Best replacement cable for HD650?
Dec 11, 2003 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Dimitri

100+ Head-Fier
Is there a favorite for these phones yet? Equinox? Cardas? Cardas is $40 cheaper...

Thanks,

Dimitri

Dec 11, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 48
The cardas made a huge difference when I used it with the HD580.

I was very disappointed to discover that isn't the case with the HD650
frown.gif

The cardas makes a very slight improvement over the HD650's stock cable - which is, as mentioned before, a big improvement in sound & build quality over that of the HD580/HD600.

I personally preordered moon's silver dragon - after tuberoller's praise in his aftermarket cables comparison.

For now, the combination Zu + HD650 seems to be favoured ( untill the silver dragon is available... )

Dec 11, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 48
Thanks everyone--sorry about the duplicate posts--I kept getting the "page could not be found" screen and i wasn't sure it was going through.

Dec 11, 2003 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 48
The most expensive cable for HD600/HD650 is Russandrews cable. It is made from Kimber cable conductors.
Doesn't mean it's the best though but it would be cool if someone tried it.

5731xl.jpg

Dec 11, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 48
So are people liking the Zu cable with the 650?

I hope so, I'm hoping to be able to tranfer my Zu cable to the 650 eventually. I have the latest version, so I hope it fits. Anyone have any problems with the latest plugs fitting the 650?

-Ed

Dec 11, 2003 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 48
IMO the ZU cable is much better than the Cardas, and better than the equinox. With the HD650 it is my favorite cable, and the only one I would even consider. Savage bass, sweeeet midrange, and adds just a touch of sparkle to the highs with the HD650's. This pairing is really special. Takes some time for the bass to fully come around but give them 100+ hours and they hit hard and fast.

Dec 11, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by MartinB
The most expensive cable for HD600/HD650 is Russandrews cable. It is made from Kimber cable conductors.
Doesn't mean it's the best though but it would be cool if someone tried it.

5731xl.jpg

MartinB, Do you have a website on these cables?

Dec 11, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #11 of 48
THANK YOU.

Dec 11, 2003 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
IMO the ZU cable is much better than the Cardas, and better than the equinox. With the HD650 it is my favorite cable, and the only one I would even consider. Savage bass, sweeeet midrange, and adds just a touch of sparkle to the highs with the HD650's. This pairing is really special. Takes some time for the bass to fully come around but give them 100+ hours and they hit hard and fast.

Yay!
600smile.gif

This is very re-assuring. I was beginning to worry when I heard some reports of people not liking aftermarket cables with the 650, with some even sounding worse than the stock cable.

-Ed

Dec 11, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 48
I also thought the Equinox was good with the HD650. Just not on the same level as the ZU.

Dec 11, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
I also thought the Equinox was good with the HD650. Just not on the same level as the ZU.

Hi tom- I'm intrigued by the Zu cable and am contemplating trying it. How would you say the two (Equinox/Zu) compare in terms of balance? Tuberoller found the Equinox to be the most balanced cable in that review. At this point I am achieving extremely level and accurate balance in my system and I don't want to disrupt that. Do you find the Equinox to be more balanced? If not, where does it become additive or subtractive compared to the Zu and vice versa? Sounds like the Zu has a bit more open or revealing treble range in some way, has more midrange detail and the bass bigger or more prominent. In your system which cable seems to depart from what you would see as accuracy and nuetrality, which is additive and subtractive and where?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back