Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jul 9, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #1,577 of 5,166
why isn't S9 on the list? It has one of the best measurements on GSMArena
Because measuring good sound is impossible, one can measure a lot of attributes that tell how linear it will be the impulse and frequency response, imd/thd, but at the end of the day none of these will tell you if it sounds good or not. A device can have amazing measurements but sound like the cheap crap...

Jul 9, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #1,578 of 5,166
Again, I am aware that stereo crosstalk and instrument separation are two different concepts. But they are closely related in real life. In a stereo recording, let's say a rock song, you use to have some instrument planned to the left or the right side. Many times panned 100% only to one side. If you have the rhythm guitar totally panned to the left, and the lead guitar totally panned to the right, the lesser the stereo crosstalk, the better instrument separation. Again, real life performance vs theoretical definitions.

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #1,579 of 5,166
Can someone explain me one thing please, just out of interest. Why does a DAC (in my case the B&O dac from LG) does sound different depending on what device you connect it to? When i connect it to a phone for example, it sounds just good, but when connected to a PC, it sounds absolutely phenomenal? I have a Sony NW-A35 here to compare (had a few FIIO`S too) and it completly destroys them all when connected to the PC, the sound is just amazing. When you connect it to a phone though, things change and the Sony sounds better. As far as i understand, there shouldn`t be a difference since the whole sound is produced by the DAC, but there is, and it`s audible.
By the way, if you`re in search fo a good sounding cheap device for you laptop or pc, get that thing if you can. Despite no one knowing about it, this is a serious peace of audio hardware that can compare even to Fiio players in the 400€ plus price range. Believe me, you will be pleasantly suprised

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #1,580 of 5,166
Can someone explain me one thing please, just out of interest. Why does a DAC (in my case the B&O dac from LG) does sound different depending on what device you connect it to? When i connect it to a phone for example, it sounds just good, but when connected to a PC, it sounds absolutely phenomenal? I have a Sony NW-A35 here to compare (had a few FIIO`S too) and it completly destroys them all when connected to the PC, the sound is just amazing. When you connect it to a phone though, things change and the Sony sounds better. As far as i understand, there shouldn`t be a difference since the whole sound is produced by the DAC, but there is, and it`s audible.
By the way, if you`re in search fo a good sounding cheap device for you laptop or pc, get that thing if you can. Despite no one knowing about it, this is a serious peace of audio hardware that can compare even to Fiio players in the 400€ plus price range. Believe me, you will be pleasantly suprised

Read more about jitter and audio clock. software and the apps you used to play also affects.

https://headfonics.com/2017/12/what-is-jitter-in-audio/

Jul 14, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #1,582 of 5,166
I'm curious if it's a difference in source power. If a powered usb hub would improve the phone?

Rare scale of difference compared to desktop set up. But you can try with different power bank (try eneloop, panasonic) or make a custom linear power supply would be an overkill.

Jul 17, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #1,584 of 5,166
hey, guys!
can you help me with choosing some good phone for my westones w60, i was choosing between vivo xplay 6, lg v30, lg g7 or vivo nex s, but i still don't know which of them will play good with my IEMs.
Thanks!

Xplay6, lg v30 and nex S would be great match with your IEM. But I still give a crown to xplay6 as the best price-performance.

G7 is tuning differently from v30. it is too dry and not powerful bass. So I dont recommend this. At first, I think they should sound same as V30 but I am wrong once I tested.

Jul 17, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #1,585 of 5,166
hey, guys!
can you help me with choosing some good phone for my westones w60, i was choosing between vivo xplay 6, lg v30, lg g7 or vivo nex s, but i still don't know which of them will play good with my IEMs.
Thanks!

Heya! I can easily recommend the V30 and G7 - I own both and they both sound great. If you're interested, I can write up an A/B comparison for you :)

Jul 17, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #1,586 of 5,166
Heya! I can easily recommend the V30 and G7 - I own both and they both sound great. If you're interested, I can write up an A/B comparison for you :)
Xplay6, lg v30 and nex S would be great match with your IEM. But I still give a crown to xplay6 as the best price-performance.

G7 is tuning differently from v30. it is too dry and not powerful bass. So I dont recommend this. At first, I think they should sound same as V30 but I am wrong once I tested.
Thanks guys, i have decided to buy xplay6 as it costs around 400$ versus 700$ for v30 and 900$ for g7.
I hope that xplay 7 wont be much better that 6 :D

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #1,588 of 5,166
Thanks guys, i have decided to buy xplay6 as it costs around 400$ versus 700$ for v30 and 900$ for g7.
I hope that xplay 7 wont be much better that 6 :D

Even Nex S comes out, it is still hard to find xplay6 second hand. Grab it as you still can. You wont regret having this amazing 2016 phone still beasting a lot of phones these day.

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #1,590 of 5,166
Hi Guys!
Sorry for being out of topic, i just want to ask for what is the good iem to buy for lg v30 with the budget of $200 and below..
possible online purchase is from Aliexpress since I am from Philippines..
Genre's:
Dream Theatre like bands or Black Sabbath
Sometimes listening to HipHop - Still D.R.E (yow) :D

thanks in advance.. cheers :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back