Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Dec 25, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #3,796 of 5,166
I don't know if a smartphone would with the apps being provided by the playstore. UAPP is an exception since it's providing option to go bit-perfect, bypassing the Android system, but it seems any streaming service app do not have a bit-perfect option. It's odd that Tidal doesn't make their app bit-perfect like in Windows.

I think a smartphone/DAP can use an Android platform, but the app has to be made to bypass Android mixer like some of the DAPs that were put out.

I think all streaming services who provide lossless or higher option need to figure out a way to bypass Android resampling. LG phones will bypass the OS for any Tidal track > 44.1. MQA stuff sound great from the native Tidal app. It's the CD quality stuff that get washed up in the OS.

Dec 25, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #3,797 of 5,166
Hi, I have another question. So V40 has the exact sound quality as V50? Because I saw a deal which is 50% cheaper than V50. Is it worth buying? It looks like the screen and camera is also the same as V50 so it looks good with me any opinions on these? Especially on sound comparison with V50?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #3,798 of 5,166
Im also interested in this. Think the consensus seemed to be V40 and 50 are sonically identical? (altho the 40 external speaker actually superior?). But of course the 50 has a much better battery which is not to be sneezed at.

Someone said Euro V50 models are volume capped - is that true? The Korean ones definitely aren't but am told they won't do 5G in Europe (or more specifically Ireland- not sure about other Euro countries or UK)

Dec 25, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #3,799 of 5,166
Yes.
The euro model is capped and turn the volume to 50 out of 75 after some time automatically.
No matter what gain mode is used.

It's all about the sensitivity of the headphone you want to use with.

Dec 27, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #3,801 of 5,166
Well I did a bit of search today out of curiosity. In all regions it seems that some phones are playing louder than others indifferent of the version of phone (LG G7,LG V30/V40 and so on). There are plenty of people who said that their phones are more than capable of driving cans like HD650/HD600 while others said they are still too low volume. I find that some people find the phones too loud at around 40-50/75 and others still quiet at 75/75 (I only mean in high impedance mode of course and I searched especially for these 2 high impedance cans). I can drive my Sennheiser HD 660s with my LG G7 without any EQ settings at an average around 60-65/75 until it becomes too loud for me but I tested it with a pair of HD 600 a few months ago and it was not loud enough at 75/75 on almost all songs I tried (for example at 40-50/75 I barely heard anything. Obviously the high impedance mode was set .Also I tested with Qualcomm Dac too and at max volume what I could hear were basically whispers so the quad dac and amp are working properly ) . The volume with Quad Dac was acceptable at 75/75 but by no means loud. What I want to say is that probably some phones are limited by some software settings in using the full amp power (probably capped at around 1.3-1.5 Vrms instead of 2 at what I guess) and it can be resolved by rooting(I will root probably the G7 next year). Sorry for my noob analysis but I'm not pro and didn't do technical tests of my LG output power because I don't have professional equipment to test the output but wanted to share my suspicions on volume. Or maybe I'm wrong and the perception of the loudness of sound is so different between peoples and there aren't many differences in amping power between phones .

Dec 27, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #3,802 of 5,166
Well I did a bit of search today out of curiosity. In all regions it seems that some phones are playing louder than others indifferent of the version of phone (LG G7,LG V30/V40 and so on). There are plenty of people who said that their phones are more than capable of driving cans like HD650/HD600 while others said they are still too low volume. I find that some people find the phones too loud at around 40-50/75 and others still quiet at 75/75 (I only mean in high impedance mode of course and I searched especially for these 2 high impedance cans). I can drive my Sennheiser HD 660s with my LG G7 without any EQ settings at an average around 60-65/75 until it becomes too loud for me but I tested it with a pair of HD 600 a few months ago and it was not loud enough at 75/75 on almost all songs I tried (for example at 40-50/75 I barely heard anything. Obviously the high impedance mode was set .Also I tested with Qualcomm Dac too and at max volume what I could hear were basically whispers so the quad dac and amp are working properly ) . The volume with Quad Dac was acceptable at 75/75 but by no means loud. What I want to say is that probably some phones are limited by some software settings in using the full amp power (probably capped at around 1.3-1.5 Vrms instead of 2 at what I guess) and it can be resolved by rooting(I will root probably the G7 next year). Sorry for my noob analysis but I'm not pro and didn't do technical tests of my LG output power because I don't have professional equipment to test the output but wanted to share my suspicions on volume. Or maybe I'm wrong and the perception of the loudness of sound is so different between peoples and there aren't many differences in amping power between phones .
Yes, loudness perceptions are quite different from one to another.

But there's another important thing to consider.
The HD 600 has a sensitivity of 97db/1kHz/ 1V rms.
The HD 660s has 104db/1kHz/ 1V rms.

For my listening habits, the volume with the T1.2 (600ohm leveled/ 104db/1V rms) is fairly . . . . listenable, but not that enjoyable, i've to say.

Tried the MrSpeaker Ether 2 (16ohm) with my V30 in HIM and the volume output was a bit lower than with the T1.2.
Sadly there aren't any information about the sensitivity of the E2 out there. :frowning2:

As you see, sensitivity of a headphone has a hugh impact on volume output.

Dec 27, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #3,803 of 5,166
So 7db difference is quite significant. At 2V rms maximum output is 103 db for HD 600. I guess considering a lot of flac/mp3 files are quieter it's ok to assume that a LG phone can not play very loud a HD 600 at least for someone who likes to listen loudly. So below 100 dB/V SPL sensitivity a 2V rms amp is not enough for headphones anymore.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #3,804 of 5,166
Didn't listen to the HD600 to date, but i guess so.
It depends on what you're used to listen to, i think.
If you don't know how a HD600 would sound out of a proper amp and listen at low volume normally, it could be enough for your needs.

Your statement about 2Vrms isn't true as said.
For example, my V30 on HIM could drive my Era-1 to ear bleeding level. :wink:
And like i said, it depends on your listening preferences.
For me, 75 to 80 db is still enough. (measured with an app) :hear_no_evil:
So i'd be fine with the output on a HD 600, i guess.
But, and that's a big one, the HD 600 deserves an amp with higher voltage swing to sound as intended.
Same with the Era-1, which needs higher current to really shine, ime.

For a "Dap" the LG Phones amping is good to go in such a small enclosure, but never replaces a serious amp with such headphones.

On the other side, who'll use an open back headphone outside? :)
There're a lot of great sounding and suitable headphones for this use case out there.

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #3,805 of 5,166
Hello I would like to take a player to take advantage of my headphones I have some Alessandro ms-2e and some Hifiman 400i 2020 edition I'm undecided whether to spend more and get a Hibys z6 pro or fiio m11 pro .. or spend less and get a Lg, v40 / 50 or G8 I would still use it for music only and not as a phone advice? thanks

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #3,806 of 5,166
I'm not sure has this been discussed yet but I'd appreciate an answer.

Is there a way to disable charging of the external amp-dac when connected to a phone via USB?
LG V50 here

I'm interested in software solution in Android or maybe cable with disabled charging. Is such cable available to buy or has to be modified?

Dec 29, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #3,807 of 5,166
If someone is interested, I actually bought a V40 instead a V50 because it was 250 $ cheaper. In terms on headphones sound quality is completely the same as G7. No complains here still as gorgeous sound for a phone but I was a bit surprised , because Meridian tuning should be at least a bit warmer than B&O or LG own tuning from what i've read. After all LG G7 may had the dac tuned by Meridian too?.

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #3,808 of 5,166
I wanna get new phone but I'm little confused. I have Oneplus 5 and it's so bad for music. I wanna get something with DAC and good cam as possible as. Other things I care are batter life and stable rom of course. Hope someone can help me. I was looking for Pocophone F2 Pro but I guess camera hasn't enoug cool.

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #3,809 of 5,166
Get a V50 and be happy all your needs are fulfilled. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back