Best replacement cable for HD650?
Dec 12, 2003 at 3:43 AM Post #31 of 48
Originally posted by Brandon_Ottawa
BTW...I thought they fixed the ZU connector problem. I was upset that I had to wiggle the connectors in and out until finally some of the HD650 plastic was worn away enough that I could pop the connectors in place.

eek.gif
I read peoples enthusiasm towards this cable, but I dont even want to try one until they get the connectors sized right.

Dec 12, 2003 at 3:56 AM Post #32 of 48
Originally posted by sacd lover
Quote:

BTW...I thought they fixed the ZU connector problem. I was upset that I had to wiggle the connectors in and out until finally some of the HD650 plastic was worn away enough that I could pop the connectors in place.

eek.gif
I read peoples enthusiasm towards this cable, but I dont even want to try one until they get the connectors sized right.

As a side note...

The guys at Zu impressed the socks off me. They upgraded my shipping method to FedEX priority for free and I received the cable pronto.

Dec 12, 2003 at 6:29 AM Post #33 of 48
I did a direct A/B with two 580's last week. Three cables, the Equinox, Clou Blue and stock. Compared to the two aftermarket cables, the stock just sounded flat and harsh (still not bad though). My Clou added a certain edge to the music, especially the treble. The Equinox had a very sweet and full midrange and deep bass while keeping the "Sennheiser" signature sound.

Dec 12, 2003 at 10:44 AM Post #34 of 48
Originally posted by sacd lover
Quote:

eek.gif

That is exactlly the reason I preordered moon's silver dragon - I don't want to damage my beautiful pair of HD650
biggrin.gif
, the silver dragon has a cardas connector which fits perfectly to the HD650 ( BTW, Tuberoller found the silver dragon to be equally good as the Zu, if not better, I hope
600smile.gif
).

Dec 12, 2003 at 2:16 PM Post #35 of 48
I havn't heard the hd650or any of these cables, but im 90% sure I'll buy an hd 650 in the next week. should I wait on the replacement cable for a while? or should i just go for one without hearing the stock cable? I have the money for a replacement, but I want it to fit properly and be a clear improvement over stock. I have a sony ns500v and an xp-7. Thanks,

Dec 12, 2003 at 3:51 PM Post #36 of 48
Just my €0.02,

I think you don't have to be in a hurry for an aftermarket cable. IMO this is the last thing to buy after some good source/amp/IC upgrade.
Take the time to enjoy your HD-650 with stock cable, save for a better source, good IC cable and you will appreciate the phone cable improvement even more!.

Dec 12, 2003 at 4:20 PM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

I had no problems with my ZU (I bought it less than a month ago) fitting my HD600's. My 600's had the ribs/nubs on the inside of the socket for the headphone connectors too. It fit tightly, but it was a perfect fit. No wiggling required. A very solid connection.

I guess Sennheiser made the opening even smaller with the 650?

-Ed

Dec 12, 2003 at 5:20 PM Post #38 of 48
you can email Adam at Zu Cable and check, but I think the problem has been solved. If your not happy with the fit he will return your money. The ZU cable is soooo perfect with the HD650. Hearing is believing.

Dec 12, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #39 of 48
My dad recently purchased the HD-650 to replace his HD-600, and he also bought a bunch of cables to try with the new cans. After 150+ hrs. burn-in, he transferred his Cardas from the 600 to the 650. He also tried his Equinox and Moon Silver Dragon. A week later he received his Zu Mobius after sending it back because it wouldn't fit on the 650s. After listening to the Zu he realized the synergy it had with the 650. It has the treble extension of the Cardas, the midrange of the Silver Dragon and the bass of the Equinox without any of the flaws of the Cardas or Equinox. The HD-650/Zu Mobius/Max is now his favorite dynamic 'phone combo (finally supplanting the K1000/Equinox/RKV MkII), though his Omega II/KGSS is still his overall favorite. On a side note, if anyone is considering the Omega II, let me suggest the KGSS immediately (forget the Stax amps). My dad was perfectly happy with his SRM-717 and tube-rolled SRM-007t, but the KGSS simply wiped the floor with both of them. In fact, he is so pleased with the KGSS that he is mulling the purchase of the WEEBL and HE90 to compliment the Omegas (just don't tell my mom).

Dec 13, 2003 at 2:31 AM Post #40 of 48
I have had reasonable success with the Cardas; however, it is a very revealing cable and I have not heard the HD650s with cardas cable through a fidelity setup yet. Mine does not qualify.

The cardas is dead liquid smooth running HD600s through my MOH(R) and a top notch vinyl rig. I hear lots of graininess running this combo through my digital sources though.

Its VERY hard to get the 580/600/650 to sound truly natural; they have the right balance but need a firm base to thrive upon, and I think the cardas cable does just fine.

This is in comparision to the two phones' stock cables.

I do not have other cables at hand.

Cheers,
Geek

Dec 13, 2003 at 9:16 AM Post #41 of 48
Zu needs to add a shirt clip like the Ety's. The cable is just so heavy and stiff. There is a nice little "collar" where the left and right cables merge. I talked to Zu about this. Hope they find a good source for shirt clips. The Ety clip does not fit, BTW. It's too small.

-Ed

Dec 13, 2003 at 11:12 AM Post #42 of 48
Edwood, thanks for the great idea! When I lie down to listen I have to tuck the cable into something to keep it from tugging on my head. I will have some kind of tie clip or something on there tonight.

Dec 13, 2003 at 1:17 PM Post #44 of 48
I haven't heard the Zu or the Equinox, but the Moon Audio Silver Dragons sounded very good to me in combination with the 650s, the Cardas I did not enjoy. The Silver Dragon is also a very supple cable, so it isn't an annoyance to use.

Dec 13, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by NeilPeart
My dad recently purchased the HD-650 to replace his HD-600, and he also bought a bunch of cables to try with the new cans. After 150+ hrs. burn-in, he transferred his Cardas from the 600 to the 650. He also tried his Equinox and Moon Silver Dragon.

As far as I know the Moon's silver dragon is still not available - I preordered them from Drew and he told me that the first batch should be available by christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back