to be able to utilize that capability? If it is possible, then I will buy rog 5 a bit early and continue using nex/lg for dsd listening. Just before switching to another mobile phone will root rog 5 and use rog 5 for dsd listening.
Well you can root and do everything as long as it is blocked at software level. If there are hardware limitations then unfortunately there's nothing one can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back