Best restaurant in New York
Jul 17, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #16 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by drlee27
I'm going to New York next week for the very first time; unfortunately I will only be staying for one day. I would like to go the best restaurant for fine dining or steaks. Any suggestions, guys?

I agree that the best steaks in NYC probably are at Luger's. S&W has experienced a rather precipitous decline over the last decade. If you want a steakhouse that doesn't have the typical steakhouse ambience, you might try Dylan Prime.

Finally, if you just want an overall wonderful dining experience, you can't go wrong with a Danny Meyer Restaurant: Union Square Cafe, Gramercy Tavern, 11 Madison, etc.

Please do not go to Tavern on the Green.

Jul 17, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #17 of 65
All great suggestions.

BTW, this week is 'Restaurant Week' in NYC. It can be hard to find a Res. Try www.opentable.com for on-line reservations.

What are you looking for?

Full blow out: Per Se

Steak: Agree Peter Lugar is the best, but there are new offshoots in the city. Wolfgang's is one of the best ones. Another great steak place is CraftSteak. It has both grass- and grain- fed beef. I'd recommend it over Wolfgang's in a sec.

Fish: Milo's (another blow out)

Other very good (somewhat less expensive): Hearth (sit on the line), AquaGrill, Town

I live in NYC. PM me if you want to talk more.

Jul 17, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #18 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Finally, if you just want an overall wonderful dining experience, you can't go wrong with a Danny Meyer Restaurant: Union Square Cafe, Gramercy Tavern, 11 Madison, etc.

This is my wife's choice. She loves the seafood dishes at these places, but I had a steak (with Sofrito!) at the union square cafe that was really great. It doesn't hurt that it's right across the street from Sound by Singer so you can get some Grado listening in beforehand!

Jul 17, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #19 of 65
I hope the right man* for this will manifest himself....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

* http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/member.php?u=29058

Jul 17, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #20 of 65
Oooh, NY restaurants -- my favorite topic!!!

For steak, Luger's is great. But honestly, for fine dining, I'd look elsewhere.

My favorites (and I haven't been there in over a year, so I don't know what's still open):

Bouley
Daniel
Nobu
Le Bernardin (spectacular seafood)

Craft
Gramercy Tavern
Union Square

Jul 17, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #21 of 65
bangpod is the man to talk to also.. for the young brat he is, he seems to have eaten at all of the best places, and has quite a knowledge about over priced, fancy grub ; )

Jul 18, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #23 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard
Daniel
Le Bernardin (spectacular seafood)

I must agree with these, esp. Le Bernadin for the best seafood in NYC. Truly a marvelous place.

Also, I haven't been in years, but The Four Seasons is an experience.

Jul 18, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #24 of 65
Peter Lunger is awesome, but generally you need reservations well in advance -- at least you did a couple of years ago when I live in NYC. Also, if you don't like buttery steaks (freak!
smily_headphones1.gif
), I'd go somewhere else.

Sparks and Smith & Wollensky are good alternatives.

Aside from steak places, here are my favorite "fancy restaurants" in no particular order: Jean Georges, Mesa Grill, Gramercy Tavern, and Nobu. I'm sure there are others that would make my list...

Quote:

Originally Posted by drlee27
I'm going to New York next week for the very first time; unfortunately I will only be staying for one day. I would like to go the best restaurant for fine dining or steaks. Any suggestions, guys?

Jul 18, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #26 of 65
another vote for Peter Luger in Williamsburg Brooklyn, best steak i ever had!

for fresh seafood, i like Aquagrill on the corner of Spring Street and 6th Avenue.

upscale stuff... La Bernardin, Gotham Grill, Aquavit, Blue Water Grill, etc...

more common fare... Carmine's for family style Southern Italian, Max's for homestyle Italian, Yama's for sushi, Go for sushi, Geido (in Brooklyn) for sushi, yeah... i like sushi.

oh, and Veniero's for dessert! and Junior's just for their cheesecake!

Jul 18, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
Yama's for sushi, and Veniero's for dessert!

Heck yeah! Yama lays down giant quality slabs on the cheap, and if you want ambience, go to the Yama at Union Square - it's in the basement of Washington Irving's house (The Headless Horseman and Rip Van Winkle author).

And Veniero's makes the best pastry. 'nuff said.

Jul 19, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #28 of 65
hehe... great minds think alike, Jahn.
wink.gif

also, for pizza you can't beat Lombardi's or John's. after all these years i still haven't tried Grimaldi's but i hear it's good, maybe even better than Lombardi's.

oh, and how about Chinatown Ice Cream Factory? mmm... lychee ice cream!

oh, and Cupcake Factory... rich dense cupcakes with an even richer butter cream frosting. i'll take these over Magnolia's any day.

Jul 19, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #29 of 65
muAHAHA i had Lombardi's deliver all the way down here for the NYC meet - they gnoshed on the Real Thing on Sunday!

and yeah, i can't get enough of the Lychee Ice Cream from the chinatown IC factory yum!

Jul 19, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #30 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
muAHAHA i had Lombardi's deliver all the way down here for the NYC meet - they gnoshed on the Real Thing on Sunday!

and yeah, i can't get enough of the Lychee Ice Cream from the chinatown IC factory yum!

damn... i so wanted to come last sunday but i had previous engagements.
frown.gif
but wow, Lombardi's and head-fi, that's cool.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back