Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Oct 2, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #466 of 5,162
Pro 7 has max output at 1.7 Vrms

Then you enter impedance and sensitivity of your headphone and see how much it need. If it is less than 1.7 Vrms, meizu pro7 is able to drive.

https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/
i take advantage of your experience: meizu pro7 uses cs43130(with internal amp i think). i don´t know this chip.it´s good?
my only experience with cs dac is with a wolfson dac of audio-gd dac/amp. i remeber that sound was very good

Oct 2, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #467 of 5,162
Pro 7 has max output at 1.7 Vrms

Then you enter impedance and sensitivity of your headphone and see how much it need. If it is less than 1.7 Vrms, meizu pro7 is able to drive.

https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/

Yep thanks for the link it is very helpfull, but i wiil give a try in a shop by myself cause i can't find the sensibility of the headphone and i don't believe in marketing.

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #468 of 5,162
Hi guys,
So what is _the best_ smartphone all around? Is it LG V30? I'm planning to upgrade from my iPhone 6s, so my only concern with V30 would be it's size. How do you carry that thing?)
Are there any alternatives?
You'll have the same experience as everyone : at the beginning a phablet size smartphone seems huge (if you are not used to such a size), then you wonder why you waited so long before enjoying it. Especially if you surf on the phone, watch videos, or simply read on the screen. And if you don't already, it's just a question of time.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #469 of 5,162
Guys, these phones (LG V30, Xplay 6, Onkyo) are very costly almost the price of a 50" LED TV. Are there any cheaper phones which are still audiophile grade? Dont need other high end features like 2 cameras, 2k display, curved screen etc. Just need normal phone with high end dac/amp. Budget: 250 USD.

You can find a V20 NEW for under 300 USD now. And a V10 of course cheaper. I still like both of them : both are on android 7, both have screen size of 5.7 inches, 4GB RAM, and both are fast enough for a good experience. Each has its own sound qualities (dynamics, bass and warm sound with V10, more details and MIDs with V20). Not to mention the rest (second display for music player shortcuts, removable battery, SD card, excellent recording capabilities...). For the European people, the G5 and the HiFi Plus DAC module are also dirt cheap now. H990DS (V20 dual sim from Asia, B&O tuned) is around 300 euros new (and it has all LTE bands that you need, that is not the case with most chinese phones).
When you see the prices requested by Astell&Kern, Cowon, and many DAP vendors for their devices (except Fiio and some minor chinese vendors), that's tremendous value !
i take advantage of your experience: meizu pro7 uses cs43130(with internal amp i think). i don´t know this chip.it´s good?
my only experience with cs dac is with a wolfson dac of audio-gd dac/amp. i remeber that sound was very good
CS DAC is from Cirrus Logic, not from Wolfson. Anyway, even if Wolfson chips are generally on the warmer/musical side, and ESS Sabre chips on the analytical side, you really have to test : the V10 with ESS 9018 DAC results in a really warm and dynamic sound. Not cold or analytical. Of course the amp stage is also important and can colour/alter the sound.
I have not heard Meizu Pro 7 or CS43130 DAC yet though.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #472 of 5,162
A little tip for those with rooted device and want to have bit perfect playback. You can download the Ainur SAURON MK I.IV.II mod from XDA, which promises direct acces to the dac, without any oversampling/resampling bypassing the android system and its and optimizing for each case trough "AI installer"(should be working on most devices). Tried it on my vibe x3 and have to say I am very impressed with the results, incresed the power of turbo hifi by a bit, and sounds way clearer more musical /detailed if that makes sense, now nolonger do I need to go into headset setting to give the amp a boost. Looks like the ess dac is now always working and without resampling, no longer do i need to go into audio.poliscy and mixerpaths to stop the 48khz resampling that android loves. It all seems to be in proper sampling rate and bit debt. Saved me a lot of trouble of modding everything myself after last reset and root.

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #474 of 5,162
WOW, I'm on XDA, GREAT WORK that anyone should know for a smartphone dap

Are you talking about the "the Ainur SAURON MK I.IV.II mod from XDA" in message above? That sounds like something all android phones should have !

Never played with phones but to update or install apps.. So don't have any experience doing this kind of stuff...

1. Does phone need to be rooted for this to work?

2. Where can I find simple, step by step installation instructions ?

Oct 7, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #477 of 5,162
Oct 7, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #478 of 5,162
Oct 7, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #479 of 5,162
I had read several pages of that link. But didn't find clear (at least to me) installation instructions. Need a "rooting and modding for beginners" tutorial; Lest I brick a phone !
Use google to find instructions on how to root and instal twrp for your specific phone.

Oct 7, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #480 of 5,162
I had read several pages of that link. But didn't find clear (at least to me) installation instructions. Need a "rooting and modding for beginners" tutorial; Lest I brick a phone !
Go on XDA and find your devices thread if you are lucky there will be custom recovery and roms for your devices(with complete tutorial) otherwhise you can forget about this mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back