Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Apr 2, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #3,256 of 5,168
Which of these setups is better in terms of audio quality?
S20 + Meizu Hifi Pro (USB-C to 3.5mm)
V60

I have flc8n IEMs that I use for listening which have very low impedance (11ohm). Does Quad DAC add any value with these IEMs esp given LG doesnt trigger high impedance mode for these.

I read somewhere that Quad DAC is used only in High Impedance mode (not sure though)

Price range: Can afford any
IEM/ Headphone used: FLC 8n
Screen size: N/A
What kind of sound you wanna get: Preferably, something musical
What kind of music you mainly listen: Mixed (Indian filmi songs)
Special request: No Chinese smartphone etc.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #3,257 of 5,168
V60

I have flc8n IEMs that I use for listening which have very low impedance (11ohm). Does Quad DAC add any value with these IEMs esp given LG doesnt trigger high impedance mode for these.

I read somewhere that Quad DAC is used only in High Impedance mode (not sure though)

I am pretty certain that LG V50 which I tested is what you need.

I don't know how LG V60 performs and I don't want to predict as I didn't have chance to test it.

Apr 3, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #3,258 of 5,168
V60

The Meizu Hifi Pro is a very good, maybe the best, dongle out there.
While not as powerful as the LG in HIM, it got really good measurements on ASR.
Noone
It depends on the headphone you're going to use.
With your flc8n the meizu pro is the way to go with its low output impedance of 1.1 ohm, i guess.

I don't know the output impedance of the LG V60, but the G7 has an impedance of 6.1, which gonna effect the frequency response of your iems.
For the LG V35, someone has mentioned an output impedance of 0.94 ohm with his own measurements.
So your iems should be fine with.
While not knowing your iems, i can't say something about a positive or negative change.

If you like the idea of the S20 with additional dongle, you can go with it easily.
Otherwise the LG V60 will offer this functions in one package. :wink:

Sidenote:
With high sensitive, low impedance iems/headphones you don't need much power to drive them well.
The Quad-dac of the V-Series is available in all 3 amp states.

Apr 3, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #3,259 of 5,168
The Meizu Hifi Pro is a very good, maybe the best, dongle out there.
While not as powerful as the LG in HIM, it got really good measurements on ASR.
Noone
It depends on the headphone you're going to use.
With your flc8n the meizu pro is the way to go with its low output impedance of 1.1 ohm, i guess.

I don't know the output impedance of the LG V60, but the G7 has an impedance of 6.1, which gonna effect the frequency response of your iems.
For the LG V35, someone has mentioned an output impedance of 0.94 ohm with his own measurements.
So your iems should be fine with.
While not knowing your iems, i can't say something about a positive or negative change.

If you like the idea of the S20 with additional dongle, you can go with it easily.
Otherwise the LG V60 will offer this functions in one package. :wink:

Sidenote:
With high sensitive, low impedance iems/headphones you don't need much power to drive them well.
The Quad-dac of the V-Series is available in all 3 amp states.
Thanks for your reply. LG Quad DAC in Normal Audio output mode vs Meizu Pro? which one you think will give better audio?

Apr 3, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #3,260 of 5,168
Thanks for your reply. LG Quad DAC in Normal Audio output mode vs Meizu Pro? which one you think will give better audio?
With your iems it should be nearly equal.

With my V30, I could drive my Era-1 (20ohm/ 94dB) on aux or high impedance mode to satisfying levels with ease. :wink:

Apr 4, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #3,263 of 5,168
I also guess in most cases there should be not much difference. In both cases the sound will be a great upgrade over "normal" smartphones.
Fully agree.

Apr 5, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #3,264 of 5,168
So all run smooth no hiccup,glad to hear that.
So there is no real competitors to LG v50

I have the LG v50 Asian model. It stands alone amongst all smartphones.

Apr 5, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #3,265 of 5,168
The other interesting phone I'd look at but it entails waiting for the release of the new Sony Xperia 1 II. I think it could be a top audiophile smartphone of the year. Or the other option is the new LG v60

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #3,266 of 5,168
Thanks for your reply. LG Quad DAC in Normal Audio output mode vs Meizu Pro? which one
you think will give better audio?

LG quad dac in high impedance mode.

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #3,268 of 5,168

Users who are viewing this thread

Back