Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jun 9, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #4,096 of 5,166
Is there any budget IEMs that would fit this device? I'm thinking in the 100-150 euros range.

Guess i could buy an adapter so i can use the 2.5mm output. Still odd that it makes a difference.
You're not limited to the BTR5.
There're similar devices out there.

EarStudio ES100 = direct competitor
FiiO BTR3
Shanling UP4 (no hi-res usb dac)

I'm using it with the Fiio FD5.
Benefit of the FD5, despite the great sound, is the cable with interchangeable plugs (3.5; 2.5; 4.4).
That makes the iem more versatile.

Sadly there's no way to buy this cable separately, atm.

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #4,097 of 5,166
You're not limited to the BTR5.
There're similar devices out there.

EarStudio ES100 = direct competitor
FiiO BTR3
Shanling UP4 (no hi-res usb dac)

I'm using it with the Fiio FD5.
Benefit of the FD5, despite the great sound, is the cable with interchangeable plugs (3.5; 2.5; 4.4).
That makes the iem more versatile.

Sadly there's no way to buy this cable separately, atm.
Fiio lc re

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #4,098 of 5,166
You cannot buy 3.5 female to 2.5 mm male adapter. It will ruin the stuff.

You need to understand balanced vs single end first.

Buy the iem that can change cable or have an 2.5 mm option to choose.

Such as shure 215 would be good starter.

Or ve bie pro also good performance in half of your budget. So you can buy bluetooth dac/amp or usb c dac amp

US $69.80 | Venture Electronics VE BIE pro in ear Earphones HIFI
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mK2GNUV

So if i want to plug my Sennheiser H600 i need a balanced cable. That's... a bit disappointing.

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #4,099 of 5,166
So if i want to plug my Sennheiser H600 i need a balanced cable. That's... a bit disappointing.
That's how technology works. Blame Astell and Kern that make it happen. lol.

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #4,101 of 5,166
Jun 9, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #4,102 of 5,166
Ime, the BTR5 is able to drive the HD600 well, but not to that level of desktop amp, obviously. :wink:

It could drive the T1.2 to listenable levels on the 3.5 output, though.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #4,104 of 5,166
How is the sound on Nokia 8.3?
Got a V60 recently to replace a V20 and I'm kind of disappointed. Previously had a V50 and sold it to go back to V20. Now the V60 seems even worse than the V50. The sound compared to V20 is a noticeable downgrade, flat, sharp and tiring. Also the Equalizer and DSP is pure crap compared to Viper4Android and JamesDSP I had on my rooted V20, no root possible on v60. No removable battery, the screen while is a lot bigger than V20 is narrow and tall which makes it crap for any media content and the final straw is the fingerprint sensor, What? The back sensor on V20 was in a natural position and worked flawless every single time, the behind screen on V60 is garbage, awkward position and doesn't work 3 out of 5 times, not to mention if you have slight moisture on your fingers you can forget about it, such a downgrade in user experience and usability form the V20. I see that the Nokia 8.3 has a side fingerprint sensor and headphone jack, if the sound is decent I might give that a try.
I have a v60 as well and have your exact gripes. I got it for cheap and thinking of replacing it, but most phones removed headphone jack and or microsd card. The only respectable alternative is the sony xperia 1 ii, but it's $700 used.

We're in a sad unbelievable time in history where cell phone prices are skyrocketing while reducing specs.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #4,105 of 5,166
Fiio lc re not available in my country. Can be bought from China for 200+ euros. Meh, this is starting to get a bit aggravating. Cheapest balanced cables i can find for either the Sennheiser HD 600 or any IEM is around 50 euros. Was looking at the FD1 but having to replace the cable exceed what i have right now. I can buy the BTR5 and the FD1 right now but i'd have to wait at the end of the month before i can get some more cash to get a new cable. Man i hate being broke.

Of course, as i'm reading up on this i wonder if i actually need a balanced cable for any IEM, especially something as economic as the FD1 or the Shure 215. Seems like the biggest advantage would be more juice in the output which would matter mostly for the HD 600. Or maybe i'm just talking myself into saving money.
I have a v60 as well and have your exact gripes. I got it for cheap and thinking of replacing it, but most phones removed headphone jack and or microsd card. The only respectable alternative is the sony xperia 1 ii, but it's $700 used.

We're in a sad unbelievable time in history where cell phone prices are skyrocketing while reducing specs.

I'm surprised the V60 sounds worst than the V20. Would about the G8X?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #4,106 of 5,166
For iems like FD1, you don't have to worry about going balanced on the BTR5, ime.
The difference in sound quality shows up with higher sensitive and/or lower resistant iems/headphones only, ime.
Driving this pairing right now and it sounds great.
Sure, it sounds even better with the Mojo, but that's another tier and story. ^^

I'd advice to buy the BTR5 and throw the HD600 to it, if your budget is tight.
Depending on your other amps/souces, you wouldn't be disappointed, i think. :)
It's more powerful than everything in the same tier and size.

You'll have nothing to lose, except some cash. :smile:

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #4,107 of 5,166
Interesting. V60 has 9219. Custom 9218 for LG. I am not 100% sure but supposedly a cut down 9218 with less user features. My only point of reference for ljnew, here and opus is V20 sounds great, be battery swap, has a little more default bass and most models have root so customization across the board, not just audio. V20 B&O tuned and the Pair of G8Xs I picked up recently are Meridian tuned. It's flatter than V20 and probably a dB or two more volume if not a full 3dB. The G8X also has bootloader unlock and root, though I unsuccessfully tried. My fingerprint scanner would not work when I tried flashing. The G8X loses with the battery swap but makes up for it with awesome battery life. I've been getting 8-11 SOT over 48-72h, and that's using line out to my NX4. My FP sensor works great as I think V60 and G8X use same sensor. I've had to my right thumb on both G8Xs twice as my left thumb is the dominate unlock finger. It even unlcoks well with slightly wet fingers. After figuring out the camera was fine on the G8X ( I believe the computational photography is less aggressive) the 3 major reasons I went with G8X instead of V60 was size/weight (60 is tall, heavy and slim), no unlocked US version (could only find EU unlocked for ~$2000 USD new) and the G8X also had the compelling form factor of flat back. No camera hump whatsoever. I use my dedicated G8X dap around the house caseless (after ceramic coat of course) so now I have a badass dap with cameras.

I know some people might be hung up on a V series as was I, the V series was advertised slightly different ( what little advertising there was) but you're basically missing out on a 64MP camera and 1000 less maH battery. I could was lyrical but I will wind it down. If you want to spice it up and some of you missing the FP sensor on the back you can still find TMobile and unlocked G8 with 6.1" screen and the hand remote gestures from the big unibrow sensor might come in handy for media controls. I don't think there are any dual screens of G8X or V60 left, but G8X and G8 can be had for $300 USD new and cheaper used. Solid options if used as dedicated DAP and no 5G needed. I might sell my V20 soon. Only downside is my USB is worn out so mobile USB out isn't ideal.

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #4,108 of 5,166
For iems like FD1, you don't have to worry about going balanced on the BTR5, ime.
The difference in sound quality shows up with higher sensitive and/or lower resistant iems/headphones only, ime.
Driving this pairing right now and it sounds great.
Sure, it sounds even better with the Mojo, but that's another tier and story. ^^

I'd advice to buy the BTR5 and throw the HD600 to it, if your budget is tight.
Depending on your other amps/souces, you wouldn't be disappointed, i think. :)
It's more powerful than everything in the same tier and size.

You'll have nothing to lose, except some cash. :smile:

Just had a thought, but what if i plug the BTR5 to my Schiit Vali out of the 3.5mm output?

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #4,109 of 5,166
Fiio lc re not available in my country. Can be bought from China for 200+ euros. Meh, this is starting to get a bit aggravating. Cheapest balanced cables i can find for either the Sennheiser HD 600 or any IEM is around 50 euros. Was looking at the FD1 but having to replace the cable exceed what i have right now. I can buy the BTR5 and the FD1 right now but i'd have to wait at the end of the month before i can get some more cash to get a new cable. Man i hate being broke.

Of course, as i'm reading up on this i wonder if i actually need a balanced cable for any IEM, especially something as economic as the FD1 or the Shure 215. Seems like the biggest advantage would be more juice in the output which would matter mostly for the HD 600. Or maybe i'm just talking myself into saving money.

I'm surprised the V60 sounds worst than the V20. Would about the G8X?
Not sure what your requirements are for FD1 cables but you can an excellent quality cable from Faaeal for $12-13 in the coming sale or $17 usually. Faaeal Litz cable is excellent in terms of performance and looks decent as well. You can visit Hakuzen's thread to learn more about them. It's available in 2.5/3.5/4.4mm jacks and 2-pin/MMCX terminations. On AliExpress, you can search Faaeal Litz cable.

Similarly, Nicehck cables are also cheap and measure good. It has many options and you can pick the one you like for as little as $8

Jun 10, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #4,110 of 5,166
Just had a thought, but what if i plug the BTR5 to my Schiit Vali out of the 3.5mm output?
It's quite possible.
But you'be to keep in mind that it doesn't have a line-out.
On volume level 55 out of 60, the BTR5 has ~ 1.7v while a line-out, usually, is ~ 2.0v.
Therefore you've to set the Vali to a bit higher volume level.
But i've never hook the BTR5 to an external amp, so it's just guessing on my side. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back