Best restaurant in New York
Jul 20, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #46 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Wise words. I grew up eating H&H. Then my wife showed me the light. ess-a is the best.

Tal Bagel is my personal favorite. i prefer it to ess-a

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #48 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
I love how this conversation is ignoring asian food... (other than sushi)...

Read through again, there have been several Asian, non-sushi suggestions.

Jul 20, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #49 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
Tal Bagel is my personal favorite. i prefer it to ess-a

i'm not familiar with them. more info please.

Jul 20, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #50 of 65
Best is subjective to taste. Try it out for yourself and compare.

Best Pizza I've tried yet: Lombardi's on Spring Street. Thanks to Jahn for introducing their pizza to me. L&B Spumoni Gardens in Brooklyn makes the best sicilians I've tried yet (and probably wont be beat).

Jul 20, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #51 of 65
I am a New York City fanatic. I live about three hours away and I visit any chance that I get. I have accumulated many great memories of experiences in New York City. I stumbled onto this thread today and have learned a lot. I can't wait to try some of the eateries that have been mentioned. I have never focused on eating when in New York City, however, I will say that IMHO the Carnegie Deli is way overrated. If you like Manhattan's try "Kenn's Broome Street Bar." [Broome St. and West Broadway] Ask for Kevin to make it! They also have several good sandwich choices...a really nice corner pub in Soho.

Jul 20, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #52 of 65
okay, answer me this...where do you guys go for good mexican in the city?

i've been spoiled from living in southern california for a few years so i've been extremely disappointed with all the mexican restaurants i've been to here in nyc.

Jul 20, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #53 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek
i'm not familiar with them. more info please.

they've only been around for 10-15 years (but a wee-lad in ny appetizing years)... people tend to gravitate toward old stand-bys like H&H and Ess-a, which is perfectly understandable as both make a damn good bagel. but ever since Tal opened on the UWS, they've had my loyalty.

i know of three outposts: one on the UWS (broadway/90th), one on the UES (86th/1st) and one in midtown, somewhere in the 50's.

the bagels are ALWAYS fresh, with a good crunchy outside and not too thick/dense/doughy on the inside. the whitefish salad is easily as good as Barney Greengrass, and they have things like tofu sour cream.

i've never tried their other baked/prepared goods, but i thinkt the bagels are among the best in town, if not THE best.

Jul 20, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #54 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by cazoo
okay, answer me this...where do you guys go for good mexican in the city?

i've been spoiled from living in southern california for a few years so i've been extremely disappointed with all the mexican restaurants i've been to here in nyc.

for upscale Mexican, nothing beats Maya on the UES.

there's also Zocalo, but i usually just go there for the cocktails.

as far as down n dirty mexican fare, i've found it's a bit hard to come by, although there are the decent burrito joints like Benny's and Burritoville.

Jul 21, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #55 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
they've only been around for 10-15 years (but a wee-lad in ny appetizing years)... people tend to gravitate toward old stand-bys like H&H and Ess-a, which is perfectly understandable as both make a damn good bagel. but ever since Tal opened on the UWS, they've had my loyalty.

i know of three outposts: one on the UWS (broadway/90th), one on the UES (86th/1st) and one in midtown, somewhere in the 50's.

the bagels are ALWAYS fresh, with a good crunchy outside and not too thick/dense/doughy on the inside. the whitefish salad is easily as good as Barney Greengrass, and they have things like tofu sour cream.

i've never tried their other baked/prepared goods, but i thinkt the bagels are among the best in town, if not THE best.

ha! thanks for the info. the one on the uws is in my old bldg, which i stopped by sunday on the way home from the meet to visit an old audio buddy (he's not a headphone guy though.). i actually did go into tals, just didn't remember the name, and bought some lox there. after that i went on over to the hungarian pastry shop for some hummentashen. had to finish off a tasty day with some tasty eats!
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #56 of 65
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I made a reservation for a table in Peter Luger's but the the New York traffic did not allow me to get there in my schedule, so I ended up going to the Bobby Van steakhouse. Their porterhouse steaks are very good. Peter Luger's has a website; you can actually order the steak online and they will ship it to you for a lot of $$$$$.

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #57 of 65
It’s kind of a bad question because everyone has different tastes.

A pet peeve of mine is that steak is a common topic when it comes New York. The thing is that you can find excellent steak in most major cities in America so looking for great steaks in NYC is silly unless if you’re not an adventurous eater and you like predictable style food.

THAT SAID, if I were to recommend a steak house, I would recommend Keens Steak House and you must get the legendary And famous Lamb Chops. Also known as the mutton chop. This is probably the most respected meat dish among the most experienced NYC food aficionados. The lamb chop is the dish that pretty much all the NYC steak aficionados agree on even though it’s not beef.

Lastly, Keens Steak House has been around since 1885 so you also get the history vibe too and if you have the money, they have probably the best or among the best Scotch Whiskey list with lots of rare bottles for the deep in the woods Scotch aficionados.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #58 of 65
I also want to add that one of the best kept “secrets” in New York Is the local Puerto Rican, Dominican and Latin American food. Normally the guide books don’t mention this because these places are not in the popular tourist areas but if you go outside the main areas, you will find them . These are the types of places Anthony Bourdain would visit as he would hunt for undiscovered city gems.

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #60 of 65
I’ve been to Katz deli a bunch of times. Most people don’t know this but they actually make their own hotdogs (the actual sausage). Very unusual for a restaurant but it’s a good thing. And I consider their hotdogs to be among the best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back