Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jul 22, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #1,609 of 5,166
This hobby isn't purely objective. Ears aren't manufactured in a factory like your S9 is. Did you come here for affirmation that it would be as easy as looking at measurements to choose your preferred equipment?

I do not own an S9 and I do not get your post.
If we can't trust objective measurements then what should we base ourselves on?

I had an HTC 10, a smartphone loved by the audiophile community, and it sounded ok.
Now I have an iPhone 8 with a dongle and it sounds a lot cleaner. But it isn't even on the list.

Makes me wonder about this thread.

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #1,610 of 5,166
I do not own an S9 and I do not get your post.
If we can't trust objective measurements then what should we base ourselves on?

I had an HTC 10, a smartphone loved by the audiophile community, and it sounded ok.
Now I have an iPhone 8 with a dongle and it sounds a lot cleaner. But it isn't even on the list.

Makes me wonder about this thread.

Not all of those in the list are best for music. It is just stating what dac/amp the company claims to put inside. What truly found great sound by me will receive a "Recommended" in last column

And the reason I don't put iphone in the table even though some are good because when you choose smartphone, you will first need to decide whether you want android or iOS.

Ok, so if you want iOS then you have no other choices but to get iphone and most likely you will get latest iphone because of iOS version compatibility with app update in the future with best camera spec.

So this thread focuses on android, because it has various choices for you in many price range. and when you say that iphone 8 sound great with dongle, I would say you can find vivo xplay6, vivo nex S, Lg v20 Lg v30 even sound better while spending less (assuming there is no any promotion on 4G/LTE Package that makes you able to buy iphones cheaper.)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,611 of 5,166
Perhaps the thread title should be revised to "Some of the Best Smartphones for Audiophiles". There's no such thing as a single 'best'.

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #1,612 of 5,166
Perhaps the thread title should be revised to "Some of the Best Smartphones for Audiophiles". There's no such thing as a single 'best'.

I love that name. It sounds legit to me. :) Anyway, at least you can find individual best for anyone who came across.

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #1,617 of 5,166
Meizu pro 7 in comparison with mx4 pro? Does it have a line out feature or hifi like mx4pro? Plays direct hd sound like mx4pro in poweramp or usbaudioplayer pro(flyme 6.2.0g android 5.1.1)tested with terminal emulator
It is recommended in the list .
I currently use mx4 pro for audio playback with fiio a5 but it is gettin little old....lol

Jul 28, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #1,618 of 5,166
How about to Meizu pro 7 plus?

I like meizu pro7+ sound house than G6+. It is more balanced and better mid and bass for me.

Meizu pro 7 in comparison with mx4 pro? Does it have a line out feature or hifi like mx4pro? Plays direct hd sound like mx4pro in poweramp or usbaudioplayer pro(flyme 6.2.0g android 5.1.1)tested with terminal emulator
It is recommended in the list .
I currently use mx4 pro for audio playback with fiio a5 but it is gettin little old....lol

Pro 7 doesn't have that line out, high gain, low gain option.
Go for either Xplay6 or LG V30 which is cheaper now. You won't regret its performance. you will forget fiio a5 as well.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #1,619 of 5,166
I like meizu pro7+ sound house than G6+. It is more balanced and better mid and bass for me.

Pro 7 doesn't have that line out, high gain, low gain option.
Go for either Xplay6 or LG V30 which is cheaper now. You won't regret its performance. you will forget fiio a5 as well.
thanks for the answer! I can find these days Meizu pro 7 quite cheap in Greece 200euro with 2 years warranty. That's why I ask. Lgv30 and xplay 6 cost more. I don't want to spend much more.

Jul 28, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #1,620 of 5,166
Hi guys !

How's the sound of the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact ? I'm looking for a compact smartphone with good audio quality, that's the only one I found.
If the sound is just "okay", I've considered pairing it with a AudioQuest DragonFly Black USB DAC.

Thanks in advance !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back