Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 17, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #227 of 5,167
A resistor cannot boost power.
I know that, false wording on my part, what I want to know is it the same as selecting the hd650 in settings or the headset settings don't actually put it into high impedance mode?

Aug 17, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #228 of 5,167
The original post and thread is great and I thank you all for all the help, but I still have 2 questions and I'm sorry if it's been talked about it before but the thread is also a bit overwhelming.

First, which of those Smartphone DACs can drive high impedance headphones? More specifically 250 Ohm.I use a pair of DT880 right now and I would love to get it running at a good volume on the phone too. I'm currently using a FiiO E10k on my computer to drive them and I'm always on High Gain at about 4-6 volume if not even more depending on the track.

Second of all, a question not that much related to audio, which of the smartphones that could drive high impedance Headphones also have really good ROM support? I love tweaking with ROMs to get the best performance out of my phone.

Much appreciated.

Aug 17, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #229 of 5,167
The original post and thread is great and I thank you all for all the help, but I still have 2 questions and I'm sorry if it's been talked about it before but the thread is also a bit overwhelming.

First, which of those Smartphone DACs can drive high impedance headphones? More specifically 250 Ohm.I use a pair of DT880 right now and I would love to get it running at a good volume on the phone too. I'm currently using a FiiO E10k on my computer to drive them and I'm always on High Gain at about 4-6 volume if not even more depending on the track.

Second of all, a question not that much related to audio, which of the smartphones that could drive high impedance Headphones also have really good ROM support? I love tweaking with ROMs to get the best performance out of my phone.

Much appreciated.

V20 or G6

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #231 of 5,167

Much appreciated.

As mentioned above, LG V20 or LG G6. I just got the G6 and it drives my DT 1990 250 ohm with authority. I have not been above 70 % volume. For high impedance phones the G6 is a step up compared to the LG V10 and HTC 10. I am impressed by the G6, its a damn fine phone :)

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #232 of 5,167
One of my friend buys pro5 and after that he wants to challenge by buying cayin n3 as an upgrade. After few days, he sold DAP off.

Another one buy v20 and after a while he buys fiio x5iii and then after 2 weeks, he sells fiio out and said it is not necessary for him, v20 is enough and more convenient. He asked me if which DAP will impress him so I suggest DX200. He love it and said that is really clear upgrade to his smartphone.

Hope this help you decide. :)

I'm in a bit opposite situation where I own "musical" phone - MX4 Pro and I'm wondering about getting DAP. Phone is outdated a bit with very little updates coming its way (still running A6.0) and I could use some extra storage. I was thinking about getting Cayin N3, from the other hand the money it costs I could use to get Tidal HIFI subscription for 6 months.

Anyway, I used to own FiiO X3 (1st and 2nd gen) and X5. I have to say sound quality wise this phone is not worse than DAPs that I used to own

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #233 of 5,167
Thank you

Aug 18, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #234 of 5,167
Hello,
I haven't been here for a last half of the year. Is there anything new not bigger than Galaxy S7 (standard, not edge) in dimensions (preferably smaller) with dedicated DAC and high end specs? Because S7 ticks all the boxes for me yet this Cirrus DAC/amp chip doesn't convince me in 100%...

Aug 18, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #235 of 5,167
Hello,
I haven't been here for a last half of the year. Is there anything new not bigger than Galaxy S7 (standard, not edge) in dimensions (preferably smaller) with dedicated DAC and high end specs? Because S7 ticks all the boxes for me yet this Cirrus DAC/amp chip doesn't convince me in 100%...

If you search a bit it's not difficult to find :). Though it's difficult to find smaller if you want high spec.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8466&idPhone2=7821

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #236 of 5,167
Hello,
The Lg Q8,vivo xplay 6

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #238 of 5,167
If you search a bit it's not difficult to find :). Though it's difficult to find smaller if you want high spec.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8466&idPhone2=7821

The Lg Q8,vivo xplay 6

All of them are WAY too big for me :) S7's 142x62mm is really max, even a little bit too much for me. So it's been pain in a** for years now, to find such a phone... My cousin just bought iPhone 7 and it's pretty spot on in terms of size for me (+ pretty nice CL DACs from what I remember) but I'm just alergic to Apple beside other flaws (no mSD, iOS instead of Android).

Aug 18, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #239 of 5,167
All of them are WAY too big for me :) S7's 142x62mm is really max, even a little bit too much for me. So it's been pain in a** for years now, to find such a phone... My cousin just bought iPhone 7 and it's pretty spot on in terms of size for me (+ pretty nice CL DACs from what I remember) but I'm just alergic to Apple beside other flaws (no mSD, iOS instead of Android).

I think you will have to make some kind of compromise :). Sony will probably release a compact version this fall with high specs, but not audio quality, so you will have to stack. Maybe a Mojo or similar quality DAC.

Acording to these specs the HTC 10 is only slightly bigger than the S7 and it's and excellent phone. http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7884&idPhone2=7821

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #240 of 5,167
How about axon7 mini or G6 mini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back