Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Mar 8, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #4,936 of 5,189
Recently got the S23 Ultra. Used with the Focal Bathys. It seems to have a little more balanced or fuller sound compared to the Note 20 Ultra. The only thing I did noticed, the BT connection is way more stable. I've had issues with the BT phone disconnecting anything I used or went near the buildings elevators. This is also true with the Soundpeats H1s.

It appears the BT 5.3 and adaptive Aptx is working well.

Mar 8, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #4,937 of 5,189
I picked up a B-stock LG V30+ for <$60 USD on eBay a few months ago and couldn’t be more pleased. I previously used a dongle / BTR5 with my iPhone, but having a single device without any adapters, etc. has been wonderful. Easy rec for anyone who is DAP-curious but doesn’t want to spend a few hundo.

Mar 9, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #4,938 of 5,189
No, never had an LG. All I know is that it holds its own quite well against some DAPs I had before, oldish ones. Though it most probably can't compete on a purely sonic level with the more modern offerings, the convenience, screen, battery life etc. more than make up for it for me. It's not random that at the time of its release, dxomark gave it the highest score ever in audio, I'd guess.
i read that review. It says the audio relies on dsp technology, no dac and I dont what dsp is.
Ofc, the phone is not sell in France only in import so i cant try it for free but i dont think it can step up what my Vivo does.

Mar 9, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #4,939 of 5,189
Here is the link to my Xperia 10 IV. It has the best LED display I have ever seen, and I hate LED, so me praising it speaks for itself. HTC 10 wins for clarity, precision and natural timbre, 10 IV wins for bass and wider soundstage. LG V10 easily beats both in High impedance mode, but bassheads will appreciate the 10 IV. Plus, it has insane battery life and compact form factor, if that is your thing. There is literally nothing that comes close to the Sony, especially in this price range. And its audio is better than the flagship Xperia 1 IV.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...pdated-jan-2020.853115/page-317#post-17075901

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #4,940 of 5,189
Here is the link to my Xperia 10 IV. It has the best LED display I have ever seen, and I hate LED, so me praising it speaks for itself. HTC 10 wins for clarity, precision and natural timbre, 10 IV wins for bass and wider soundstage. LG V10 easily beats both in High impedance mode, but bassheads will appreciate the 10 IV. Plus, it has insane battery life and compact form factor, if that is your thing. There is literally nothing that comes close to the Sony, especially in this price range. And its audio is better than the flagship Xperia 1 IV.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...pdated-jan-2020.853115/page-317#post-17075901
I have been with the statement that impedance modes doesn't affect the sound quality and so u balance that ?

I often read in audio threat about loudness but i dont get that focus on. I mean id rather read about dynamic, details and soundstage than the aptitudes for any dap to blow humain hear out the best lol.

Mar 9, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #4,941 of 5,189
I have been with the statement that impedance modes doesn't affect the sound quality and so u balance that ?

I often read in audio threat about loudness but i dont get that focus on. I mean id rather read about dynamic, details and soundstage than the aptitudes for any dap to blow humain hear out the best lol.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying here but putting the LG phones into high impedance mode isn't just about increased volume. It changes the output impedance which changes the response of the attached headphones. This can differ from headphone
to headphone but I doubt you'll find anyone who says the change hasn't been for the better. Certainly that has been my experience with all the iems I have tried with the V10 and V30.

Mar 9, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #4,942 of 5,189
The quad DAC works in high impedance mode. The integrated Soc DAC works in normal mode. The difference is great, even on cheap headphones. It is like comparing different planets. I urge all V10 and V20 owners to buy external chargers. I have a USB charger and a wall plug charger. They take 5 hours for the Perfume battery. The slow charging compensates the battery wear when charging to 100%. Carrying a few batteries is great. I'll never worry about heat, inconvenience, percentage, healthy charging... At a time, I had 3 crappy batteries with very low life. I used them all during the day, until they stopped working. I really did use my money wisely, I guess.And a 36 ohm impedance adapter is the best solution. I used to just force aux mode with the detachable cable, but figured out that this wears off the cable socket in the headphones. And there are subtle differences that make me want to use HI instead of aux.

Mar 11, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #4,943 of 5,189

Why do you think the 10 IV sounds so much better than the 1 IV? I'm thinking it's thermal throttling issues with the 1 IV since it's a SD8G1 chipset and it's known for that. 1 V is coming soon, between May-September so I'm patiently waiting for that and holding on to my P7P with Nura USB-C transmitter for aptX Adaptive over my FoKus Pro Mystique TWS. I'm sure sound tuning has a lot to do with it in the end, not just the hardware.

Mar 11, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #4,944 of 5,189
Why do you think the 10 IV sounds so much better than the 1 IV? I'm thinking it's thermal throttling issues with the 1 IV since it's a SD8G1 chipset and it's known for that. 1 V is coming soon, between May-September so I'm patiently waiting for that and holding on to my P7P with Nura USB-C transmitter for aptX Adaptive over my FoKus Pro Mystique TWS. I'm sure sound tuning has a lot to do with it in the end, not just the hardware.
Hi, quick question, does your Nura transmitter turn off when you lock the screen? I have a P6P with the NTP and transmitter but everytime I lock my screen the music cuts out and the headphones disconnect.

Mar 11, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #4,945 of 5,189
I compared both Xperia phones in the store, they were brand new, so no throttling. Even with low-tier headphones like Focal Listen Pro and Sennheiser HD 599 SE, the big difference strikes immediately. The 10 IV clearly won from the get go, surpassed the 1 IV right away, in everything. Especially with warm analogue sound. No need for critical listening, no hunting for subtle differences. I couldn't believe it and tried to like the flagship...to no avail.
Meanwhile, I received today a battery and charger for LG V10. I didn't want to risk so much money for an extended battery from iTopzea, after the utterly awful Sporting Persistence battery. So I bought a regular 3 Ah one from iTopzea. Surprise, it is crap. Only 47% of the declared capacity. The charger is excellent. I opened a dispute on AliExpress, fingers crossed. Good thing I didn't go for the extended battery. Ciszean store also sells iTopzea and I suppose the batteries are exactly the same. Although I remember good reviews for Ciszean from other forums. Owners of LG V10 and V20, do you have any experience on the matter?

Mar 11, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #4,946 of 5,189
Sounds like the Sony 10 IV inherited the audio tuning/ capabilities of the 1 MK3. :)
That was the first thing that stood out to me after changing from V30 to 1 III.
Missed the power of the V30, thou. ^^
The 1 III can't even power my FiiO FD5/7 properly.
But these FiiO sound wonderful out of the Sony, despite the lack of power/ adequate volume.

Mar 12, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #4,947 of 5,189
This may very well be the case. Surprising...109db/1mW at 32 Ohm sounds quite easy to drive. I never heard the MK3, but the warm, rich bass of the 10 IV slightly reminds me of the planar thump, although not quite there yet. Someone saying that the phone is the worst... would be of great help if he clarifies why. Meanwhile, I ordered the KZ PR1 PRO planars at $ 74 after struggling with the Gear Acquisition Syndrome for a few nights. I couldn't resist, although some people claim to have paid half of that. Fingers crossed...

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #4,948 of 5,189
This may very well be the case. Surprising...109db/1mW at 32 Ohm sounds quite easy to drive. I never heard the MK3, but the warm, rich bass of the 10 IV slightly reminds me of the planar thump, although not quite there yet. Someone saying that the phone is the worst... would be of great help if he clarifies why. Meanwhile, I ordered the KZ PR1 PRO planars at $ 74 after struggling with the Gear Acquisition Syndrome for a few nights. I couldn't resist, although some people claim to have paid half of that. Fingers crossed...
Yes, it sounds very easy.
Unfortunately, the output power of the 1 III is quite low.

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #4,949 of 5,189
The quad DAC works in high impedance mode. The integrated Soc DAC works in normal mode. The difference is great, even on cheap headphones. It is like comparing different planets. I urge all V10 and V20 owners to buy external chargers. I have a USB charger and a wall plug charger. They take 5 hours for the Perfume battery. The slow charging compensates the battery wear when charging to 100%. Carrying a few batteries is great. I'll never worry about heat, inconvenience, percentage, healthy charging... At a time, I had 3 crappy batteries with very low life. I used them all during the day, until they stopped working. I really did use my money wisely, I guess.And a 36 ohm impedance adapter is the best solution. I used to just force aux mode with the detachable cable, but figured out that this wears off the cable socket in the headphones. And there are subtle differences that make me want to use HI instead of aux.
The Quad DAC works in every mode as long as you turn it on in LG's customized sound settings. Modes (normal, Aux, High Impedance) differ by how much output they give out. You can even toggle it in normal mode and hear it for yourself. It has somewhat more power in normal mode than SoC DAC, and recognizable different tuning, so you can tell right away.
There are mods for LG V series to toggle on high impedance mode permanently like discussed here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/fix-high-impedance-mode-all-the-time.3729043/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back