Best red/black IEMs with iOS inline remote?
Feb 11, 2018 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ruthieandjohn

Stumbling towards enlightenment
(Formerly known as kayandjohn.)
I’m looking for red and black IEMs to match the vintage iPod U2 Edition Classic I just bought. The U2 iPod Classic is itself special, being as Generation 5.5. the last iPod Classic to use the Wolfson DAC before later models changed to the Cirrus. They need to have the inline remote (play, pause, volume, skip, repeat). I like open transparent treble as Grados are known for, but with at least an average amount of bass.

Ipod Classic U2.jpg
Base 0: Apple iPod Classic Gen 5.5 (U2 Edition) - last with Wolfson DAC

Candidates and thoughts so far:

Beats Tour 2: great looks, better sound than either the urBeats2 or the original Tour, but not great sound

Beats Tour 2.jpg
Candidate 1: Beats Tour 2 - great color match, so-so tone.

Sennheiser Momentum 2 iem: good sound, but sort of metallic rather than bright red color

Sennheiser Momentum 2 iEI.jpg
Candidate 2: Sennheiser Momentum 2 iEI - great sound, but red a bit off.

1MORE Quad: Nice flash of red, but gray instead of black...didn’t care for the 1MORE triple sound (rolled off treble)

1MORE quad.jpg
Candidate 3: 1MORE Quad is more gray than black - 1MORE triple sound not to my liking (rolled off treble)

Philips S1: nice black and red colors, and I enjoyed the S1 in white when it first came out, but not too exciting (flat rather than V response, I suspect)

Philips S1 Black.jpg
Candidate 4: Philips S1 (black) - had it, lacked excitement (flat vs. V frequency response?)

Fender FXA6: red body looks great with black cord, but cord has no remote (might be an aftermarket one I could get)

Fender FXA6.jpg
Candidate 5: Fender FXA6 - Never heard, great color, but no in-line remote (is there an aftermarket cable with one?)

Shure SE535LTD: had and liked the SE535 bronze, but was a bit bass light and fussy to insert

Shure SE535LTD.jpeg
Candidate 6: Shure SE535LTD - Good sound, though weak bass and not too exciting (had bronze version), fussy to insert; red sort of off from iPod.

Shure SE846 black version: never heard them, and no red, but great gloss black.

Shure SE846.jpg
Candidate 7: Shure SE846 - said to be top of line sound (never heard), only black, no red!

I love the sound of my AKG K3003i, but its remote has developed an intermittent short that unexpected turns iPod on/off, and not matching color.

Any comparisons from you having heard more than one, or a new candidate I should consider?

Votes for Candidates 1 through 7 are welcome!

I have a thing for red and black... I have often posted pictures of my red and black FIAT 500 Abarth Cabrio with my Colorware-crafted Sennheiser HD800 headphones and HDVD800 DAC/amp (also have since added a black-and-red Norne Draug 2 XLR balanced cable):

On seat with hat far.png

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 9
I added pictures of each candidate to the post above, as well as a picture of the targeted iPod I seek to match. Also, I find that you indeed can add a cable with remote to the FXA6...it is the Shure SE 535 cable.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 9
Yep, you are right! I tried headphones with inline remote control just today, found the remote didn’t work, thought the iPod was not working, then found that they didn’t have the inline remote capability. Thanks!

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 9
You might look into a SoundMAGIC E10C in red (it is a nice red with black trim). The E10C markedly outperforms its modest price. Maybe check out some pictures of it and see what you think. It is possible it could work for you.

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks, all... bought a pair of red Shure 535 LTD. They should arrive today.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 9
i like them. They have a bit more mids and treble than my SE535s, they are fussy to put in (I am hoping practice will help), and they are a bit light in bass (I’m hoping experimenting with tips will help, as I DO get more bass when I physically press them into my ears.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back