Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Oct 13, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #2,011 of 5,166

Vivo nex s got ldac on lateat update.

Nice! Also, I forgot to ask you another thing: does triggering High Gain mode on NEX S (with an adapter or anything else) boost the output power properly, like on LG phones with DAC?

Edit: my bad. I was googling it and found right out your post about that. Thanks anyways for your feedback :)

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #2,012 of 5,166
Good choice, users on xda are reporting that they are getting 10 hours of sot in single charge. Sounds too good to be true but there are screenshots backing their claim. I would like to know your take on this once you get your hands on it apart from sound department.
NES S arrived just 3 days ago. I've already configured it and tested a lot of songs in High and Low gain mode. Here's my audio-dedicated review: you should be able to transalte it from italian with Google, reading from Chrome mobile.

Panel quality is superb, no uniformity issues, aboslutely whity-whites for an AMOLED, amazing camera (GCAM is compatible aswell without rooting the phone, I wrote a guide about that)... battery is scary. In good terms, I mean: 6:25h Screen ON time discharging it at 91% and continuing on launcher configurations; I've also listened to music in High Gain mode for two hours, and that's admirable. Battery life is comparable, if not better, to Huawei Mate 10 Pro. Here's the screenshot, and here's the third day usage screenshot.

Hope you find this helpful <3

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #2,013 of 5,166
Just got a ZTE Axon M a few days ago. It's not listed on the page 1 spreadsheet but has an AKM 4962 DAC chip among other unique features like dual folding screens.

Considered getting the V35 or V40 but, even discounted, a new unlocked V35 was double the Axon M's price (and V40 is nearly 3x).

Got Poweramp (updated to build 800) installed and configured for Hi-Res output. Sound quality is pretty good imo. Listened for couple hours last night on Super HiFi mode with my HD598. The Momentum 2 also sounds good with the Axon M but better in Standard HiFi mode. There's some debate online over the past year whether Standard is for the Snapdragon audio and Super is for the AKM chip. I can't say for sure but both sound good with Super being louder and having more bass. Super also sounded a bit muddy at first but seems to be less and less as the phone burns in. Pairing could be essential too; the bass light HD598 matches up very well. Also plugged in my T50rp mk3 on Super and had to max out the volume. Barely enough power to run them but not so different from my LG V10 although the V10 does get a bit louder.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #2,015 of 5,166
Thinking of picking up an LG G7 considering the kind of price and offers i am getting. It might prove to be a better deal then Vivo Nex S which has poor ppi and no MQA support in Tidal. V40 might take few months to launch locally and then no offers since it's a fresh device. G7 seems like a no brainer to me, although i am still confused as usual :deadhorse:
That's what I did, really wanted to try the vivo nex, but what's the point if I can't get the best sound quality from tidal. Ended up with the LG G7. It does feel like an upgrade from the V30.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #2,016 of 5,166
That's what I did, really wanted to try the vivo nex, but what's the point if I can't get the best sound quality from tidal. Ended up with the LG G7. It does feel like an upgrade from the V30.

I am now waiting for V40 launch. Meanwhile their G7 One is also in my consideration. If it comes first I may get that instead. I was thinking of getting the normal G7 first but now decided to wait for their upcoming launches. Already decided to skip Nes S because of no MQA support and poor PPI. I want least compromises and for that reason I keep on waiting :stuck_out_tongue:

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #2,017 of 5,166
NES S arrived just 3 days ago. I've already configured it and tested a lot of songs in High and Low gain mode. Here's my audio-dedicated review: you should be able to transalte it from italian with Google, reading from Chrome mobile.

Panel quality is superb, no uniformity issues, aboslutely whity-whites for an AMOLED, amazing camera (GCAM is compatible aswell without rooting the phone, I wrote a guide about that)... battery is scary. In good terms, I mean: 6:25h Screen ON time discharging it at 91% and continuing on launcher configurations; I've also listened to music in High Gain mode for two hours, and that's admirable. Battery life is comparable, if not better, to Huawei Mate 10 Pro. Here's the screenshot, and here's the third day usage screenshot.

Hope you find this helpful <3
Hey, can the phone be rooted? Would you know if it has unlocked bootloader?

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #2,019 of 5,166
Anyone know what the meizu 16th (not 16, i know, naming...) has to offer in terms of dac chip / bluetooth codecs...?

About the audio dac chip i sent an email to meizu support and asked them and answered me that they dont have confirmed information about it.
I think i read in an interview before its release that "it will have better audio than 15"

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #2,020 of 5,166
I am now waiting for V40 launch. Meanwhile their G7 One is also in my consideration. If it comes first I may get that instead. I was thinking of getting the normal G7 first but now decided to wait for their upcoming launches. Already decided to skip Nes S because of no MQA support and poor PPI. I want least compromises and for that reason I keep on waiting :stuck_out_tongue:
Wait patiently, I just wrote a news about its price drop. Some US resellers opened pre-orders with and instant 200$ discount together with a 256GB San Disk Ultra for free. V40's gonna be priced half of it in about 4 months ಠ‿ಠ

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #2,021 of 5,166
Recently got my first Macbook Pro 13. Got a good deal on used market. What impressed me the most is it's audio out of 3.5 mm headphone jack. It's seriously good for a laptop. Goes toe to toe with my Le Max phone which is having a dedicated ESS Chip. In fact I already prefer it over my Le Max because of fuller sound. Le Max sounds sharper and thinner in comparison.

From my understanding the DAC used in Macbook is Cirrus Logic but it's not the same as the one used in Exynos S8 which sounds crappy. The former is a real deal unlike Exynos.

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #2,022 of 5,166
Does anyone know what DAC the Asus ROG Phone uses, if any? It seems to be capable of 24-bit/192kHz audio output, but it might just be using the Snapdragon SoC's onboard audio codec.

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #2,024 of 5,166
Need suggestion for new phone :
Price range:400-500USD
IEM/ Headphone used: OPPO PM 3
Screen size: 5.5 plus
What kind of sound you wanna get: more warm? more detail? bigger soundstage? More bass.
What kind of music you mainly listen: Pop? Rock? EDM? Orchestra?: EDM
Special request: no Chinese models n not interested in camera . A decent camera would do .

I am currently biased towards Razer Phone -1 , hoping to find a deal for the phone around 400.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions .

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #2,025 of 5,166
Need suggestion for new phone :
Price range:400-500USD
IEM/ Headphone used: OPPO PM 3
Screen size: 5.5 plus
What kind of sound you wanna get: more warm? more detail? bigger soundstage? More bass.
What kind of music you mainly listen: Pop? Rock? EDM? Orchestra?: EDM
Special request: no Chinese models n not interested in camera . A decent camera would do .

I am currently biased towards Razer Phone -1 , hoping to find a deal for the phone around 400.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions .

V20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back