Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jun 5, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #1,441 of 5,166
Hi there
I think the s9 plus is a terrific phone, and I have no doubt you'll be very happy with it if you buy it. I think it has the best screen of any phone currently available, is great having expandable storage and the battery life was very good in my experience . For me the problems with it are:
1. In still not a fan of Samsung experience Android skin . It's much better than it used to be but still comes stuffed with unnecessary duplicate Samsung apps, some of which can't be deleted. Additionally it is on Android 8.0 and historically Samsung are slow to update .
2. The camera is good in manual mode but is not always reliable on auto particularly in tricky lighting situations where the pixel 2 pretty much nails it every time. The front facing camera is very poor though-i think it's the same one that they had on the s8. Selfies are rubbish .
3. The headphone jack is very welcome, but again, using sensitive iem I could hear a lot of background noise and digital artefacts during quiet bits of music (I listen to a lot of classical music where this is a real problem,). The only phones I have heard recently with completely black background are the iPhone X and the OnePlus 6.

Having said all that, I did really like the s9 and was tempted to keep it, but in the UK it is also more than £300 more expensive than the 128gb OnePlus 6. The OP6 gives me 90% of the features and the things it lacks (higher Res screen, wireless charging, optical zoom lens) I am happy to sacrifice . The main thing I miss is the expandable storage, but having been an iPhone user for many years, I can live with that, especially as it comes in a 256gb variant .

Hope that's helpful.
Hi! Thanks for the detailed comments, they've been really helpful. I can live with most of the issues, but the background noise is very concerning. What IEMs did you use? And also, I guess you got the Exynos version since you are in Europe, right? I have the chance of getting either version, Exynos or Snapdragon, but Im still not sure which will be better for IEMs.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #1,442 of 5,166
Hi! Thanks for the detailed comments, they've been really helpful. I can live with most of the issues, but the background noise is very concerning. What IEMs did you use? And also, I guess you got the Exynos version since you are in Europe, right? I have the chance of getting either version, Exynos or Snapdragon, but Im still not sure which will be better for IEMs.

I use Shure SE535 or SE846 - the backgtound digital crackling is more noticeable with the SE535 which I think are massively sesnsitive. Examples can be heard in music with a lot of dynamic range - eg, classical msuic with quiet passages, when there is crackling around the notes. Another example is the intro to Pink Floyd "Speak to me" (the bit with the heartbeats etc) - on my OP6 and iphone x, there is complete silence followed by the gradually building volume of the heartbeats. On a lot of other phones I have heard, including the V30 and the S9, there is a background whoosing/crackling noise as the sounds kick in until the volume gets loud enough to drown it out. Maybe I'm just too fussy/sensitive (most likely both) but it really bothers me! I do realise that this problem is not relevant to most modern popular music produced, which tends to be mastered at high levels with a very limited dynamic range, so will be inaudible most of the time. However, it bothers me that I know it's there!

Yes as I'm in the UK, mine was the exynos version - great speedy performance from this chip.
Anyway, as i said, you will like the S9 plus in most other regards I think.

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #1,443 of 5,166
I use Shure SE535 or SE846 - the backgtound digital crackling is more noticeable with the SE535 which I think are massively sesnsitive. Examples can be heard in music with a lot of dynamic range - eg, classical msuic with quiet passages, when there is crackling around the notes. Another example is the intro to Pink Floyd "Speak to me" (the bit with the heartbeats etc) - on my OP6 and iphone x, there is complete silence followed by the gradually building volume of the heartbeats. On a lot of other phones I have heard, including the V30 and the S9, there is a background whoosing/crackling noise as the sounds kick in until the volume gets loud enough to drown it out. Maybe I'm just too fussy/sensitive (most likely both) but it really bothers me! I do realise that this problem is not relevant to most modern popular music produced, which tends to be mastered at high levels with a very limited dynamic range, so will be inaudible most of the time. However, it bothers me that I know it's there!

Yes as I'm in the UK, mine was the exynos version - great speedy performance from this chip.
Anyway, as i said, you will like the S9 plus in most other regards I think.
Thanks! the info is very helpful. I'll make sure to have a listen before I buy. :)

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #1,445 of 5,166
Jun 6, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #1,447 of 5,166
I'am wondering if it apply for every phones ? I know that Meizu Pro 5 have two path aswell a Wolfson and the ESS Dac (I suppose same for Pro 6 + )

I dont clearly understand your question. Can you explain a little bit more?

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #1,449 of 5,166
Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #1,450 of 5,166
could anyone just import the chinese version of the honor 10 which includes the better dac from aliexpress etc.?

liaow.com

Jun 7, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #1,452 of 5,166
@artpiggo

What would you choose over a v30?

For current situation... I am inclined to have 1 mid class smartphone + 1 DAP instead. Or else, vivo xplay6 is still the top class for me in term of both camera+sound. For the next phone, I am not sure they will go for an overpriced smartphone or not.

Jun 7, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #1,453 of 5,166
For current situation... I am inclined to have 1 mid class smartphone + 1 DAP instead. Or else, vivo xplay6 is still the top class for me in term of both camera+sound. For the next phone, I am not sure they will go for an overpriced smartphone or not.
Thanks Sir

I have the iPhone x as my daily driver so this is an audio phone only i do not activate it at all

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #1,454 of 5,166
I dont clearly understand your question. Can you explain a little bit more?
According to the xda thread about the LG it seems that Hifi isn't triggered properly and it's only working with high impedance cans right ?
So I was wondering if this sort of bug can affect other brand like meizu or others .
Pro 5 have two path a Wolfson and ESS dac first one is used for lighter audio process while the stock audio player and other system apps should use hifi path as default source.
But Since it's bugged on the LG maybe it's too on meizu and only high impedance cans can take profit of the ESS Dac.
I have currently a pair of headphone that's under 20Ohm and therefore meizu set a default low gain and you can't adjust it so maybe under 20Ohm it's using lower end dac
Hope it's a bit clearer for you :confused:

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #1,455 of 5,166
According to the xda thread about the LG it seems that Hifi isn't triggered properly and it's only working with high impedance cans right ?
So I was wondering if this sort of bug can affect other brand like meizu or others .
Pro 5 have two path a Wolfson and ESS dac first one is used for lighter audio process while the stock audio player and other system apps should use hifi path as default source.
But Since it's bugged on the LG maybe it's too on meizu and only high impedance cans can take profit of the ESS Dac.
I have currently a pair of headphone that's under 20Ohm and therefore meizu set a default low gain and you can't adjust it so maybe under 20Ohm it's using lower end dac
Hope it's a bit clearer for you :confused:

Pro5 only has ess9018k2m. Where is your info about wolfson?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back