Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jan 20, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #3,841 of 5,168
thank you. about hiby - for what i know it doesn't support on phone bit perfect playing. you need to have external usb device

Yes that's correct or you can use a DAC/Amp and then it will play audio files bit perfect.

Jan 24, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #3,843 of 5,168
Don't know if this has been talked about. What is everyone thinking about lg leaving the smart phone market. Time to buy some old lgs for backup

Or any smartphone in your budget with a Sabre DAC powered dongle/Fiio BTR5. Because for whatever it was/is, a smartphone is supposed a much more than a DAP. Purchasing another DAP is an option but honestly, most of the flagship/mid-flagship smartphones are capable enough to compete with budget DAPs so purchasing a DAP seems redundant in my humble opinion. Also, if you are sticking with Android then there are multitudes of permutations and combinations to get your desired audio output. Even LG sensed that and are precisely why are moving away from smartphone business. Although, you may think otherwise but that's my humble opinion. :)

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #3,844 of 5,168
Don't know if this has been talked about. What is everyone thinking about lg leaving the smart phone market. Time to buy some old lgs for backup
it would depend on your needs , they are quite personal

portable audio is improving fast but not lightspeed fast
I expect v40/v50 to be quite good players still in 1 or 2 years , they are relatively cheap.. and work very well as mobiles too :thinking: . just saying . Who doesnt need a backup phone , or a II at a point

I would grab one if I didnt have one already .
The Qudelix 5k which is supposely the most advanced cheap dongle selling at moment has some advantages ( PEQ a big one ) ,
you can equalize them similarly though and would hear that sound qualities are not practically distant

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #3,845 of 5,168
Update
After more listening, I found out V60 has sibilant issue, in the area of cymbal and snare wire (but not in the vocal area). After long time, V60 is quite fatiguing and almost un-listenable. Not sure this is the same for all V60, or just my unit, or my version (US Cellular).

Update
Found out if I make sure the phone detected my IEM as 'normal device', then there is no sibilant issue, the sound is perfectly fabulous.
So, I need to use 'Hi-Fi Status(LG)' app to check the jack status, very often the phone detected my IEM as 'external' device.

Initial Impressions LG V60 vs. LG V30

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #3,846 of 5,168
the v40/v50 ( Meridian tuning ) are an incredible value , there is no dubt.

I'm running Fiio Q5s TC as usb dac/amp from the v40 ; the Q5s carry a different dac chip and a much bigger circuitery around it , offers more balance more balanced power use more dynamics more body in bass more precise positioning and layering less shrillness etc it feels quite a bit more hiend soundwise . But even switching in Hiby music feed from v40 > to Q5s TC ( un-balanced out , but bit perfect ) , and comparing a similarly equalized frequence , they share similarities .

I'm often surprised on the switch between the two . The v40 lacks in almost every area the more precise characters and competence of Q5s TC , but it nearly stands a comparison .
And the Q5s TC feels quite a portable hiend

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #3,847 of 5,168
Update
After more listening, I found out V60 has sibilant issue, in the area of cymbal and snare wire (but not in the vocal area). After long time, V60 is quite fatiguing and almost unlistenable. Not sure this is the same for all V60, or just my unit, or my version (US Cellular).

Although V60's sound compared to V30 (and other sabre based dacs I have used) are more 'energetic', better bass, and feeling of more 'focused'. However the sharp focused energy in highs created sibilant issue.
I found both V40 and G7 are sibilant and also harsh and fatiguing between 2 kHz and 4-5 kHz range especially in cymbal using Senn 660s while using the 660s with E10k or laptop jack upper mid is not harsh. So I EQ down a few db on LG to get the harshness away. I am also curious if all V40/V50 are tuned by meridian because my old G7 and new V40 sound pretty much the same.

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #3,848 of 5,168
yes, they are both tuned by Meridian .
The sibilance ( not present with all headphones - but I do not have hd660 ) is quite tunable if you equalize , Hiby music offers extensive tune-ability for clearing sibilances in different frequence ranges , plus equalizer .

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #3,849 of 5,168
yes, they are both tuned by Meridian .
The sibilance ( not present with all headphones - but I do not have hd660 ) is quite tunable if you equalize , Hiby music offers extensive tune-ability for clearing sibilances in different frequence ranges , plus equalizer .
I am using EQ with PowerAmp and 660s sounds great to me. With some EQ I like them more out of LG's quad dac than out of Fiio E10k. I will try Hiby for helping more with sibilance though too. However I always though G7 is not tuned by Meridian because LG didn't directly advertised Meridian tuning for G7.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #3,851 of 5,168
Jan 26, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #3,852 of 5,168
I am using EQ with PowerAmp and 660s sounds great to me. With some EQ I like them more out of LG's quad dac than out of Fiio E10k. I will try Hiby for helping more with sibilance though too. However I always though G7 is not tuned by Meridian because LG didn't directly advertised Meridian tuning for G7.
Hiby music offers extensive and multiple freq. range sibilance-cure option , and audio / sound quality is very high when compared to other commonly used music app ; give it a try .

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #3,853 of 5,168
thinking to get lg v50. the size of the screen fits me, because i want it to be 6.4" or max 6.5". but what i don't like is the fact this phone is very slippery and it's highly recommended to use a silicone case. and i'm not a fan of cases. so now i'm thinking maybe lg phones (after trying lg v40 & lg g8) are just not for me and maybe i should look for some other phone without special dac - but buy a quality dongle instead?

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #3,854 of 5,168
it depends on needs..

if you dont need a phone , and are akin to add another component on portable ( or you want to adavanced bluetooth capablities ) then the qudelix 5k might be a better choice

if you need a phone then lgv50 works quite well / without dongle
I dont consider it very slippery but of course the silicon bumper will land and also grip it better to surfaces
and avoid cracks for unwanted falls too
quite mandatory if I have to say ..

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #3,855 of 5,168
it depends on needs..

if you dont need a phone , and are akin to add another component on portable ( or you want to adavanced bluetooth capablities ) then the qudelix 5k might be a better choice

if you need a phone then lgv50 works quite well / without dongle
I dont consider it very slippery but of course the silicon bumper will land and also grip it better to surfaces
and avoid cracks for unwanted falls too
quite mandatory if I have to say ..

yes i need a phone. i find myself as very caring person but g8 found itself on the floor two times in one day how much i had it for a test. and i think g8 and v50 share the same back glass design

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back