Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Aug 8, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #1,669 of 5,168
Posted this in the V20 thread but I wanna get opinions here too. I just updated my v20 to 8.0 oreo and the sound quality has taken a pretty big hit atleast to my ears. I'm using spotify premium and RE EQ but even with the EQ app turned off, something isnt right, the sound has become flat/lost it's dynamics.

Am I crazy or had anyone else experienced this?

Aug 9, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #1,673 of 5,168
LG Hifi Plus AFD-1200 at $47.9 on ebay won't be a wrong choice.

This little lg dac sounds great i use it in my pc (sinn7 diebox 5 set with dersub 10) now replacing my "vintage" maudio 2496 card until i get a better soundcard. (Asus essence stx ii) .i used it also with some phones that i have improvement is great . And it supports i think dsd

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #1,675 of 5,168
Silly question maybe, but here goes.

95% or more of my music listening is streaming to my phone. Currently I use Rhapsody\Napster set to 'best quality' (320kbps AAC).

Do Android phones like the LG V30 that have good built-in DACs route streaming music from the streaming app through the DAC? Or do they only send music that is played through a standalone music player on the phone through the DAC?

In other words, if I had an Android phone with a good DAC, like an LG V30, would music streamed through the streaming app, or music downloaded from and played through the streaming app, play through the phone's DAC?

Thanks!

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #1,676 of 5,168
It's really disheartening to see even in 2018-19 even when so much development going on in phone , even category of new gaming segment has been open with liquid cooling and all.... Only few... Very few are there standing for audio, even jacks getting vanished .

Its sad, So sad It's a sad sad situation

Aug 11, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #1,677 of 5,168
It's really disheartening to see even in 2018-19 even when so much development going on in phone , even category of new gaming segment has been open with liquid cooling and all.... Only few... Very few are there standing for audio, even jacks getting vanished .

Its sad, So sad It's a sad sad situation
So true. Either most people don't have a f-ing idea about audio or companies don't realize they have an important potential market around music.

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #1,678 of 5,168
Silly question maybe, but here goes.

95% or more of my music listening is streaming to my phone. Currently I use Rhapsody\Napster set to 'best quality' (320kbps AAC).

Do Android phones like the LG V30 that have good built-in DACs route streaming music from the streaming app through the DAC? Or do they only send music that is played through a standalone music player on the phone through the DAC?

In other words, if I had an Android phone with a good DAC, like an LG V30, would music streamed through the streaming app, or music downloaded from and played through the streaming app, play through the phone's DAC?

Thanks!

Yes all apps work.

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #1,679 of 5,168
I believe there will be only 2 brands for audiophile smartphones from now on.

lg still on going uses quad dac advertise their quality sound production.

Vivo is one of few chinese smartphone that still cares on improving sound from smartphone as their standpoint.

Meizu goes to camera phone route, oppo goes to full screen route, other veterans like htc, letv,axon has ditched 3.5 jack.

Now it will be a time for bluetooth dac, usb dac and android dap if you are serious on audio rather than going to smartphone as an all in one device.

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #1,680 of 5,168
I believe there will be only 2 brands for audiophile smartphones from now on.

lg still on going uses quad dac advertise their quality sound production.

Vivo is one of few chinese smartphone that still cares on improving sound from smartphone as their standpoint.

Meizu goes to camera phone route, oppo goes to full screen route, other veterans like htc, letv,axon has ditched 3.5 jack.

Now it will be a time for bluetooth dac, usb dac and android dap if you are serious on audio rather than going to smartphone as an all in one device.

I've recently sold my V20. It started having a terrible image retention, terrible battery life, performance issues. Before that, LG G3 failed due to motherboard soldering issues. So I am done with LG. Vivo is a compromise due to software and import fees...

In the end, I agree that smartphone audio is pretty much dead; that is, it's going to take a new shape with external DACs. Alternatively, Shanling M0 player will have an update so that you can control it with a smartphone via bluetooth. Upcoming Hidizs AP80 is probably going to be amazing as well with same functionality. I think that now is the time to buy a budget dap because they appear to be a sollution - get a better phone not caring about its headphone jack or whatever while maintaining a very good separate small audio device for 100-150$ more.

Sometimes we are forced to concede, except that maybe now it's for the better due to new solid options in portable audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back