Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 31, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #286 of 5,166
LG V30 is coming, today:

ESS ES9218P DAC with the high 2V rms output (probably impedance sensing like the earlier models)
User selectable filters
MQA decoding

MQA decoding is an interesting touch.
Let's hope LG made 16bit offload mode by default this time…

Sep 2, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #289 of 5,166
I just got my first dedicated DAP, and inexpensive Xduoo X3, and it is quite remarkable. I put Rockbox on it, and tried comparing it to my Schiit Magni/Modi stack, and while it does not reach that level, it actually comes quite close, and will plainly blow away old ipod touch 5th gen, and my Nexus 5X.

My dilemma is that I really like having Spotify (may try Tidal also) for exploring music, and making playlists. I don’t mind buying the music I discover on Spotify, but my playlists consist of many singles from albums I don’t care for that much.

I don’t object to using external DAC/amp, except I just got my first set of CIEM, and their sound signature is quite awful for my preferences, so EQ is a must, which rules out the external solution.

I am considering picking up a used LG V20 advertised locally.

Some people in this thread still seem to think even the better phones on the list cannot compare to a dedicated DAP – and I am not speaking to the $1000 range DAPs! I would expect them to outperform many systems on the market.

Anyone else done comparisons between mid-range DAPS to HTC10, V10, V20?

I am one that believes there will always be some loss of fidelity in a portable setting. When moving around there are more distractions, more ambient noise, etc. Still, I know I need something better than this Nexus 5X, and it is nice to have great portable fidelity on times when you are able to sit down and really listen to your music.

Great thread here, thanks artpiggo!

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #290 of 5,166
After seeing "mid range DAP" in the era that highest price is $3000 ish, what price is everyone's definition for mid range DAP?

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #291 of 5,166
$3,000.00 is NOT midrange, to me. That is very high end, IMO. I would think a good midrange DAP is the X5iii. That is $500.00 in Canada. Plus, lots of taxes up here.

To me the X7 and the upper level Sony's are high end as they hit $1,000ish dollars up here. In my case those are aspirational and may happen in the future.

I can't imagine ever forking out the Big bucks for the AK and company. I am not that rich or that much of an audiofile. Actually, I am not any kind of audiofile. I just love music and like to listen to it as "cleanly" as possible.

Shane D

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #292 of 5,166
To me, when you are pushing $1000, you should expect something special. There are DAPs such as Cayin n3 or n5 that get very good reviews, the fiio x5 (reviews say it is "warm", so out of the question for me) that gets good reviews. My cheap xduoo gets great reviews, and deservedly so in my view.

So, from my perspective, comparing an "audiophile" phone to a $400-500 DAP is reasonable. Comparing it to a $1000 DAP is probably not.

That is only where I'm coming from, my perspective, so am I way off base here?

If I can find a phone that can stream audio at the quality of my xduoo x3 I'm very happy.

Interested in what others think.

Thanks

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #293 of 5,166
For reasonable price, Would recommend either V20 or G6 to you. G6 is a brighter/more clarity version of V20.

Sep 2, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #294 of 5,166
To me, when you are pushing $1000, you should expect something special. There are DAPs such as Cayin n3 or n5 that get very good reviews, the fiio x5 (reviews say it is "warm", so out of the question for me) that gets good reviews. My cheap xduoo gets great reviews, and deservedly so in my view.

So, from my perspective, comparing an "audiophile" phone to a $400-500 DAP is reasonable. Comparing it to a $1000 DAP is probably not.

That is only where I'm coming from, my perspective, so am I way off base here?

If I can find a phone that can stream audio at the quality of my xduoo x3 I'm very happy.

Interested in what others think.

Thanks

This seems very reasonable to me. If I can get sound of $500 DAP in my phone, I am sold!

Sep 2, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #295 of 5,166
Anyone else done comparisons between mid-range DAPS to HTC10, V10, V20?

Well, I'm selling my Cayin i5 and Fiio X5iii after purchasing HTC 10. Obviously the phone is a lot faster, no bugs with Neutron. And the sound is not that far away (using with amp Cayin C5) - pretty similar to be honest.

Sep 2, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #296 of 5,166
For iem alone i don't think a dap is necessary or can perform better then g6 or v20 under $500. For headphones yes smartphone doesn't have much power to be honest. A dap can provide better power but then how many people use full size headphone on the go.

Sep 2, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #297 of 5,166
Well, I'm selling my Cayin i5 and Fiio X5iii after purchasing HTC 10. Obviously the phone is a lot faster, no bugs with Neutron. And the sound is not that far away (using with amp Cayin C5) - pretty similar to be honest.

I am sure if has been done in the past, but I would love to see a chart and some head to head comparisons. I am guessing that with the launch of the V30, the V20 should go on sale soon for some good pricing. Hopefully September, but it might be in October depending on your market.

Shane D

Sep 2, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #298 of 5,166

A comparison between fiio x5 3rd gen and lg v20.

Sep 2, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #300 of 5,166

A comparison between fiio x5 3rd gen and lg v20.

That would be really interesting. I am thinking/planning on a new phone in the next couple of months.
And I just recently had a listening session with the X5iii. It got me thinking about moving the ipod, speaker docks and the Sony and maybe getting into a Fiio X5iii or possibly an X7ii next year. Just for home listening and the phone for on the move.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back