Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 26, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #3,646 of 5,168
Is there an easy database of headphone jack measurements on phones? I'm curious how, specs-wise, my options hold up... I have a LG V30, an iPhone 6S and a Pixel 3 (my actual phone-phone) running out into a Dragonfly Red.

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #3,647 of 5,168
ok some updates after listening for a day with vivo xplay5s. 1st, i like xplay5s sound more than xplay 6. The resolution seems better, open airy sound with perfect balance. The balance of higs, lows & mids are very important with me. One should not over power the other. The vivo x5max sounds touch dry in comparing with xplay5s but resolution also touch better. Comparing x5max with xplay5s, the 5s is very slightly softer sounding but more sweet. No feel no loss in highs while mids seem better. Their is very less to choose from x5max and xplay5s the difference is very close where as xpaly6 is very different. I have always liked x5max for its balance over xplay6.

2nd, xplay5s has a bit more volume over x5max which is a welcome. The increase in volume is not so big but, 80% of xplay5s is 90% of x5max. The step in volume of xplay6 is much higher than both this phones. Overall I am happy listening music with both x5max and xplay5s they are very good. I prefer both of them over xplay6.

Which headphones / IEM do you use ?

Aug 27, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #3,648 of 5,168
In the end if you are happy with the audio quality of NEX 3S, nothing else matters. Peace.:gs1000smile:

I am, on the condition of when it works 😅
Poweramp isn't too familiar with Vivo devices. NEX 3S's hi-fi DAC is not compatible (glitchy at best) with Poweramp's hi-res output via 3.5mm. To listen through the hi-fi DAC I have to settle for 48khz sample rate for everything. Not a huge deal for my 320k mp3 but my hi-res FLAC gets downsampled. On the other hand Neutron works fine but the interface gives me a headache, not to mention the EQ isn't as well implemented

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #3,649 of 5,168
I am, on the condition of when it works 😅
Poweramp isn't too familiar with Vivo devices. NEX 3S's hi-fi DAC is not compatible (glitchy at best) with Poweramp's hi-res output via 3.5mm. To listen through the hi-fi DAC I have to settle for 48khz sample rate for everything. Not a huge deal for my 320k mp3 but my hi-res FLAC gets downsampled. On the other hand Neutron works fine but the interface gives me a headache, not to mention the EQ isn't as well implemented

Why don't you use Vivo's default "iMusic" music player? :thinking:

I always prefer to go for Vivo's default music player. Reasons:

1) It is designed not to rely on Android's low res audio stack and uses HiRes direct audio path bypassing Android to inbuilt HiRes DAC.
2) HiFi can be directly enabled & disabled from the app.
3) You will have no issues with compatibility, instead there is a great synergy in the app with inbuilt HiFi chip.
4) No down-sampling of HiRes audio files.
5) Got an in-built 10-band graphic equalizer.
6) You may me missing some features when comparing PowerAmp, but iMusic gets the job done with no compromise in audio quality.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #3,650 of 5,168
A very good insight and subjective comparison between the trio. Seems I do not miss out much on my Vivo X5Max over Vivo Xplay5s. As expected Xplay5s is a fraction ahead in audio quality and more gain through headphone jack.

Quickly comparing the DACs used in both, the differences seems negligible. X5Max uses ESS ES9018K2M while Xplay5s have ESS ES9028Q2M. Both are stereo DACs with same THD of -120 dB, while ES9028Q2M edges by 2dB in DNR to 129dB. Next Xplay5s uses two such stereo DACs, one per channel in mono. This differential setup should raise signal-to-noise ratio by another 3dB. However these are all theoretical figures while the actual SNR is much lower through headphone jack as the audio signal needs to pass through other components as below.

ESS are current DACs and headphones only understands voltage, hence current-to-voltage conversion is required. I/V converters comes into scene and here X5Max uses something special. An ESS SABRE9601K headphone amplifier, converted to an I/V converter by a special switch which can only be enabled in it when paired with an ESS dac. The voltage output is pretty high in this case, much higher than TI OPA1612 used for the same job in Xplay5s. It is to note OPA1612 is a stereo op-amp, hence each of its channel is fed by one ES9028Q2M.

Now comes the final headphone amplifier stage. X5Max uses one OPA1612 op-amp as a headphone amplifier. It is used to further amplify the voltage output from SABRE9601K to the audio jack. In comparison Xplay5s uses a pair of stacked OPA1612 as headphone amplifiers. Xplay5s should have a high gain mode where both OPA1612's gets activated and the resultant output voltage is slightly higher than X5Max hence more volume.

Vivo X5Max: ESS ES9018K2M SABRE (DAC) + ESS SABRE9601K (I/V converter) + Texas Instruments OPA1612 (Headphone Amplifier)

Vivo Xplay5s: 2 X ESS ES9028Q2M (Differential mode) + Texas Instruments OPA1612 (I/V converter) + 2 X Texas Instruments OPA1612 (Headphone Amplifier)

I believe the use of SABRE9601K in X5Max is what separates the sound signature between the two. In the end it is the audio hardware design on both phones, its implementation and the experience of the team who designed both resulted in great sound quality, rather than just hard numbers of DACs and all.

Enjoy. :gs1000smile:

Great explanation as always. Thanks. I do not understand audio technicalities a lot, but your explantion makes clear to me how the audio path is in my x5max and xplay5s. The truth is there is not much to differentiate between both in sound quality and are eqaully great. Just x5max have a slightly more monitoring sound over xplay5s, but both are not harsh at all. xplay6 is also very good, in a different way being warm. Just to my liking x5max and xplay5s suits more.

There is a big problem with all these three, these phones I cannot use as my primary phone as they are now old. These phones still use micro usb port when usb type-c is now standard. So daily I use a modern nokia 7 plus which is just ok in audio part, not great as the above three vivo. Other than audio, 7 plus is a great phone with awesone built quality, clean android 10, google play store, no chinaware app pre installed. Supporting the only true european mobile company still left.

Aug 27, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #3,652 of 5,168
There is a big problem with all these three, these phones I cannot use as my primary phone as they are now old. These phones still use micro usb port when usb type-c is now standard. So daily I use a modern nokia 7 plus which is just ok in audio part, not great as the above three vivo. Other than audio, 7 plus is a great phone with awesone built quality, clean android 10, google play store, no chinaware app pre installed. Supporting the only true european mobile company still left.

I use them as DAP , and they fulfill perfectly this purpose.

Aug 29, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #3,653 of 5,168

My primary device is the Vivo NEX S. It ticks all the boxes:

1) High quality AMOLED display with DC dimming feature
2) Excellent build quality
3) Great audio quality through headphone jack
4) Native DSD playback capability
4) Latest Android 10
5) Performance powerhouse
6) Good rear cameras
7) Great 2 day battery life
8) Fast charging, USB Type-C
9) Loud ringtones & speaker
10) Excellent call quality with call recording feature
11) Full GMS certified device for security, with Google Playstore pre-installed

The only gripe I have is the weight of the device, its 200 grams. Probably overbuilt by Vivo for their first NEX device entering a previously uncharted price bracket.

Below is a an example of its structural strength:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #3,655 of 5,168
My primary device is the Vivo NEX S. It ticks all the boxes:

1) High quality AMOLED display with DC dimming feature
2) Excellent build quality
3) Great audio quality through headphone jack
4) Native DSD playback capability
4) Latest Android 10
5) Performance powerhouse
6) Good rear cameras
7) Great 2 day battery life
8) Fast charging, USB Type-C
9) Loud ringtones & speaker
10) Excellent call quality with call recording feature
11) Full GMS certified device for security, with Google Playstore pre-installed

The only gripe I have is the weight of the device, its 200 grams. Probably overbuilt by Vivo for their first NEX device entering a previously uncharted price bracket.

Below is a an example of its structural strength:

We in Europe are not so lucky as you guys in India. This phone is out of stock in aliexpress in official Vivo link, and even if we get it will be china specific rom with no Google. The nex s is solid built like tank no doubt, man that is some stress test performed most phones will break under such pressure. I am impressed. However my main phone, Nokia 7 plus is also like a tank with one of the best build. I will continue with this until I get a solid alternative.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #3,657 of 5,168
Why don't you use Vivo's default "iMusic" music player? :thinking:

I always prefer to go for Vivo's default music player. Reasons:

1) It is designed not to rely on Android's low res audio stack and uses HiRes direct audio path bypassing Android to inbuilt HiRes DAC.
2) HiFi can be directly enabled & disabled from the app.
3) You will have no issues with compatibility, instead there is a great synergy in the app with inbuilt HiFi chip.
4) No down-sampling of HiRes audio files.
5) Got an in-built 10-band graphic equalizer.
6) You may me missing some features when comparing PowerAmp, but iMusic gets the job done with no compromise in audio quality.

Hope it helps.

1) You have to be online to make a playlist. No data = no playlist editing / management. Which is an aberration.
2) Updates bring glitchs. When i power up the device and start iMusic , first song always pause randomly. And if it's not the first , maybe the second one...
3) Wrong artist photo , album art sometimes doesn't load , maybe need to be online ...
4) Now Playing playlist editing could be better. You can add a song next to the current one playing, but you can't edit order. Sorting is very poor ...
5) iMusic is a " Usine à gaz ". Too much useless features ... Each time i go back to Local Files , it look like it is reloading data ...

Samsung Music , for exemple, is a better app in every way : UI , files handling , playlist management , Now Playing playlist management , Sorting ...

If i would be able to install Samsung Music on my Vivo's , i wouldn't touch iMusic.

Even Foobar2000 is better than iMusic, just missing the lockscreen music widget ...

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #3,658 of 5,168
1) You have to be online to make a playlist. No data = no playlist editing / management. Which is an aberration.
2) Updates bring glitchs. When i power up the device and start iMusic , first song always pause randomly. And if it's not the first , maybe the second one...
3) Wrong artist photo , album art sometimes doesn't load , maybe need to be online ...
4) Now Playing playlist editing could be better. You can add a song next to the current one playing, but you can't edit order. Sorting is very poor ...
5) iMusic is a " Usine à gaz ". Too much useless features ... Each time i go back to Local Files , it look like it is reloading data ...

Samsung Music , for exemple, is a better app in every way : UI , files handling , playlist management , Now Playing playlist management , Sorting ...

If i would be able to install Samsung Music on my Vivo's , i wouldn't touch iMusic.

Even Foobar2000 is better than iMusic, just missing the lockscreen music widget ...

Seems like you guys are victim of the Chinese ROM. The GMS certified Vivo global ROM variants which are manufactured in our country have no such issues. Using the Vivo NEX S with the default iMusic player and it works like charm.

Vivo NEX S current software version:

Android Version: 10
Android security patch level: 01-Aug-2020
Vivo ROM: Funtouch OS_10
Software Version: PD1805F_EX_A_8.11.1
iMusic Version: 4.4.0.1

The characteristics and features of iMusic default music player that ships with NEX S:

1) iMusic is an offline standalone music player.
2) You do not need to be online to create any playlist.
3) You can edit playlist whenever you want, no dependency to be online.
4) It is super easy to edit playlist and you can sort playlist which ever way you want.
5) Using GMS certified Vivo smartphones for last 5 years, zero issues with the default 'iMusic' music app after any updates or restarts.
6) No issues with album arts on NEX S.
7) iMusic app is designed to bypass Android's low res audio stack using a HiRes direct audio path to inbuilt HiRes DAC.
8) HiFi mode for PCM files can be directly enabled & disabled from the app.
9) Volume can directly be controlled inside the app.
10) I have no issues with compatibility, instead there is a great synergy between the app and inbuilt HiFi chip.
11) No down-sampling of HiRes audio files.
12) Native DSD playback capability.
13) Got an in-built 10-band graphic equalizer.
14) Has sleep mode to auto stop music and switch off the phone
15) Have DSP effects named DeepField which I never use.

Coming back to my Vivo V5Plus aka Vivo X9 which is more inline with your Vivo Xplay6:

Android Version: 7.1.2
Android security patch level: 01-Oct-2019
Vivo ROM: Funtouch OS_3.1
Software Version: PD1624F_EX_A_3.13.1
iMusic Version: 4.3.0.6

This iMusic app of V5Plus is just as good as that of NEX S. Just some features are missing or different like:

1) Have audio effects named BBE, which I never use.
2) No graphic equalizers.
3) No native DSD playback capability, the inbuilt AKM AK4375 dac does not support it.
4) Sometimes while playback of HiRes 24bit @ 96kHz PCM files, album art is not loaded properly.

Note: When my NEX S was running on Android 9, I got an update for iMusic (Version: 4.3.0.6). I was able to save the apk on my Vivo NEX S and later installed the same on my V5Plus which was running a much lower version. It worked like charm.

To me the default music player that ships with GMS certified Vivo phones may not be one of the coolest looking graphic intensive music players around, but has great audio quality and gets the job done with zero issues.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #3,659 of 5,168

Here is the iMusic Version: 4.3.0.6 installed on my Vivo V5Plus which should be directly compatible with your Xplay 6. You can give it a try.

https://easyupload.io/gh6oj1

Let me know if it works on the Chinese ROM variants.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back