Best small portable amp under $120?
Oct 17, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #16 of 28
Mini^3
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #17 of 28
The picture below shows 4 portable amps that I recently compared. Use it for size comparison, the amps shown are: Go-Vibe V7 above a MiniBox-e and an UHA-3 above a Rockhopper Mini^3. Remember to click on the thumbnail to view the full size picture.

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That could be very nice with my new Nano Vid strapped to it and may match up perfectly with a YoTank case on my Nano:)

THX for the reference photo shomie:wink:

Your welcome.

It should be small enough (with the Nano and the Minibox-E) to fit in your pocket easily while being only slightly thicker than a 4th Gen. Ipod and just a little bit wider.

Oct 18, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #19 of 28
I just got my maxed out mini^3 with insane parts (Though some would say not good since some larger than recommended parts were used) the cost in parts alone was like 130 bucks. And it smokes anything I've heard. I've heard the Tomahawk/Hornet/SR-71/TTVJ Millet portable hybrid and none of them can really touch this though the TTVJ Millet Hybrid was simply a different kind of sound but imo I vastly prefer this sound.

Not to mention it feels so much better built than the TTVJ.

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my maxed out mini^3 with insane parts (Though some would say not good since some larger than recommended parts were used) the cost in parts alone was like 130 bucks. And it smokes anything I've heard. I've heard the Tomahawk/Hornet/SR-71/TTVJ Millet portable hybrid and none of them can really touch this though the TTVJ Millet Hybrid was simply a different kind of sound but imo I vastly prefer this sound.

Not to mention it feels so much better built than the TTVJ.

Did you max it out yourself or is there someone who does it? What did they put into it?
Also is there any difference with putting in a battery with 325mah besides slightly longer battery? I read that the Accupower 270mah AMB recommends actually runs at 9.2v instead of 8.4v on normal 9v nimh batteries so wondering if the extra voltage actually makes any difference in the sound.

Oct 18, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your welcome.

It should be small enough (with the Nano and the Minibox-E) to fit in your pocket easily while being only slightly thicker than a 4th Gen. Ipod and just a little bit wider.

Sweet shomie, I can't imagine any combo being smaller than the little Ibasso strapped to a first gen Nano! Seems that setup would fit in a shirt pocket with ease! Now I guess I'm going to have to break down and get both the MiniBox 3 & Mini^3:-0 My wallet's like the titanic wading through the waters of Head-Fi
eek.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #23 of 28
Head-Fi has a bad habit of relieving you of your extra cash
580smile.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there any difference with putting in a battery with 325mah besides slightly longer battery? I read that the Accupower 270mah AMB recommends actually runs at 9.2v instead of 8.4v on normal 9v nimh batteries so wondering if the extra voltage actually makes any difference in the sound.

The most important factor to consider is fitment in the Mini³. The Accupower 270 battery fits well in the case but many other batteries won't.

The higher the mAH rating, the longer the run-time per charge. But, some batteries on the market don't live up to their advertised ratings, so beware.

9.6V (8-cell) batteries allow a hair more amplifier output swing capability than 8.4V (7-cell) ones, but the difference is very small (about 1dB). But usually battery capacity (mAH) is sacrificed for the extra cell.

Other than that, there is no "sound quality" difference between the different NiMH batteries.

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I notice a lot of people out here avoid C&C or jump right to another amp ie. MiniBox-E or Mini^3.

Is the C&C Box+ just not much of an amp or what am I missing? Size looks perfect and it would sem you get a boatload of adjustments to cater to taste/sound?

If so, it's with no reason. C&C BOX V2 is great (I have it); BOX+ is even better. And it's a very practical portable amp, as you noted.

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #27 of 28
im using it to power my K601s and its pretty hard to imagine what the more expensive amp will do for me because this little guy (smaller than a pack of cigarettes) already does everything i need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back