Best Schiit Stack?
Oct 4, 2017 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

NJMevec

New Head-Fier
Recently I upgraded my Astro A40s to Sennheiser 558s with a Blue Yeti for the mic. I'm still using the "wonderful" MIXAMP Pro from Astro, which I better, nominally, than the on board audio of my motherboard. My brother let me test his Schiit Modi 2/Magni 3 stack with my 558s and it was a night and day difference. Now if I want the best performance would adding the Wyrd USB "Decrappifier" to that improve sound any if at all? I do plan on upgrading headphones in the future, possibly to a pair of Fostex wood backed headphones. Not sure yet, but I want to get the best stack for the money.

For sure purchase:
Schiit Modi 2 Multibit
Schiit Magni 3

Unsure:
Schiit Wyrd

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 18
I don't know many audiophiles who bother with the Wyrd, typically usb doesn't have issues so at least to me it's a waste of money that could go toward gear that makes more of a difference

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 18
I don't know many audiophiles who bother with the Wyrd, typically usb doesn't have issues so at least to me it's a waste of money that could go toward gear that makes more of a difference

That's what I assumed just figured I'd throw it out as a question. Answers can always be surprising

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 18
The Wyrd can improve the sound quality of your system even if you don't have USB noise issues, but it's only a slight improvement in my experience, and some may not hear a difference.

DACs and amps don't make nearly as much difference as a major headphone (or speaker) upgrade can. The Modi Multibit is the best DAC I've heard at its price point, but I'd put that money toward your headphone budget at first.

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 18
That's what I assumed just figured I'd throw it out as a question. Answers can always be surprising
Fair enough! The new equalizer looks cool though, if I had 2 separate units I may have thrown that in between em for easy adjustments on the fly!

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 18
The Wyrd can improve the sound quality of your system even if you don't have USB noise issues, but it's only a slight improvement in my experience, and some may not hear a difference.

DACs and amps don't make nearly as much difference as a major headphone (or speaker) upgrade can. The Modi Multibit is the best DAC I've heard at its price point, but I'd put that money toward your headphone budget at first.
A new amp can also have a huge impact... when I switched from my denon avr to an anthem integrated the immediate improvement to bass and body and depth was astounding. When I get my schiit yggrisdal into my chain I actually think I'll get an even bigger leap in quality than the amp! Well have to see but I think the dac inside my denon avr (which I'm still using as a preamp) is hot garbage.

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 18
A new amp can also have a huge impact... when I switched from my denon avr to an anthem integrated the immediate improvement to bass and body and depth was astounding. When I get my schiit yggrisdal into my chain I actually think I'll get an even bigger leap in quality than the amp! Well have to see but I think the dac inside my denon avr (which I'm still using as a preamp) is hot garbage.

I got bigger improvements with DACs (than amps) as well. (Especially high-end ones.) But it's nothing compared to a transducer upgrade.

Passive preamps are the way to go, in my opinion, since they don't alter the signal aside from attenuating it.

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 18
I got bigger improvements with DACs (than amps) as well. (Especially high-end ones.) But it's nothing compared to a transducer upgrade.

Passive preamps are the way to go, in my opinion, since they don't alter the signal aside from attenuating it.
Alas my anthem has some beefy circuitry and stuff going on even in the preamp side of things... if I were to introduce say a passive preamp in my chain what would it actually do? Like say the schiit one (I've forgotten the name of it now)

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 18
Alas my anthem has some beefy circuitry and stuff going on even in the preamp side of things... if I were to introduce say a passive preamp in my chain what would it actually do? Like say the schiit one (I've forgotten the name of it now)

We're getting a bit off-topic, so I'm taking this to PM, since I'd already randomly messaged you anyway. :sunglasses:

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 18
Ramble on I'm so new to this stuff the only brand I know and trust at the moment is Schiit because of my first hand experience and hearing people say that it's the best for the money
And I also really only know what the DAC and Amp are. Once you get into linear power supplies and pre amps and usb signal cleaners and whoosits and whatsits I'm lost. Definitely gonna need to do some looking around on here!

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #13 of 18
Ramble on I'm so new to this stuff the only brand I know and trust at the moment is Schiit because of my first hand experience and hearing people say that it's the best for the money
And I also really only know what the DAC and Amp are. Once you get into linear power supplies and pre amps and usb signal cleaners and whoosits and whatsits I'm lost. Definitely gonna need to do some looking around on here!

Alrighty. A passive preamp has no electronics and attenuates the signal (ie adjusts the volume) without altering it like active electronics potentially can, so it gives you the highest degree of accuracy.

The SYS also lets you switch between components. (The default is two inputs and one output, but you can also do one input and two outputs.)

Schiit's higher-end preamps have both passive and active modes. They also have stepped attenuators, so you don't have to worry about the scratching noise the potentiometer in the SYS can make.

As far as connections go, it's pretty simple: the preamp is between the DAC and the amp. (The Wyrd would be between the computer and the DAC.)

If you are only using headphones (no speakers) and don't want to switch between components at the push of a button, you don't need a product like the SYS. (Hence the off-topic.)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #14 of 18
Alrighty. A passive preamp has no electronics and attenuates the signal (ie adjusts the volume) without altering it like active electronics potentially can, so it gives you the highest degree of accuracy.

The SYS also lets you switch between components. (The default is two inputs and one output, but you can also do one input and two outputs.)

Schiit's higher-end preamps have both passive and active modes. They also have stepped attenuators, so you don't have to worry about the scratching noise the potentiometer in the SYS can make.

As far as connections go, it's pretty simple: the preamp is between the DAC and the amp. (The Wyrd would be between the computer and the DAC.)

If you are only using headphones (no speakers) and don't want to switch between components at the push of a button, you don't need a product like the SYS. (Hence the off-topic.)
Actually that clears quite a bit up thank you! Eventually something like the SYS would be nice but while in college where my room is either down the hall from my sleeping parents or shared by a roommate, headphones are it for me. Definitely a wealth of knowledge on here I'll probably spend a few hours reading tonight alone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back