Best recording of .."The Planets".?
Aug 31, 2014 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mikek200

Headphoneus Supremus
although,I have been listening to classical music for many,many years,I am totally unfamiliar to Mahler,in particular,.."The Planets"
Does anyone know of an high quality CD and any other high quality recordings,of Mahler,s work

Thanks,
Mike

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 13
Hello. :) Do you mean The Planets by Gustav Holst?

If so, there are many wonderful options. Performance wise, I'm partial to Sir Gibson / Scottish National Orch on Chandos (CHAN 8302) or Sir Sargent / BBC Sym on BBC Radio Classics (BBCRD 9104). Not for ultimate sound quality in either case (although many feel the Gibson does sound fine). Holst also has other orchestral works I enjoy very much but which tend to be overlooked in the shadow of The Planets. Beni Mora, Somerset Rhapsody, St Paul's Suite and more.

Gustav Mahler is a composer I don't feel conversant enough with yet to make suggestions.

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 13
For Holst's The Planets Mehta/LAPO, Boult or Karajan
For Mahler symphonies Bernstein/NYPO, Tennstedt or Wand

Enjoy!

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 13
  For Holst's The Planets Mehta/LAPO, Boult or Karajan
For Mahler symphonies Bernstein/NYPO, Tennstedt or Wand

Enjoy!

Completely second these!

The Mehta/LAPO is my go-to for this particular work.

Sep 12, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 13
I would also add to the above great recommendations, Simon Rattle and the BPO. It's also a great and dynamic recording.

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 13
Which Karajan? There are several. I like EMI, 60s and digital in that order.

Oct 4, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 13
For a standard CD recording, Mehta/LA Philharmonic.  If you want to go SACD, there are a few sonic blockbusters: Susskind/St. Louis Symphony orchestra, Previn/LSO, and Gardiner/Philharmonia Orchestra.  I have Mehta and Previn on CD, the Previn is a so-so recording.  The Susskind on SACD is hard to find and pricey.  The Gardiner is a newer release but very expensive, as in $100-200 (used).

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 13
  For a standard CD recording, Mehta/LA Philharmonic.  If you want to go SACD, there are a few sonic blockbusters: Susskind/St. Louis Symphony orchestra, Previn/LSO, and Gardiner/Philharmonia Orchestra.  I have Mehta and Previn on CD, the Previn is a so-so recording.  The Susskind on SACD is hard to find and pricey.  The Gardiner is a newer release but very expensive, as in $100-200 (used).

The redbook CD of Susskind is really no slouch either!

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #13 of 13
Cast another vote for LAPhil+Mehta, though the Philharmonia+Gardiner is also great, if a bit "safe".  Boston+Steinberg is worth a listen just to hear Mars at an almost-Holst-conducting clip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back