Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Oct 5, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #3,737 of 5,168
Would you happen to know how this compares to LG V60's ES9219 chip?
I can't compare it to V60 since I dont have one,but I think ES9219 is like its predecessor ES9218p which way deliver more output to power up those high impedance headphones.sounds cleaner and better treble detail.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #3,738 of 5,168
I can't compare it to V60 since I dont have one,but I think ES9219 is like its predecessor ES9218p which way deliver more output to power up those high impedance headphones.sounds cleaner and better treble detail.
I suspect that it wouldn't be as capable as the ESS chip. Hopefully there will be side-by-side comparison sometime in the future. Thanks.

Oct 5, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #3,739 of 5,168
For music, the de-facto standard for Android is PCM. 95% of all audio file formats you use be in FLAC, MP3, WAV, APE, ... are all PCM. In Vivo smartphones the HiFi logo pops-up in notification bar when it recognizes a PCM file format and sends the PCM digital audio data straight to in-built HiRes audio chip.

There is another rarely used high fidelity audio format in smartphones, named DSD. Audio files of DSD type are of DSF & DFF formats. There are some top-tier HiFi audio chips found in some smartphones like Vivo NEX S which supports hardware decoding of DSD in the chip itself. These audio chips can process unconverted/un-adulterated DSD streams in its purest form to achieve highest audio fidelity possible. In other words, they can perform native DSD playback.

However transporting this huge amount of DSD audio data through Android to the audio chip is a challenge by itself. Also Android is not too kind to DSD. So what Vivo's default music player does is "DSD over PCM" (DoP) containerisation, which is sending "native" DSD in containerized form. In DoP, the DSD data isn't altered or changed in anyway, its pure. In short, DoP is a PCM container of raw DSD stream.

The DoP compatible music players (Vivo default music player/ UAPP) are actually converting the very high frequency binary digits of the DSD file (stored in phone memory as DSF/DFF file formats) on real-time to a continuous encoded PCM stream and sending it straight to the DoP compatible inbuilt audio chip.

The advantage of DoP is the "extra processing" required for this PCM containerization by music players are negligible. The downside of DoP protocol is it requires markers during DoP encoding to identify the signal as DSD by the audio chip, so using this protocol requires double the bandwidth compared to the native DSD signal alone. This reduces the maximum DSD frequency that can be used with DAC by half. This may explain why a DSD256 stream capable DAC can stop at DSD128. If we think of DoP from PCM perspective in which it is transmitted from audio player to the audio chip, below are the requirements:

1) DSD64 requires a 176.4kHz PCM package
2) DSD128 requires a 352.8kHz PCM package
3) DSD256 requires a 705.6kHz PCM package

When Vivo NEX S audio chip recognizes DoP data is sent, i.e. in native DSD format, it opens the DoP container and starts hardware decoding of raw DSD streams inside it. Now the DSD logo pops-up in the notification bar instead of normal HiFi logo.

For your Vivo X50 Pro, the in-built audio chip does not support DSD format. So, what is happening is that the default Vivo music player is software decoding the DSD audio data to PCM data (which results in some loss in audio quality but still great) and then sends the DSD to PCM converted PCM data to the audio chip. The audio chip in your X50 Pro knows nothing from where the data originates from DSD or PCM.

However it is good to know you are enjoying the X50 Pro so much. Enjoy.:ksc75smile:

Thank you so much for the huge info on this! I've really learnt a lot from this. Thank you! I'm enjoying my songs on my vivo x50 pro a lot and it shows! I put the technicality aside and just enjoy for what I have and appreciated it all the way through. Thanks again! 😁

Oct 9, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #3,740 of 5,168
Hi, maybe you already talk about it, but I can’t read all this pages. Which smartphones are the best for audio quality? I need to change my LG v50, i use LG phones since LG v20 and I want to change. I use headphones Bluetooth everyday for running, so I need something good and powerful.

Oct 9, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #3,741 of 5,168
Thank you so much for the huge info on this! I've really learnt a lot from this. Thank you! I'm enjoying my songs on my vivo x50 pro a lot and it shows! I put the technicality aside and just enjoy for what I have and appreciated it all the way through. Thanks again! 😁

With all my years of music listening and being an avid music lover, I have understood sound quality is subjective and varies from person to person. Personal preferences like inclination to a certain sound signature leads a big way of how the person perceives the final sound quality of an audio product and how he rates it good or bad over another audio product. Also there is the pairing with his/ her existing headphones and how he/she perceives the final sound is very important.

Our human head can also be misleading sometimes. Suppose you are accustomed listening to Vivo X5Max which is tuned for fast paced but slightly suppressed bass, tight and kinda dry vocal region for excellent treble response then your head gets tuned with the excellent detail retrieval capabilities on the phone. Suddenly you get hold of Vivo NEX S and pair with your same headphone and BAAM!!! Bloated bass, thick mids and no details in the treble region. Listen with NEX S for a week with no X5Max in between, and you head gets re-tuned. Now NEX S signature sound like having solid bass, rich vocals and great details in the treble region. Again going the opposite way from NEX S to X5Max, and BAAM!!! X5Max signature now sounds like non-existent bass, thin vocals and ear piercing highs. Season your ears for a week with X5Max with no NEX S in between and suddenly one day it sounds just right. All this phenomenon is happening in our head as we are treating the sound signature subjectively and our ears and head is getting accustomed with the sound signature.

In the end if you are happy with the sound quality of your X50Pro, nothing else matters. Enjoy.:gs1000smile:

Oct 9, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #3,742 of 5,168
With all my years of music listening and being an avid music lover, I have understood sound quality is subjective and varies from person to person. Personal preferences like inclination to a certain sound signature leads a big way of how the person perceives the final sound quality of an audio product and how he rates it good or bad over another audio product. Also there is the pairing with his/ her existing headphones and how he/she perceives the final sound is very important.

Our human head can also be misleading sometimes. Suppose you are accustomed listening to Vivo X5Max which is tuned for fast paced but slightly suppressed bass, tight and kinda dry vocal region for excellent treble response then your head gets tuned with the excellent detail retrieval capabilities on the phone. Suddenly you get hold of Vivo NEX S and pair with your same headphone and BAAM!!! Bloated bass, thick mids and no details in the treble region. Listen with NEX S for a week with no X5Max in between, and you head gets re-tuned. Now NEX S signature sound like having solid bass, rich vocals and great details in the treble region. Again going the opposite way from NEX S to X5Max, and BAAM!!! X5Max signature now sounds like non-existent bass, thin vocals and ear piercing highs. Season your ears for a week with X5Max with no NEX S in between and suddenly one day it sounds just right. All this phenomenon is happening in our head as we are treating the sound signature subjectively and our ears and head is getting accustomed with the sound signature.

In the end if you are happy with the sound quality of your X50Pro, nothing else matters. Enjoy.:gs1000smile:

Amazing describing capabilities. I want to say the same thing but I cannot write like you do. Great post. After having listened tons of DSDs on my xplay6 I am sudenly liking it and now I rate it very close to my xpla5s.

Oct 9, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #3,743 of 5,168
Exactly the same thing with Xplay 5S / Listen Pro and Xplay 6 / Elegia.

But i keep in mind what they are capable of , so i know i must be patient and wait couple of days to get re-used to the sound tuning / synergy when i switch between them.

I know that when i'm tired , i have more difficulties to appreciate Xplay 5S / Listen Pro than Xplay 6 / Elegia because details need focus to be heard.

While i like 5S and 6 the same , those 2 synergys made me think about the perfect headphone that suit my taste.
Basically the Elegia (physically , its big earcup play a role in the soundstage) with its 3D soundstage and Listen Pro 's extrem transparency and width.

And while dreaming ... if Xplay 7 there is , if we could have Nex S battery life and the opportunity to switch between 5S , 6 and Nex S audio tuning , i think that would be really sick !

Oct 12, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #3,744 of 5,168
(Text translated from Portuguese to English)

Help, I need help I'm already going crazy.

I've been researching a music player for my car stereo for months now, and I can't seem to come to a conclusion.

Someone around here would know how to sort (a ranking) with these phones from the best to the worst (to connect to a car amplifier):

LG V20
LG V30
HTC 8
HTC 9
HTC 10
XPERIA Z3
XPERIA ZX
XPERIA ZX1
MOTOROLA MOTO G5 / G6 / G7 / Plus
Lenovo Vibe k6
Galaxy S8 Plus
Galaxy Note 8 Plus
Galaxy S9 Plus
Galaxy Note 9

Other cell phones like Vivo, Meizu and I don't have access or they are very expensive, I live in Brazil

I will try to explain conflicts:
In this article from the link below, made by Steve Litchfield give the Xperia XZ1 maximum marks in audio quality, and as for the site Gsmarena.com it only does
a reasonable mention of it.
http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/23441_Smartphone_wired_audio_and_DAC.php

The website (gsmarena) says that the HTC 9 is the BEST smartphone of all that has been there, much better than the V20.
others also claim to be inferior, as it is very '' analytical '' and less musical compared to the HTC 9/10. But in other places, they say that the V20
it is much better in every way.

I saw mentions about the XPERIA Z3 is very, very good for audio, as Gmsarena says it is bad.

I am getting crazy! And who do I believe? Is the Gsmarena test reliable for audio fidelity? Recently they claim that any smartphone from 2019 already has excellent / perfect quality for audio, even they do not perform further tests for this reason.

While my real experiences (in my car), I can say that the MOTO G7 Power surpassed well an Iphone 6s Plus and a Galaxy S7. Perhaps the MOTO G7 Plus is even better.

Another question, does anyone know the quality of Chinese / Aliexpress bluetooth audio receivers? Are they better than a good Smartphone for audio?

Below are some examples.

https://en.aliexpress.com/item/3297...id=0bb0623116025216823452212eee65&ws_ab_test= searchweb0_0, searchweb201602_, searchweb201603_

https://en.aliexpress.com/item/3300...id=0bb0623116025216823452212eee65&ws_ab_test= searchweb0_0, searchweb201602_, searchweb201603_

https://en.aliexpress.com/item/4001...o_expid=2899a810b-ca683-409 -64d559023eb2- 4 & btsid = 0bb0623116025216823452212eee65 & ws_ab_test = searchweb0_0, searchweb201602_, searchweb201602_, searchweb201602_, searchweb201603_

https://en.aliexpress.com/item/3277...id=0bb0623116025216823452212eee65&ws_ab_test= searchweb0_0, searchweb201602_, searchweb201603_

I was unable to CREATE A New Article, I am new here.
If anyone can help me get this topic to the right place ...

Enviar feedback

Histórico

Salvas

Comunidade

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #3,745 of 5,168
(Text translated from Portuguese to English)

Help, I need help I'm already going crazy.

I've been researching a music player for my car stereo for months now, and I can't seem to come to a conclusion.

Someone around here would know how to sort (a ranking) with these phones from the best to the worst (to connect to a car amplifier):

LG V20
LG V30
HTC 8
HTC 9
HTC 10
XPERIA Z3
XPERIA ZX
XPERIA ZX1
MOTOROLA MOTO G5 / G6 / G7 / Plus
Lenovo Vibe k6
Galaxy S8 Plus
Galaxy Note 8 Plus
Galaxy S9 Plus
Galaxy Note 9

Other cell phones like Vivo, Meizu and I don't have access or they are very expensive, I live in Brazil

I will try to explain conflicts:
In this article from the link below, made by Steve Litchfield give the Xperia XZ1 maximum marks in audio quality, and as for the site Gsmarena.com it only does
a reasonable mention of it.
http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/23441_Smartphone_wired_audio_and_DAC.php

The website (gsmarena) says that the HTC 9 is the BEST smartphone of all that has been there, much better than the V20.
others also claim to be inferior, as it is very '' analytical '' and less musical compared to the HTC 9/10. But in other places, they say that the V20
it is much better in every way.

I saw mentions about the XPERIA Z3 is very, very good for audio, as Gmsarena says it is bad.

I am getting crazy! And who do I believe? Is the Gsmarena test reliable for audio fidelity? Recently they claim that any smartphone from 2019 already has excellent / perfect quality for audio, even they do not perform further tests for this reason.

While my real experiences (in my car), I can say that the MOTO G7 Power surpassed well an Iphone 6s Plus and a Galaxy S7. Perhaps the MOTO G7 Plus is even better.

Another question, does anyone know the quality of Chinese / Aliexpress bluetooth audio receivers? Are they better than a good Smartphone for audio?

Below are some examples.

https://en.aliexpress.com/item/3297...id=0bb0623116025216823452212eee65&ws_ab_test= searchweb0_0, searchweb201602_, searchweb201603_

https://en.aliexpress.com/item/3300...id=0bb0623116025216823452212eee65&ws_ab_test= searchweb0_0, searchweb201602_, searchweb201603_

https://en.aliexpress.com/item/4001...o_expid=2899a810b-ca683-409 -64d559023eb2- 4 & btsid = 0bb0623116025216823452212eee65 & ws_ab_test = searchweb0_0, searchweb201602_, searchweb201602_, searchweb201602_, searchweb201603_

https://en.aliexpress.com/item/3277...id=0bb0623116025216823452212eee65&ws_ab_test= searchweb0_0, searchweb201602_, searchweb201603_

I was unable to CREATE A New Article, I am new here.
If anyone can help me get this topic to the right place ...

Enviar feedback
Histórico
Salvas
Comunidade
LG phones are better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back