Best restaurant in New York
Jul 17, 2006 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

drlee27

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to New York next week for the very first time; unfortunately I will only be staying for one day. I would like to go the best restaurant for fine dining or steaks. Any suggestions, guys?

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 65
i think IMHO is the man you want to speak with as his husband is a chef.

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
i think IMHO is the man you want to speak with as his husband is a chef.

Yup, and he eats at all the great restaurants from what I hear due to his job which involves lots of travelling..

Although in New York, you could probably get a steak for a few thousand dollars or something, LOL.

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 65
Food or atmosphere? Tavern on the Green (atmosphere) and Le Cirque (food) are among the best I've had the pleasure to experience. They also used to serve a nice plate of chow at the Helmsley Palace.

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 65
Nobu. Love that place. Steaks? Head to Brooklyn for Peter Luger's. Sad to say, I've been waiting for 1911 to come visit to blow cash there, but as he's never going to visit apparently, I get to save my ducats.

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 65
I'm getting a chopped liver on rye at Katz's and at Carnegie's when I go to see who has the best chopped liver in NY. If you have other suggestions for better chopped liver, I'm all ears........

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Nobu. Love that place. Steaks? Head to Brooklyn for Peter Luger's. Sad to say, I've been waiting for 1911 to come visit to blow cash there, but as he's never going to visit apparently, I get to save my ducats.

lies all lies! i saw the website and peter lugers looks like a dump. the man asked for classy dining. he wants the russian tea room.
i will come to new york once i get my bladder retrained.
cheers

Jul 17, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 65
Quote:

lies all lies! i saw the website and peter lugers looks like a dump. the man asked for classy dining. he wants the russian tea room.
i will come to new york once i get my bladder retrained.
cheers

A dump? Far from it. Not someplace for the ladies, but one of the finest steakhouses on the planet.

Russian Tea Room, Tavern on the Green .... geez, I haven't lived in NYC for 8 years, but both of those places just suck. Nice ambiance, generic food.

Nobu should still be great. Lespinasse and Boule should still also be fine dining establishments. My italian favorites were Il Nido, Il Mulino and Harry Cipriani's, but I'm not sure if they are still around.

Jul 17, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #11 of 65
I think the Russian Tea Room is closed.

Po is my favorite inexpensive, good food place. Opulence and class are different things, I think. I don't have any suggestions for opulent places. But I would guess somewhere like Le Cirque. There's also that restuarant at Columbus Circle on the ground floor of the Trump building. I can't remember the name.

Most of these really fancy joints require some pretty advanced reservations, though.

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 65
Quote:

lies all lies! i saw the website and peter lugers looks like a dump. the man asked for classy dining.

a dump? that's what i get for trying to be nice. next time you're in town 1911, I'm going to take you to Tad's Steaks and you're going to LOVE IT.

Jul 17, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
a dump? that's what i get for trying to be nice. next time you're in town 1911, I'm going to take you to Tad's Steaks and you're going to LOVE IT.

mmmm. 4 dollar sirloin in times square? now that what i am talking about! good find jahn!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back