Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jun 26, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,546 of 5,166
Again you should post this in the V30 thread. I don't think anyone here consider themselves fanboys.

You can't trigger aux or him in the settings. If you have detectable cables just plug the cable in first and you will always trigger aux mode. You need an impedance adaptor or headphones with more than 50 ohm to trigger him. It will only take you a few min to find this info in the dedicated LG threads.

Jun 26, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #1,547 of 5,166
Again you should post this in the V30 thread. I don't think anyone here consider themselves fanboys.

You can't trigger aux or him in the settings. If you have detectable cables just plug the cable in first and you will always trigger aux mode. You need an impedance adaptor or headphones with more than 50 ohm to trigger him. It will only take you a few min to find this info in the dedicated LG threads.

Thx - That was the info I was going by, and have knowledge of. All good now.

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #1,548 of 5,166
Coming from an HTC 10 i'm finding the iPhone 8 (with the dongle) to have a much superior sound: it's more definite and clearer, makes the htc 10 sound "dirty" in comparison.
I'm using iBasso IT01. Not trying high impedance on these.

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #1,549 of 5,166
I am looking for a good smartphone pairing for my Massdrop Plus Universal IEMs, which I love when driving from my gear at my desk, but are lackluster out of my Samsung Note 8. I have a Q1 MKII I picked up when I was driving Pinnacle PXs that needed the extra juice, but I am sick of lugging it around especially since the MD+s have an impedance of only 10 ohms. The MD+s are really sensitive and do best with a source output impedance <1ohm, when I hooked them up to the Note 8 the bass became a complete mess. I snagged an iFi IEMatch that helped a bit, but is a less than ideal solution with its own drawbacks.

Wife and I are eligible for an upgrade with T-Mobile and they have a BOGO deal on LG phones currently, so I am thinking it is time to ditch the Samsung (which other than audio I have loved) and grab a V30 or LG G7 ThinQ. Are the Quad DAC LG's a good match for sensitive IEMs? And if so, is there actual consensus that the LG g7 is on par with the V30? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #1,550 of 5,166
I am looking for a good smartphone pairing for my Massdrop Plus Universal IEMs, which I love when driving from my gear at my desk, but are lackluster out of my Samsung Note 8. I have a Q1 MKII I picked up when I was driving Pinnacle PXs that needed the extra juice, but I am sick of lugging it around especially since the MD+s have an impedance of only 10 ohms. The MD+s are really sensitive and do best with a source output impedance <1ohm, when I hooked them up to the Note 8 the bass became a complete mess. I snagged an iFi IEMatch that helped a bit, but is a less than ideal solution with its own drawbacks.

Wife and I are eligible for an upgrade with T-Mobile and they have a BOGO deal on LG phones currently, so I am thinking it is time to ditch the Samsung (which other than audio I have loved) and grab a V30 or LG G7 ThinQ. Are the Quad DAC LG's a good match for sensitive IEMs? And if so, is there actual consensus that the LG g7 is on par with the V30? Thanks in advance for the advice.

I don't test it myself ;however, in the LG G7 thread, there is a user having it and state that both sound silmilar.

Jun 28, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #1,551 of 5,166
Question: i see in the gsmarena reviews, they always mention sound quality when an external amp is connected, and also when headphones are connected.
But since most new smartphones don't have a headphine jack, what is it then that is being tested - the dac and amp in the usb dongle??

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #1,552 of 5,166
Question: i see in the gsmarena reviews, they always mention sound quality when an external amp is connected, and also when headphones are connected.
But since most new smartphones don't have a headphine jack, what is it then that is being tested - the dac and amp in the usb dongle??
Are you sure most new smartphones don't have a headphone jack? Certainly some don't, but most? If that is the case man that happened fast.

Jun 29, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #1,554 of 5,166
Any recommendations for using with bluetooth headset? Was hoping for something with support for AptX since I'm mostly using my Advanced Model 3 but also with a 3.5mm jack, a decent battery life and camera. V30+ is really a good option but was hoping I could get something with a lesser price. Thanks! I'm currently using Lenovo Vibe X3 which I also got from the spreadsheet here. :smile_phones:

Jun 29, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #1,555 of 5,166
Any recommendations for using with bluetooth headset? Was hoping for something with support for AptX since I'm mostly using my Advanced Model 3 but also with a 3.5mm jack, a decent battery life and camera. V30+ is really a good option but was hoping I could get something with a lesser price. Thanks! I'm currently using Lenovo Vibe X3 which I also got from the spreadsheet here. :smile_phones:

Honor 10 would be good enough.

Jun 30, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #1,556 of 5,166
so hard. I tried AK xb10, ATH pha 55bt, and es100

the best bluetooth dac amp I tried till date is audio technica at-pha55bt. (still not tried m0 yet)

But none beats the "detail" in vivo xp6.

BTW, I have knew how to set "Hi-Fi" for neutron music player. which you can swap choosing between DSD mode and Hi-Fi mode very easily. I will PM you tonight :wink:
Hi, did you compare M0 to at pha55bt yet? They say M0 is very clean. I own at-pha55bt and I find it dark sounding, lacking sparkle, and behind good dacs( Chord Mojo) in terms of Microdetail and clarity. Maybe M0 sounds better?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #1,558 of 5,166
Thanks! Unfortunately the only available Honor 10 here in our country is the 4GB with Global ROM. Think it's good enough? Global ROM doesn't have the Hi-Fi option right? Cause I sometimes use wired earphones.

Still consider not bad for 3.5 mm output in global version.

Jul 1, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #1,559 of 5,166
Anytime an amp is tightly integrated with a DAC and a bunch of other electronics into a small-ish device the first thing I ask myself is "What is the stereo performance of that?" (what is the crosstalk measurement). And manufacturers know this is the biggest problem in these cases so they don't publish the crosstalk spec at all, just like for internal soundcards. Until we can talk about the crosstalk of "audiophile phones" vs. dedicated DAC/amps and players, one can't make an informed decision on which type of device is to be preferred for audio quality (not without going out and doing A/B comparisons of a whole bunch of devices, most of which are usually not found in the same kind of shop or showroom).

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #1,560 of 5,166
Anytime an amp is tightly integrated with a DAC and a bunch of other electronics into a small-ish device the first thing I ask myself is "What is the stereo performance of that?" (what is the crosstalk measurement). And manufacturers know this is the biggest problem in these cases so they don't publish the crosstalk spec at all, just like for internal soundcards. Until we can talk about the crosstalk of "audiophile phones" vs. dedicated DAC/amps and players, one can't make an informed decision on which type of device is to be preferred for audio quality (not without going out and doing A/B comparisons of a whole bunch of devices, most of which are usually not found in the same kind of shop or showroom).
Spot on comment. One of the biggest real life features you can find in good equipment is precisely the stereo crosstalk and the instruments separation derived from that.
Apart from this, I'm looking for an everyday replacement to my Onkyo Granbeat. Mainly because cases for the Granbeat are like more than 50 Euros each one, and I already bought three so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back