Best replacement cable for HD650?
Dec 11, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #16 of 48
Some experiencies and thoughts about HD650 cables:

The stock HD650 cable is quite good, the only problem I had was a slight hardness in the treble. Some others have reported similar impressions. There is not the same need for immediate replacement as with the HD600. You can at least consider to spend the money on a good source or amp first and then upgrade the cable.

In my experience the tonal balance of Zu was close to the stock. It has better resolution and much better bass than the stock but I would not say that the bass is stronger in general. When there is low and strong bass in the recording, Zu lets it through to an amazing extent but it doesn't sound bassy in general. When there is moderate bass levels in the recording, it sounds so.
I don't think Zu has more treble than the stock, in that case only marginally. The treble hardness I heard disappeared and I got a cleaner and more refined treble. Only problem I can have is harshness in bad recordings, but I think this is a problem with recordings because it only happens with recordings that are bad in other aspects also and not on overall good recordings.
Edit: There has been a problem with the Zu plugs but this is fixed.

I have not heard the Russ Andrews cable and it doesn't seem promising. It is substantially more expensive than all other cables and I have not found any reason that it should be that much better. It is made of Kimber PBJ and this has been tested in the PBJ headphone extension cable. What I remember all who have compared, preferred the DiMarzio Big Red or the Hurricane over PBJ.
www.russandrews.com , but not much information on it.
But of course, you can't be shure without testing!

Dec 11, 2003 at 11:44 PM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

I have not heard the Russ Andrews cable and it doesn't seem promising. It is substantially more expensive than all other cables and I have not found any reason that it should be that much better. It is made of Kimber PBJ and this has been tested in the PBJ headphone extension cable.

Anders: Exactly where did you read that?? Read the product information properly before you say something like that!
The R.A. cable is not made of the PBJ cable.
It doesn't say that in the product information about the cable.
However the extension cable is made of PBJ cable.
The R.A. HD600 is made from higher quality copper.

Dec 11, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #19 of 48
Sean H, In my system the Equinox seemed to be a little warmer overall than the ZU. The bass was a little sloppy. I didn't notice how much until I put the ZU on the phones. The ZU doe's indeed create the best bass I've heard on any of the phones I've owned.(with the 650) In my system the HD650's became much more focused and balanced when the ZU's burned in. At first they(stock 650's) seemed pretty bass heavy. now without any loss of bass(probably go deeper) They just seem so balanced. The highs were improved the most. This is the area where the ZU really improved the phones alot. They are so focused and sweet in the treble now. I DON'T mean BRIGHT. The HD650/ZU is without a doubt the best headphones I've owned. Top to Bottom.
I've tried this combo with three different sources, and a couple IC's, and both the SDS amp from Mikhail and for a short time with a Gilmore V1. Same results everytime as far as the sonic signature was concerned. Hope this helps.

Dec 12, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #20 of 48
tom,
have you heard the moon audio silver dragons? They were the preferred chord at the san francisco meet, however the zu's there were the older style so no one was willing to risk their 650s to continually swap them in and out. just curious because I am about a month or two from swapping cables myself.

Dec 12, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Anders
Some experiencies and thoughts about HD650 cables:

The stock HD650 cable is quite good, the only problem I had was a slight hardness in the treble. Some others have reported similar impressions. There is not the same need for immediate replacement as with the HD600. You can at least consider to spend the money on a good source or amp first and then upgrade the cable.

What "need for immediate replacement?" The stock HD600 cable works fine here, there's nothing wrong with it. It conducts electricity very well (like all headphone cables do) and drives the headphones fine, and they sound like Sennheiser intended them to sound. What are you talking about, what "need" is this?

Dec 12, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #22 of 48
Oh boy. Let the flaming begin.........
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Dec 12, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #23 of 48
OK, could be something else than PBJ in the Russ Andrews cable. There is a Kimber extension cable made of PBJ in USA, RA sells a Kimber extension cable they say is made of "KIMBER CABLE" (spelled with caps) and they also sell a HD600 headphone cable, also made of "KIMBER CABLE". In another place they say "KIMBER PBJ" about the extension cable. That they describe KIMBER CABLE as hyper-pure copper doesn't help much and PBJ is also described as hyper-pure. But it can be something else than PBJ in the headphone cable.

They say it works for HD600 but nothing about HD650, so to be correct we don't know if they recommend it for HD650. They charge £250 for the HD600 so it is not the shop of my preference. That is about 360 euros and I can get a HD650 for only slightly more. Can one assume that they have a similar pricing policy for their headphone cable?

Dec 12, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #24 of 48
fewtch,
it has become kind of a tradition to buy an upgrade cable together with HD600 or immediatly after based on my reading of lots of posts at Head-Fi. My impression is that the stock cable of HD650 is of better quality than that for HD600. But don't have both now so I can test.
In both cases you get an improvement with an upgrade cable. In both cases this should be evaluated in relation to the cost and there is a choice not to spend any money at all or spend it on other equipment instead. In my point of view a good source and amp come first. This is what I meant and I am sorry if what I wrote can be interpreted as that I mean that you just have to upgrade the HD600 cable and no other choice.

Dec 12, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #25 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Anders
fewtch,
it has become kind of a tradition to buy an upgrade cable together with HD600 or immediatly after based on my reading of lots of posts at Head-Fi.

Yes I know. I find "traditions" like this rather irritating, as they're based mostly on "do what everyone else says and does, follow the herd." Also (consequently), myths get started like "the HD600 stock cable sounds bad." In my opinion this is a big load of bull (or should I say, sheep), but I've seen it propagated around here before. Ba-a-a-a-a-a-aah!

P.S... that's not to say I think there's something wrong with buying upgrade cables for the HD580/600/650 (although doubtless someone will interpret it that way).

Dec 12, 2003 at 1:59 AM Post #26 of 48
Fewtch, you need to borrow an equinox and then you would understand why people rave about the cable upgrades. The 600/equinox is exceedingly good. Hearing the combo is the only way to truely appreciate the difference.
600smile.gif
Just like you decided the creek amp wasnt so good after you got your meta; you might decide the stock cord isnt so good once you hear an equinox, or zu or moon audio, for that matter. I really like the equinox though.

Dec 12, 2003 at 2:05 AM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
Fewtch, you need to borrow an equinox and then you would understand why people rave about the cable upgrades.

Unless you intend to loan me one or something, this statement seems rather pointless... it's like saying "you need to borrow a pair of Stax SR-007 to see why people think they're so good." How does one respond to a statement like this? "Yeah, I guess so... if you say so."

P.S. it didn't take the Meta to figure out the Creek sucked... it was more a matter of testing and seeing the high intermod distortion and poor frequency response graphs, and mentally connecting it with a warm, grainy sound that I originally thought was coming from my source and/or recordings. PinkFloyd's pictures and description of the insides probably contributed as well. As far as HD600 replacement cables, I have yet to see even the most minor objective test or qualifier.

Dec 12, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #28 of 48
You can't change anyone's mind if they won't try.

Just let him stew in his own bitterness.
rolleyes.gif

Honestly, though it is difficult to do an A/B comparison on the cables of just one 580/600/650. The connector springs are sooooo damn fragile. Especially with the Zu, that sucker is a tight fit.

I didn't need to do an A/B comparison on mine. The difference wasn't that subtle, IMO. Although I have no idea with the 650 or 580, because I don't own one.

Everyone's opinions are different, as is everyone's hearing sensitivity. You can't tell someone exactly what they can or cannot hear. But you can suggest that they don't know what they are missing. :p

-Ed

Dec 12, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
P.S. it didn't take the Meta to figure out the Creek sucked... it was more a matter of testing and seeing the high intermod distortion and poor frequency response graphs, and mentally connecting it with a warm, grainy sound that I originally thought was coming from my source and/or recordings. PinkFloyd's pictures and description of the insides probably contributed as well. As far as HD600 replacement cables, I have yet to see even the most minor objective test or qualifier. [/B]

Really
confused.gif
I remember you ranting over your first meta from doobooloo not sounding as good as the creek. You must not have run your tests yet.
rolleyes.gif
I prefer to listen to the gear myself instead of checking graphs. I find that it really helps to hear what something sounds like before I dismiss it. I also dont put as much stock in all these objective tests because I dont believe they have the technology to always measure what really matters with audio gear. As they say, if it measures bad and it sounds good; your measuring the wrong thing.
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2003 at 3:28 AM Post #30 of 48
I have that Cardas and the ZU...and the ZU sounded better right out of the box. I'm at 30 hours of continuous burn-in so far, and I'm very pleased. I'll let them burn for another couple days. BTW...I thought they fixed the ZU connector problem. I was upset that I had to wiggle the connectors in and out until finally some of the HD650 plastic was worn away enough that I could pop the connectors in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back