Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 29, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #271 of 5,166
Hey, Man. How are you doing? I'm currently using a M7 right now using a Philips SHE 3700 and whiling to get a Xiaomi Hybrid, not the Pro one. What do you think? If the Pro is better I could make an effort to go for it.
Also, what player do you use? Right now I'm rocking the JetAudio Basic.

Hi. never used any xiaomi phone but i dont think that it will be any better than M7 or M8. i mostly use streaming service named saavn (320 bit rate) and sound cloud for the free stuff. M7 still provides great sound quality with my Mi HD PRO tipple driver.

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #274 of 5,166
@wolfxomg

Agreed, stock OS has several annoyances but with custom ROM it's been almost flawless.

The issue I still have with mine is it will default to speaker on calls, and I have to tap on/off to go back to normal phone calls, however I've been told that this has now been fixed so I just need to update my ROM.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #276 of 5,166
User quick shortcut maker to create headset seeing shortcut and try to switch Headset to hd650. Toggle this and it triggers use of DAC. This is my observation. Everythime you play music and Google MAPS together. Sound will go down. This seems to bring it back.

Has anyone, who is an owner of the vibe x3 solved the hifi switch bug? Every time i think it's solved it just lasts a couple of days and then once again it does nothing until full reset. It is the most annoying thing ever.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #277 of 5,166
Just an observation. While we are talking about phones for great audio; it seems LG V20 and LG G6 are completely different and will give you better sound if you use high impedance headphones. They seem to work like add-on devices say DACs.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #278 of 5,166
Hi. never used any xiaomi phone but i dont think that it will be any better than M7 or M8. i mostly use streaming service named saavn (320 bit rate) and sound cloud for the free stuff. M7 still provides great sound quality with my Mi HD PRO tipple driver.

No man LOL Xiaomi Hybrid is the dual driver version of the HD Pro, that said my question was all about iems to use with the M7.
Regarding the player it seems you don't use any local storage, always streaming. I prefer the local even with only 32GB, for 320kbps MP3 it's enough. I plan to get some smartphone with microSD expansion and migrate to FLAC next year.

I still use my Xperia z!, the downside for me is that the phone speaker sound is weak and so it is difficult to view videos.

Time to upgrade, then. I read the Xperia Z5 has great sound and stereo front speakers.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #279 of 5,166
Time to upgrade, then. I read the Xperia Z5 has great sound and stereo front speakers.[/QUOTE]

Where did you read this. I had the Xperia Z5, overall a nice phone but not sound quality. And very low on power, it could only drive easy to drive iems. I often had to go on full power. Buy one of the phones mentioned on the first page. I recently bought the LG G6 for less than 400 euro :)

Aug 29, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #280 of 5,166
That does not toggle the DAC, it only changes amp output power(in my case)mine is set to ie 800. So far the only trick that would always work is holding home and saying something. Was hoping someone has solved this issue, after all this phone has been around for some time.

Aug 29, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #281 of 5,166
LG V30:
"The LG V30 also includes technology from partner company MQA Ltd. that facilitates high resolution audio streaming, the next big trend in mobile music. This allows the V30 to combine its stellar Quad DAC with MQA technology for a listening experience that will touch the heart as well as the ears. Music fans can enjoy high-resolution audio without the inconvenience of downloading huge files or using up large amounts of mobile data to get great sounding music through the V30". LG
I am a fan of MQA. I was strongly considering V30 anyway and now, with the inclusion of MQA, I am very likely to execute a purchase decision. One thing, though, is that the Tidal ap on my HTC 10 does not show a MQA option on the "Quality" menu. Initially, one big mentioned benefit of MQA was to stream high quality audio in small packet sizes. That would make it ideal for phones. But, until now I've seen no mention of phones with MQA.I guess we will wait and see.

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #282 of 5,166
Now... my 2 or 3 years hunting for compact high-end spec phone goes on but new hope is there.
Any idea how Sony Xperia XZ1 (Compact) may sound? I know Z1 and Z3 Compact had decent sound but didn't have DAC and amp. And more importantly - any idea how it may compare to Galaxy S7 Exynos (with CL DAC+amp chip)?

Aug 29, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #283 of 5,166
Where did you read this. I had the Xperia Z5, overall a nice phone but not sound quality. And very low on power, it could only drive easy to drive iems. I often had to go on full power. Buy one of the phones mentioned on the first page. I recently bought the LG G6 for less than 400 euro :)

At What HiFi?, they seem to evaluate well the sound of smartphones. They never mention output power though and I know the Xperia series aren't powerful, but for one who comes from an Xperia Z first get the Z5 is a good improvement. Also I recommended the Z5 based on the time the guy has the Z, at least it likes Sony products.

Aug 29, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #284 of 5,166
Now... my 2 or 3 years hunting for compact high-end spec phone goes on but new hope is there.
Any idea how Sony Xperia XZ1 (Compact) may sound? I know Z1 and Z3 Compact had decent sound but didn't have DAC and amp. And more importantly - any idea how it may compare to Galaxy S7 Exynos (with CL DAC+amp chip)?

Sony never put any dedicated DAC nor any on it's devices, I wouldn't expect anything by now.
I know the Exynos S7 has a CL DAC but never heard of an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back